So I went to a trail centre...

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Warning: Very long rambling description of my two days out. Look at the pictures for a summary.

So I finally plucked up the courage to go to a trail centre, but not before I found a happy solution to being worried about holding faster folks up and possibly getting stick about being electric. My answer... to go out to remote mid Wales to a mtb trail in a forest in the middle of nowhere! Destination : Coed Trallwym (west of Builth Wells, in the southern portion of the Cambrian Mountains).

Sure enough, when I turned up the car park was deserted and I had the place all to myself. Sadly the cafe was closed but the owner was outside doing some painting. The forest is privately owned and you pay £2 to park and ride the trails. There's a short green, one blue, red and black. Reading internet reviews people think the harder ones are somewhat overgraded. The guy was very friendly and helpful, opening up the toilet for me specially and pointing me in the right direction to start.

I thought green would be too wimpy so I had a go at the blue. It starts with a stream splash. Which I got down to alright but couldn't get right on either of my 2 attempts, much to my frustration. Not a good start. But it was nothing to dwell on as the trail was immediately beautiful, winding gently downhill though lush moss covered ground with a stream running by the side. Then came the slog up forestry tracks. This was made easy by the KTM.

One of the forestry climbs in a beautiful setting

The climb led to a large area that had been cut in the fairly recent past. I always feel that freshly felled forest looks a bit like a nuclear wasteland and not is as attractive to pass through than full forest. The trail wove in zigzags through the stumpy devastation with a grand view over the valley. There were a couple of points that had me thinking 'eek!', a drop off that I didn't like the angle of the landing and a sharp fairly steep switchback that would have you falling into a stream gulley if you didn't make it! But these things aside, I enjoyed the faster flowing parts of the trail and when it descended back into the mature trees again.

I decided that riding the trail once was enough since my plan had been to charge my battery in the cafe over some lunch, but that plan was off the menu with the cafe closed so I wanted to make sure the bike had plenty of pep for a ride in the surrounding area. With hindsight I should have stuck to my original idea of riding on the roads and taking a bridleway to Llyn Brianne Reservoir, but I got talked into a different plan by the cafe owner. He said I should be on the mountains since I had a mountain bike, that the views up there were glorious and that the bridleway was likely to be muddy. So off I went and as I departed he promised to phone mountain rescue if I wasn't back by dusk.

It was this journey that taught me some fundamental lessons in basic mountain biking...

Number one was that if you attempt a stream crossing and don't make it then you will put your foot down wherever you come to a unfortunate halt. ie. in the middle of a stream! I was wearing waterproof shoes, but even these become ineffective when the water floods over the top and right inside. This was the first flooded shoe incident.

A moody shot of the stream that did for my shoe. It only looks small!

Dusting off my wounded pride I proceeded to follow the forest roads north into the mountains proper. The route I had intended to follow headed across the mountaintop towards the southern end of the Elan reservoirs. I would then cut east to the highest point and come down through another area of forest before heading back along the road. I hadn't thought to load maps to my phone so I only had an OS map to navigate by.

Quite rapidly the tone was set for the mountaintop ride and that tone was BOG! Blooming annoying sucky bog! Lesson number two - I can't ride uphill through bog and that if you try and ride through proper bog on the flat then you come to a slurpy stop in the thick of it and have to put your foot down... in the bog! Flooded shoe number two!

The safety of the forestry left behind - the bog begins!

This was the kind of place that requires walking boots in the summer and was about as dry as it was likely to get. Wrestling the bike through the muck, trying not to get even more bog in my shoes was exhausting, even with the help of my walk assistance button. I ploughed on. Next challenge was a very steep sided stream which was like an ice skating rink of algae on smooth rock when I tried to cross it. I did this part very gingerly indeed!

Phew, I'm across the stream! Now just more bog to worry about.

By now I'm really knackered. I bought this electric bike to make things easier, but it's anything but easy. Off in the far distance I can see the lumps of the cairns I want to pass. But they seem very far away!

I'm trying to get to those two imperceptibly small humps in the distance.

I start dropping height and I'm looking for a left hand turn towards the summit. But the bridleway becomes really indistinct as it crosses a particularly wide bog with steps of peat and I'm not even sure I'm on the path anymore, let alone where the course change I need to take is. I learned the hard way on the Sugarloaf that following what could be a sheep track is a fool's errand as it will peter out leaving you stranded.

With two hours spent already and a lot of ground to cover, I'm seriously worried that making it back before dusk may prove impossible if I'm forced to backtrack if I go further on. I don't want the mountain rescue looking for me! So with a heavy heart I must admit defeat, turn around and face all the boggy and stream related obstacles I've just fought so hard to cross!

To be continued...

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk

At least I'm rewarded with a fantastic view towards the Brecon Beacons so the effort was worth it.

It was with much relief that I returned to the forestry tracks and easy riding. I honestly don't know how mountain bikers cope with boggy conditions. The cafe owner was a biker himself so one presumes he could cover that ground okay? I decided not to finish the day on defeat so I rode the first part of the blue track again then picked up the road and enjoyed the valley views from a charming country lane. I also helped an elderly motorcyclist find the way to Tregaron, lucky I was there with my map!

Mid Wales - quiet, remote and beautiful. Ideal lanes to ride, just don't get flattened by a logging lorry!

One high point of the day was meeting a 50 something mountain biker with a camper van. He was touring all the trail centres in Wales. He was a guy with a fab attitude to life that made me realise how much I over-think stuff and worry. I wish I was more like him with a laissez faire attitude to the world. He said he'd just cycled his best trail yet, not so many miles away at Cwm Rhaeadr. He urged me to go and try it. I mentally bookmarked this since I didn't have enough time that day.

Well it would be rude to waste this run of good weather so I took another day trip with the intention of visiting his recommendation then going on to the beach at Llansteffan (Wales' best kept secret).

Three days later I pulled up at the car park for the trail and unloaded my bike. I went a bit squiffy at first as the initial part is the only bit lacking a clear signpost. Realising I was on a disabled path (a great place for a nature loving wheelchair user!) I hastily turned back and found the right way to go through a gate. Once again I had the mountain biking to myself with only one other car parked up belonging to a walker.

The ascent is up wide forestry tracks but with a view that gradually opens up to your left as you climb. I stopped to eat blackberries and when the willowherb is out it must be a riot of pink by the trackside. A buzzard swopped low over me and I followed behind it grinning in pleasure.

Just after I saw the buzzard. Sorry for the poor quality of the last three pics, they were taken on my phone.

As the track rose I got my first tantalising glimpse of a great waterfall plunging from the mountain cliff in the distance. And what a reward it was when I reached the top of the track and was rewarded with the most spectacular of view spots.

Peace and tranquilly ruled up here.

The moment was breathtaking. Such a stunning view that made me sit a long time and contemplate the grandeur of nature and the scale and epic worth of such wonderful places on our planet.

You can see the waterfall in the distance in the cleft of the valley.

This was where it became singletrack. With a warning sign prohibiting pedestrians and walkers and grading the route as red I got somewhat intimidated. The thin track was essentially on the side of a mountain and whilst the drop wasn't a cliff, it was still quite sheer if you fell off. I paused to steel my confidence then started the red run with butterflies in my stomach. Quite quickly the track did a switchback on slate covered ground. I had the wrong gear and had to get off. Annoyed with myself I got back on and restarted. I realised how nervous I was. I was out here alone with no other bikers coming this way and no one to get help for me if I was hurt. I knew from my motorbiking that riding tense is a surefire way to ride rubbish. So I dialled up some chill out tunes on my phone and shoved the worry to one side.

The trail started to pick up pace and I started to get into it, but pretty soon there was a drop off the likes of which I had never done before. I came to a stop and looked over the edge. I considered chickening out and pushing the bike down. But no. I hung off the back of the bike and hoped for the best. I made it!!! And the next one!!! Then thick and fast I was bouncing over humps and dips, being carried along in a gigantic thrill ride of speed and suspension of gravity. Wow! Was this fun!!! The trail had the perfect flow that dictated a natural pace and a feeling of safety whilst pushing my riding skills. It was simply sublime and I hurtled along weaving through the trees. The forest here was so much more pleasant than the ugly cut stumps of Coed Trallwym. It was the perfect melding of ambience and awesome trail. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster that I controlled. What a thrill!

Once I reached the bottom with a massive grin on my face I thought about going up again. But I decided a chill out on the beach was what was needed next and that I would return here again, eager and hungry to repeat the fun.

Llansteffan topped off the day nicely. Fish n chips, chillin in the sun on the sand between the rocks, sandy feet and a walk up to the clifftop castle. A day I shan't forget in a hurry. And now I want to do more trails and I'm no longer scared of trail centres!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What a nice, helpful man in the cafe.

Bet he wouldn't have been so keen to assist if you were Tom Cat rather than Tin Kitten.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Well done for tackling those trails, not everyone could do it, me included.

You mention fitting a prop stand in another thread.

Most bolt on to the chainstay, which moves up and down on your bike.

I think it will work OK, because the weight of the leaning bike won't be enough to depress the shock absorber and cause the bike to topple.

But I don't know that, so might be worth asking the question.

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Well done for tackling those trails, not everyone could do it, me included.

You mention fitting a prop stand in another thread.

Most bolt on to the chainstay, which moves up and down on your bike.

I think it will work OK, because the weight of the leaning bike won't be enough to depress the shock absorber and cause the bike to topple.

But I don't know that, so might be worth asking the question.
I'm going to be going back to E-Motion for it's first service to check everything is okay and I've asked them to source a prop stand when I do. They didn't seem to think it was a problem, which was better than me who couldn't source one by my internet skillz. We shall see what they come up with.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Is it possible to both smile and feel sympathy. :)

As usual another fantastic write up and photos. I need to hurry up and get down to Malpas to see my sister, and also to get out and have a play around your neck of the woods. :)
Thanks also for the name of the beach. I'll have to venture along to see that at the same time.

Don't beat yourself up over things, you have years to practice and play. I have certainly done both the stream stop and bog stop. I normally end up under the bike though, so you did well on both occasions. :)

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Thanks everyone for your kind words about my ride report. Hopefully you all got a little taste of my ride vicariously through my description and pictures. :)

I enjoyed my trips on the trails of Mid Wales so much that I was determined to ride some more this week whilst the weather held dry and the trails would be less slippery. The next destination I set my sights on was the Forest of Dean, an easy drive away. Nestled in a wooded valley, the trail centre has everything one could want for a quiet or exciting cycle experience. There's bike hire on offer, toilets and showers, a cafe which sells basic food, a shop selling all sorts of downhill armour and helmets and a bike workshop. All in addition to a mix of trails ranging from a long easy green aimed at pootling families, to blue, red and even a selection of downhills.

I parked up and was immediately slightly intimidated by the much busier atmosphere which oozed of serious downhill mountain bikers and their expensive machines. Body armoured bikers lounged nonchalantly with cups of coffee whilst one of them rode tight circles, did fancy little flourishes and generally looked like he was born on two wheels. As I collected some lunch I realised I'd almost forgotten to buy my parking ticket because of my nervousness of 'proper' mountain bikers. I instructed myself not to be so woosy and hoped that my bike wouldn't attract any negative comments when I loaded it off the car. As it was, no-one was around by the time I got going.

I headed straight off onto the blue 'Verderers Trail'. It's billed as 7 miles of flowy singletrack with a couple of optional red sections and quite highly rated judging by reviews on the interweb. After the fun of Cwm Rhaeader I had high hopes for this track.

Beech forest opens out into light as the nature of the forest changes along the course of the route.

Maybe it was that I had already ridden the mecha of mtb tracks at Cwm Rhaeader, but I was disappointed with this track. I threw in the optional red bits to spice things up a bit and only came to a halt once as I adjusted my line for a tricky bank on a corner. Otherwise I was up for riding at speed, not really noticing the scenery much and expecting the rollercoaster ride of the other two trails I had ridden. The reality of what I got was mostly a bone shaking, wrist aching pummelling caused by the awful surface that littered much of the course. Imagine riding over cobblestones, but replace the nice smooth cobbles with sharp pointy rocks. The result was the huge juddering vibrations that jolted through the bike and me (despite the full sus), took the edge off my speed and made the whole ride really uncomfortable and frustrating as I knew if I wasn't getting shaken to pieces like this I could go much faster. And it was quite a good proportion of the track, and pretty much all of the really fun features like the rollers. I guess this track is very well used and probably wasn't like this when it was first built.

In the car park where I stopped for a drink I had a chat with a nice grey haired Australian lady who was out cycling with her family on hire bikes. Her husband was a mountain biker and she asked if I had 'stacked it yet'. To this question I replied 'What, you mean have I crashed? No not yet...' What a question!!! A couple of weeks ago my husband had asked if I had dropped my smart phone yet. In one and a half years I hadn't and I replied as such. AND THEN... as if the question was a curse, I proceeded to drop it seriously three times in the next week (luckily it still works but the case isn't pretty anymore). So why did this lady have to ask me that question??? I didn't think much of it at the time, not until later... but back to the story...

A bit perplexed and hungry for a smoother trail I used my new found confidence to attempt the red 'FreeMiners Trail' so named after the Forest of Dean inhabitants who still mine the hills as individuals even to this day. This was much shorter at 4.5 miles and I knew that the surface was much more invaded by tree roots on this route.

It got off to a pretty tricky start (by my standards), probably to put any newbies off before they got too far. I wondered if I was in over my head but I didn't want to wimp out and there's only certain places you can bail off these trails anyway. You certainly can't turn back and retrace your steps so it was full steam ahead.

I started getting into the flow, squiggled round and bumped over tree routes, weaved round conifers and stumps, and dived down steep banks. Then came an innocent looking set of slightly off camber slabs of rock like big broad slightly wonky stepping stones laid up against one another. It was wide enough that you didn't need pinpoint accuracy so I mounted the obstacle sat happily in my seat. This was my mistake. The angles of the stones in the 'rock garden' got more abrupt and by the time I realised I needed to stand to correct my balance and lift a little weight off the front, it was too late. I failed to make the next slab and the front wheel got channeled by the route of least resistance, which happened to be in a different direction to me and the momentum I was carrying. We parted company and I did a very graceful landing on my feet whilst the bar end and rear brake lever copped the brunt of the bike's fall. Thank you Australian lady, I've now 'stacked it' and on a bit where I knew I should have been okay if not for my stupid error of judgement. At least I've got falling off out of the way and it could have been much worse. I wish I'd gone back to ride that bit again so I could have ticked it off but instead I jumped back on hoping no-one was catching up behind.

The rest of the track was challenging and thrilling in its difficulty. The uphill sections had tight hairpins, all of which I made but was steep. I was riding on 'auto' power as this setting strikes a great balance on delivering power when you need it and backing off a bit when you aren't working as hard, therefore stretching the battery life a bit more and giving me slightly more exercise than if I'd just stuck it into 'high' mode. I stopped to catch my breath and enjoyed the butterflies flitting by. I even disturbed a woodpecker and one point and got a great view of it before it took flight in panic. The climb rewarded me with a good section back down the hill which began with a drop off which looked titanic. The angle of approach made it look like you were dropping off a cliff and so I pulled up short of it. On all the tricky stuff people had made routes around the edge of it, perhaps to cop out or perhaps to beat fastest times on Strava. I considered taking the easy route as I peeked over the edge, but noticed there was an extra slab of rock you couldn't see in advance which softened the drop somewhat. With a huge flutter of nerves I backed up and went for it! Wow, I made it! And realised that if I was headed in a straight line and put my weight as low and as far back as possible then I was capable of surviving such obstacles.

Encouraged by adrenaline and success I proceeded to tackle more and more tricky tree rooted sections, berms, drop offs and switchbacks. Not that fast granted, but I was going great in my mind. I did decide to give a balance bar a miss. Only a foot wide it kinked left and right and it was evident that many riders had come off the side, probably grinding their bike and jarring themselves badly in the process due to the drop. But straight afterwards was a series of 5 jumps which must have been a couple of foot high. There was a route marked to skip the jumps but I headed into them. I made 4 out of 5 before I had lost too much speed to attempt the fifth. It wasn't graceful as I really just plopped off the end, but I had a flush off pride in the achievement. Onwards I sped, feeling invincible!

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Until I came to right near the end where the track suddenly turned into a series of monster S bends with a huge drop off the first one which was tricky enough for being approached from a corner, with a tree to crash into if you ran wide. But the real problem was that the roots of said tree had criss-crossed across the top of the drop so that a clean turn in was extremely hard. And this caught me unprepared. So I came at it badly, realised that I was not in a great position, tried to stop, made things worse for losing the speed as my front wheel got turned off course just as the point of no return was made. Well I stayed on the bike, but it was legs flailing, an ungraceful plough up the opposite bank where the track went round and a lot of blue language of fear. I was just pronouncing a particularly loud exclamation involving colourful words about my close call when I realised there were some bikers on the forestry track only a few meters away. Time to hastily shut up and keep riding before they laugh at me!

I came off the red run red faced from exertion and fear and staggered into the cafe for a green tea to settle my nerves. Overall I was proud though. A group of bikers passed me hooking my bike to the rail and one commented on the bike. I went on to tell him how much fun it was and he said I should have lots of 'Queen of the Mountains'. I said I wouldn't try to unfairly nick anyone's Strava records and he laughed and said he would if he was me. I was pleased that the encounter was friendly and I suspect that most bikers think that an electric bike it kind of cheating but also have that look in their eye which makes them wish they could sometimes ditch the hard uphill bit and just enjoy the downhill fun which we can do on our pedelecs.

I rounded my trip off with a circuit of the 11 mile family trail. A wide easy surface takes you gently uphill in a large loop passing round the area of forest enclosing a sculpture trail and populated by wild boar. I enjoyed winding down and stopped to photograph some nice scenery.

This picture is a bit misleading as that's a footpath that the cycle way passes by. The light was nice though so it had to be photographed.

Coming back down the hill leads to a series of pretty lakes with ducks and swans on them.

You can cheat and drive to these if you don't fancy the exercise.

So my day was done. A mix of disappointment, thrill, failure and success. But I think I am quietly hooked as I have the yearning to find another trail and ride it. The KTM is holding up great to the punishment but I need to find a better way to clean it as it's a job with no kickstand or bike stand. Time to open the purse I think to get properly equipped.

Finally I'll leave you with a couple of pictures from the Elan Valley. I arranged a daytrip with my mum the day after the Forest of Dean outing. The idea was to ride the road from the Claerwn Reservoir back round to Caban-coch Reservoir. Nothing too challenging but very pretty. Unfortunately it had been ages since mum had been on her Freego Folding ebike and she'd forgotten how to use the controls. Whilst I returned to the car to get something for her she fiddled with the throttle controls (even though it was the power she wanted to change which was on the other handlebar). I came back to find mum and bike in the ditch by the side of the road a mere 150 yards from where we had started. Poor mum had a twisted ankle (the bike was fine). So that put pay to that idea and she ended up insisting that I had a ride by myself whilst she admired the view. She pointed out a nice looking track across the river and suggested that might make a nice ride.

Promising to only be gone about an hour or so I took her suggestion and forded the river (pushing the bike). The track which was actually a BOAT had looked idyllic from across the way, was not at all like that close up. Huge flooded sections, stream crossings, bog and lots of tricky rocks provided a very challenging surface which got me pushing the bike on many stretches.

The mighty Claerwen Dam in the background brings a wild and rugged valley to an end.

My progress was slow but the scenery marvellous. I worried that I might not be back in the hour I promised and wished I had mobile phone signal.

These lovely beech trees sheltered the remains of what once must have been someone's home, now just a ruined cottage.

Having had two boggy excursions off road in the area, I think I've learnt the lesson that relaxing riding is to be found on the road round here.

The surface was mostly worse than this, honest!

It took me one hour to reach the first river crossing and a mere 10 minutes to ride back on the road to mum. I was really glad of my new found trail skills that I had practiced the day before. I think I'm getting better at this mountain biking lark! :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Thanks for another cracking good read, TK.

Reckon that backlit shot of the bike by the footpath barrier will be gracing an ebike magazine article before long.

I'm having problems with my low-speed balance, partickly getting round uphill switchbacks , but didn't really come a cropper today...
Until, riding back to the carpark on the green trail, misjudged the line through a nice series of swooping curves & got Just too close to the edge of an earth hump-back over a big old drainage pipe; tried to get a foot down...
And disembarked in an ignominious heap in the, luckily, dry streambed:
Quick look round to see if anyone was watching & back to the van, quick. :cool::D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good stuff, sounds like you are fairly hardcore already.

You should go for a ride with Eddie, I reckon he's one of the few on here who could keep up with you.

I will come, too, but only to drive the van and keep a kettle boiling on a camping stove in the car park.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Thanks for another cracking good read, TK.

Reckon that backlit shot of the bike by the footpath barrier will be gracing an ebike magazine article before long.

I'm having problems with my low-speed balance, partickly getting round uphill switchbacks , but didn't really come a cropper today...
Until, riding back to the carpark on the green trail, misjudged the line through a nice series of swooping curves & got Just too close to the edge of an earth hump-back over a big old drainage pipe, tried to get a foot down...
And disembarked in an ignominious heap in the dry streambed:
Quick look round to see if anyone was watching & back to the van, quick.
Uphill switchbacks seem to be all about getting into the right gear before turning the corner I think. If you back off your pedalling slightly in order to do the tricky tip round the corner then immediately give it some grunt as you straighten up then that pulls you upright again and powers you into a straight line and back on balance. But it only works if you are in just the right gear to do so. Does that make any sense? Not that I'm an expert, lol!

As for your off, it does seem to happen when one relaxes and gets a bit carried away I think. You guys make me feel better that it's not just me making a mess up here and there (in a purely selfish way), hee hee.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Good stuff, sounds like you are fairly hardcore already.

You should go for a ride with Eddie, I reckon he's one of the few on here who could keep up with you.

I will come, too, but only to drive the van and keep a kettle boiling on a camping stove in the car park.
You guys should come to Wales and ride with me. I'm not hardcore really! All this is done at a pace that would make proper mountain bikers laugh. :)

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
All this is done at a pace that would make proper mountain bikers laugh. :)
I'm no mountain biker, but I suspect the obsession with speed is fairly recent and has a lot to do with Strava.

Trying to go faster and faster can only lead to ever more serious crashes and is futile.

Better, I think, to concentrate on riding the trail in a smoother, neater, more technically elegant way.

That brings its own reward, and you will still be quick because you will be nipping through obstacles without slowing down so much.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I'm no mountain biker, but I suspect the obsession with speed is fairly recent and has a lot to do with Strava.
All ebikers have a responsibilty to smash Strava into the ground. Get out there and start taking KoM's off people. Riders will stop using Strava when they eventually realise the futility of it all . Then we can all get back to enjoying a ride, rather than every ride being a race :)

Advertisers