Silly Cyclists

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Just stumbled upon this -

Silly Cyclists*|*The Youtube Video Series

Good grief...
I didn't know what to expect ... but it is a real eye-opener! Sat here mesmerised by the 'silly cyclists'. Does anyone know if this is confined to London, or are all big cities like this?

No wonder the visiting drivers from the London area aren't as friendly to cyclists as we are!

Worrying!

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Oxford's really bad. I've witnessed many silly crashes and a few have almost taken me out while riding!

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Oxford's really bad. I've witnessed many silly crashes and a few have almost taken me out while riding!
Cyclists taking out other cyclists ??? :eek: !!!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
We don't have many cyclists in Swansea, so I was appalled when I saw how they ride in London. What's the great rush?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We don't have many cyclists in Swansea, so I was appalled when I saw how they ride in London. What's the great rush?
What's the great rush? Making money!

London is the powerhouse of the UK economy, keeping much of the rest of the country. Yes, it's centre of high pressure living, but very successful as a result. Our motorists drive the same way,often scaring those from out of town, but have an enviable accident record and have been voted by the National Association of Chief Police Officers to be the best in Britain.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
In my experience (cycling through London rush hour every day) it makes no difference to journey time being sensible and safe. I'd rather arrive than end up under a bus.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
It certainly add's weight to flecc's debate of the registration of bikes, ie - number plates, camera's placed at the light jumping hot spots would generate some revenue.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It certainly add's weight to flecc's debate of the registration of bikes, ie - number plates, camera's placed at the light jumping hot spots would generate some revenue.....
That's one approach. Since the roads at lights have induction loops and the like installed, an alternative would be to have a steel strip pad with a close set of spikes like the police stingers coupled to the lights and rising on red. That would make red light jumping by anyone very unpopular!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What's the great rush? Making money!

Our motorists drive the same way,often scaring those from out of town, but have an enviable accident record and have been voted by the National Association of Chief Police Officers to be the best in Britain.
Now strangely enough, although London Traffic has a fearsome reputation amongst my friends, I find that in general, London drivers are far more skilled and courteous than in Swansea.
You just try changing lanes here, you will be hooted and generally considered the spawn of Satan. However, in London, motorists seem used to cars changing lanes. Possibly because the place is so big, even locals can get lost.
For bad driving and fatal crashes, rural Wales is the place.
Even though the roads are narrow, locals drive along at 70mph as though on rails, even around bends. They only need to meet a slow moving tractor and they have had it.
Because the roads are generally empty, they overtake on blind corners.
Mostly they get away with it, but sooner or later fate intervenes.

hillwalkinggirl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2012
Now strangely enough, although London Traffic has a fearsome reputation amongst my friends, I find that in general, London drivers are far more skilled and courteous than in Swansea.
You just try changing lanes here, you will be hooted and generally considered the spawn of Satan. However, in London, motorists seem used to cars changing lanes. Possibly because the place is so big, even locals can get lost.
For bad driving and fatal crashes, rural Wales is the place.
Even though the roads are narrow, locals drive along at 70mph as though on rails, even around bends. They only need to meet a slow moving tractor and they have had it.
Because the roads are generally empty, they overtake on blind corners.
Mostly they get away with it, but sooner or later fate intervenes.
Mike I agree that the driving in London traffic is better than Swansea, but have you seen London drivers driving along our narrow lanes in Pembrokeshire. They seem to think that all country lanes are one way, (that being the way they are going). My daughter who lives in Swansea seems to have a novel way of changing lanes at roundabouts. She just keeps going round the roundabout until she can get in the right lane.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
have you seen London drivers driving along our narrow lanes in Pembrokeshire. They seem to think that all country lanes are one way, (that being the way they are going).
That's the impression that skill with speed gives! The acid test is, do they hit anything? I bet virtually none do.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
That's the impression that skill with speed gives! The acid test is, do they hit anything? I bet virtually none do.
I must admit that the London drivers here in Norfolk do tend not to hit anything, but the rest of us are left in their wake with hedge scratches on the nearside of our cars avoiding the collision that would otherwise occur.:(

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Continuing.....should be Cyclists Darwin awards...Just returned from a walk to my local inconvenience store..on my journey to and return I observed three cyclists, 1st - Black MTB, black clothing, no helmet, no lights, a Ninja as they are called, 2nd, the 'good cyclist' Lycra brigade, 2 rear lights, 2 front lights, helmet, fluro back pack with reflective's.
3rd- Black MTB, black shorts,black top,green back back,helmet, no lights, another Ninja...

Just baffles me,riding with no lights.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Continuing.....should be Cyclists Darwin awards...Just returned from a walk to my local inconvenience store..on my journey to and return I observed three cyclists, 1st - Black MTB, black clothing, no helmet, no lights, a Ninja as they are called, 2nd, the 'good cyclist' Lycra brigade, 2 rear lights, 2 front lights, helmet, fluro back pack with reflective's.
3rd- Black MTB, black shorts,black top,green back back,helmet, no lights, another Ninja...

Just baffles me,riding with no lights.
A chap I used to know often drove his large car either with no lights on or just sidelights - "I have excellent eyesight. I can detect another vehicle a mile off." Sadly, no longer with us. Mind you, the same fate befalls lots of motorists with full beam on ...

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
A chap I used to know often drove his large car either with no lights on or just sidelights - "I have excellent eyesight. I can detect another vehicle a mile off." Sadly, no longer with us. Mind you, the same fate befalls lots of motorists with full beam on ...
If they have no lights on, they are quite difficult to hit. I have to use a night-sight to get a bead on them! Score for a Ninja hit has been increased to 10 ... child bike with stabilisers reduced to 5 ...

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thoroughly entertaining You Tube clips, in a just when you think you've seen it all type way!
The trouble is the Daily Mail, Jeremy Vine listeners and the non cycling public end up thinking all cyclists are like that and should be banned/tar and feathered/castrated, etc etc...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A chap I used to know often drove his large car either with no lights on or just sidelights -
Years ago when I used to often stay in remote country hotel locations and arrange a very early departure in darkness, I often used to drive for many miles without any lights on the empty roads, With the vision unaffected by the artifical light from headlights, the night vision we have can be quite extraordinary and an enjoyable experience. Instead of a narrow view, it becomes a wide view of all the detail, seeing rabbit, weasel, fox etc not just crossing the road but well before and beyond either side, plus detailed views across fields. Try it if you ever get the opportunity, as your eyes adjust you may surprise yourself with how much you can see.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Thoroughly entertaining You Tube clips, in a just when you think you've seen it all type way!
The trouble is the Daily Mail, Jeremy Vine listeners and the non cycling public end up thinking all cyclists are like that and should be banned/tar and feathered/castrated, etc etc...
I concur, what concerns me, If cyclists will not voluntary adhere to the legal requirements of cycle use, and accident statistics become 'unacceptable' which will no doubt be underlined by the cost to the NHS.
Could prompt discussions on introducing some form of legislation.

Advertisers