Silverfish / X-GO batteries for Ezee Bike Torq Mk 1 ?

Planetcooler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2007
Anyone tried using one of these (Silverfish / X-GO) batteries on the early Ezee bikes? Dimensions look fine - but will need to fit the different 2 pin connector. Not too fussed about the original locking / slide arrangement. Had enough of rebuilding the battery pack......
Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Mark 1 Torq models had a very greedy controller, particularly if derestricted, nominally 20 amps but in truth capable of very much more. Using the throttle freely meant only 15 miles for the 360Wh battery, 24 Wh per mile, a crazy consumption rate.

They often wrecked the early Li-manganese batteries in months and I have doubts whether even today's Silverfish batteries will be able to deliver the current they can demand in difficult territory.

But of course if you are in a flatter area, no tough hill climbs, they might be ok together.

Reactions: Planetcooler

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Anyone tried using one of these (Silverfish / X-GO) batteries on the early Ezee bikes? Dimensions look fine - but will need to fit the different 2 pin connector. Not too fussed about the original locking / slide arrangement. Had enough of rebuilding the battery pack......
Thanks
You can use any 36v battery you want and fit it wherever you want. I think it would be better to fit a downtube battery and convert your old one to a storage box by removing the cell-pack and doing whatever other adjustments necessary.

You should choose a battery that has a maximum continuous discharge of 20A or more - say 25A.

Planetcooler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2007
The Mark 1 Torq models had a very greedy controller, particularly if derestricted, nominally 20 amps but in truth capable of very much more. Using the throttle freely meant only 15 miles for the 360Wh battery, 24 Wh per mile, a crazy consumption rate.

They often wrecked the early Li-manganese batteries in months and I have doubts whether even today's Silverfish batteries will be able to deliver the current they can demand in difficult territory.

But of course if you are in a flatter area, no tough hill climbs, they might be ok together.
Thanks for this. Didn't know about the greedy controller - but I did try deregulating the bike briefly in early days. 1st battery didn't last long. 2nd was much better, then I rebuilt one with new cells in 2014. Has lasted until now - on some pretty demanding Cornish hills. So - probably prepared to have another go........the rest of the bike has lasted pretty well.......

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for this. Didn't know about the greedy controller - but I did try deregulating the bike briefly in early days. 1st battery didn't last long. 2nd was much better, then I rebuilt one with new cells in 2014. Has lasted until now - on some pretty demanding Cornish hills. So - probably prepared to have another go........the rest of the bike has lasted pretty well.......
Yes, the battery quality is important with the early Torq 1, but if you are using the bike restricted it will be much easier on the battery.

I was one of the earliest owners in 2006, first battery 3 months, second (free) battery lasted 10 months by trying to look after it. A new generation of battery free from Ezee in January 2008 to try it lasted nearly two years. All lithium, all usage derestricted.

The best battery on it was Ezee's original 36 volt 9Ah NiMh battery.

Advertisers