SIMPLES

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
RANT
J**** is there no simple GPS for a BIKE, I don't want my heart rate known, my average speed, my fastest speed how I compare to Wiggins,I JUST want to know where I am GPS, and a map.to help me know where I am going.I used to use Ordance survey , But at 80 I cannot see the bloody things.
I have a G P S that tells me exactly where I am in Venice, Tuscany, etc in My M/H..It should be easy

PLESE HELP A OLD BLOKE (qv)

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
I know this may seem stupid but a normal tomtom sat nav will do the job you need as fully charged they will run for ages , pop into Halfords and have a look , all the best

D

Deleted member 4366

A normal smartphone can do all the navigation a standalone GPS can do, and you can make phone calls too - if you want. You can get old model used ones on ebay from about £10. You don't need a SIM card to use the GPS, but you need wifi at home to download the maps.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-GT-S5830I-Onyx-Black-Unlocked-Smartphone-/222562248143?epid=115160726&hash=item33d1be65cf:g:FywAAOSwCmZZU4Vw

if you want a big screen, get a galaxy note:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-GT-N7100-16GB-Black-Smartphone-Open-Network-32gb-SD-/322575153094?hash=item4b1afa37c6:g:ulkAAOSwHLNZV~K2

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I bought one of these brand new just for the GPS (and it is my alarm clock) I only paid 67€ because I had bought other products and had points to use.

https://www.energysistem.com/en/products/smartphone/smartphone_series/42499-energy_phone_max_4000

I chose it because:
- the screen is big enough at 5"
- it has a 4000 mAh battery which really does last three days
- it takes up to 128 Gb of microSD (I have 64 Gb) so holds a lot of maps

I have oruxmaps installed with cycling maps for south west France, the Pyrenees and Spain.

And in an emergency the phone will dial 112 without a sim card in Spain (not in France or the UK) source Wikipedia:

The pan-European 112 code was introduced in the UK in April 1995 with little publicity. It connects to existing 999 circuits. The GSM standard mandates that the user of a GSM phone can dial 112 without unlocking the keypad, a feature that can save time in emergencies but that also causes some accidental calls. All mobile telephones will make emergency calls with the keypad locked. Originally a valid SIM card was not required to make a 999/112 emergency call in the UK. However, as a result of high numbers of untraceable hoax calls being made, this feature is now blocked by all UK networks. Most UK mobile telephone handsets will dial 999/112 without a SIM inserted (or with a locked/invalid SIM), but the call will not be connected. Following the blocking of SIM-less calls, in 2009 the UK networks introduced emergency call roaming. This allows a user with a valid SIM of a UK network to make emergency calls on any network for which they have coverage.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I feel the same as you, I've tried the smart 'phone thing but found it a faff. So I take the tomtom out of the car and keep it in my Carradice handle bar box. Works with the lid closed. I work it of the rechargeable battery pack that powers my front light, it has a usb plug.

Advertisers