Solar Charging ?

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
OK here's a thing ..this summer I fitted a conversion kit on y Specialized Rockhopper and it's great, had a few teething troubles but now it works great fast enough , powerful enough to get up the hills, feels safe and rock solid ...So as it is very sunny here ,I thought how about extending the project into making the bike solar powered ...with a photovoltaic panel on the roof of my workshop ...where I keep me bike ...what I can't decide is ...do I fit a panel that charges deep cycle leisure batteries connect them to an inverter to make 240 volts then plug the 36volt charger into that.... or have a set up that just makes the 36 volts to charge the bike battery .. Has anyone done this ? This project is in the early planning stage so any input is useful ...point out pitfalls please....proper planning prevents poor performance ....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-biking enthusiasts A to B Magazine did this and found the best results from having shed roof panels charging leisure batteries.

They've covered this subject in various issues but the main one I believe was issue number 37, contents on this link

They will send you the article free on application to:

A to B Magazine

atob@atob.org.uk
atob@onetel.com

01305 259998
+44 1305 259998

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I would have said battery storage from the panels as well
You will get a much more stable voltage that way .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Thanks for the response ....I think batteries and inverter is the way to go ...up here in the mountains having an off grid 240 volt supply could also get used for other stuff ,in a not infrequent power outage ......

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the response ....I think batteries and inverter is the way to go ...up here in the mountains having an off grid 240 volt supply could also get used for other stuff ,in a not infrequent power outage ......
Just be a little.careful, some members have had issues using their mains chargers connected to lesuire batteries and inverters

Indeed I have killed a charger by connecting it to cars inbuilt 240v supply (clearly via an invertor). Car is a Ford smax though prob not relevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Oh right thanks for the warning , do we know what the problem is ?
Problems arise when cheaping out on the inverter. Be sure to use a 'pure sine wave' inverter, not a 'modified sine wave' inverter, which puts excessive strain on delicate digital electronics.

Advertisers