Some right chancers on ebay!

D

Deleted member 4366

Wonder if you can solder the shunt on this.........?
At least it'll be legal because you'll be able to register and insure this one. Should make a good candidate for a powerful conversion to electric.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Joking aside, would an easy route to a legal high power ebike to take an autocycle and just change the motor over, keeping the old registration. ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Joking aside, would an easy route to a legal high power ebike to take an autocycle and just change the motor over, keeping the old registration. ?
No, because the fuel type is part of the original registration and annual taxing. However, the original autocycles were 98cc, weak back in those days, but one the recent equivalent 98cc m/c petrol engines would turn a lumbering pedal assist autocycle into a fearsome beast that never needed pedalling!

An alternative would be to re-arrange things so that the petrol engine drives a substantial generator feeding a powerful electric hub motor, petrol-electric hybrid, but the registration still valid since the fuel remains petrol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

No, because the fuel type is part of the original registration and annual taxing. However, the original autocycles were 98cc, weak back in those days, but one the recent equivalent 98cc m/c petrol engines would turn a lumbering pedal assist autocycle into a fearsome beast that never needed pedalling!

I'm not sure you're right on that one Flecc. Apparently it's very straightforward:
registering (DIY electric) modified motorbike DVLA, UK - DIY Electric Car Forums

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What amazes me is that he praises the rust and cobwebs, hints that it would be a crime to restore it, and asks £400!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure you're right on that one Flecc. Apparently it's very straightforward:
registering (DIY electric) modified motorbike DVLA, UK - DIY Electric Car Forums
I agree, registered motor vehicles shouldn't be modified since that can invalidate the type approval. As with illegal e-bikes though, nobody would notice just so long as accidents are avoided. Alternatively, there's always the SVA route which should be easy for a vehicle that's simply had the transmission altered.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
But flecc you can't be prosecuted for failing to SORN a vehicle you didn't own, the previous owner / owners however is a different matter.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
If you have a vehicle that was off the road and untaxed at the time SORN was introduced there was no need to register as SORN.

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
If you ever watch American Pickers on TV they go orgasmic over stuff like this ,one mans junk and all that
It may even be cheap at that price.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you have a vehicle that was off the road and untaxed at the time SORN was introduced there was no need to register as SORN.
Thanks killjoy, I didn't know that. I suppose that once one had taxed it, it would subsequently be subject to SORN in the usual way.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I have an email from September 2004 when they handed out the the V5s when i queried them about a couple of 'basket cases' I had and was told I didn't need to do any thing about them until their taxe/SORN status changed.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
And if your bought it, you would be open to prosecution for failing to make a SORN declaration in the years since SORN was introduced!
If the bike was off the road before SORN came in you didn't need to sorn it, I had a Honda 70 off the road for years enquired at DVLA they said it did not qualify for SORN so I never bothered hope this helps.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
What I was going to say when I first saw this post was my dad had one in the early fifties and we went to and from Southport a trip of about 30 miles from where we lived with his hand on my back pushing us both along aaaahhh memories.

Advertisers