Soldering Iron

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
My trusty soldering iron has packed up. I have had it for nearly 40 years and despite being rated at only 30w has done most things I've asked from it and done them well.

I bought a 50w iron a couple of years ago as a standby but it is useless. It has a steel tip rather than copper and has considerably less soldering power than the old 30w iron.

A few weeks ago I stupidly bought one of these things where you pull the trigger. It has changeable ends - which look like bent wire - and it is rated at 150w. Again useless, less power than the old iron - wont even solder an 18g wire to a circuit board.

So, can anyone recommend a sturdy iron, copper tipped, that will solder say 16awg cable to say an XT60 or similar plug yet still be ok working on a circuit board?

It would be good to hear your practical experiences as the claims of the adverts I've actual experience so far are very false.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
I have the above iron, and an Antex 100w.

Its a beast.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I have a little Antex but use a gas powered for most every day jobs. Had a Snap-on for years till I could not find any new bits so have now got a Dremel. Works well, has a nice blower for heatshrink too.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Maplin have a good selection and you can normally get replacement/spare tips there.
I seem to use a little gas soldering iron kit more now which I bought from Aldi.

Bob.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have the above iron, and an Antex 100w.

Its a beast.
Sacko - is the Antex up to soldering cells together for say a 6s lipo?

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
With ease..

I'm pretty sure it would solder up anything you had to throw at it in this 'hobby'.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
image.jpg
Out of all my irons I use the weller's the most, 40watt for general wireing & lipos, 75watt when doing XT60's
And the big ****** at the top 250watt is good for roof flashing & soldering patches on rusty petrol tanks :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Advertisers