Sometimes I loose it with customers

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Sometimes I loose it with customers; I know I shouldn’t and fortunately they don’t always notice.

The electric scooters and bicycles we sell in our little shop in Buxton make a tiny contribution towards reducing global carbon output. We’ve sold many hundreds and saved thousands of car journeys and regularly meet our customers looking healthy and happy. But impatient dictatorial me wants everyone to embrace our products, not just the enlightened few.

So when a group of cynical, middle aged men take a loud and picky interest in aspects of electric transport, on a busy Saturday, my ears prick up from behind the counter, and prickly Bob rises from the green mist that gently permeates throughout our lovely eco shop. I see red.

Electric transport is clean, amazingly efficient, quiet, convenient and available. I like to think that the electric bikes and scooters we sell look good too. They fit beautifully into our calm and gentle lifestyle shop, Eco Republic. Generally we attract calm and gentle customers but occasionally we get those groups of cynics that just don’t get it.

You see, there are limitations with electric vehicles. It cannot be denied that the group of three beery gents from Manchester were spotting them with predictable timing, loudly with piercing nasal and scornful enthusiasm.

I just had to help them along…

Not only can our beautiful and stylish scooter turn the heads of passer-by’s, including these three chaps, but they are also speed restricted to 30 mph. I politely (but equally loudly) helped point out to the three that the range of these lovely scooters was also limited; another charge would be needed after 40 miles. I had a bit of an audience with other store browsers listening in.

And I was happy to hear the three point back to me, and everyone else listening, that 4 out of every 5 car journeys are for less than 5 miles. They read this from the POS materials attached to the scooter.

Whilst this vehicle wouldn’t tow a caravan to Brighton and back I happily told them the latest versions could use the metal in road surfaces to reproduce the maglev effect: using the large magnets within its electric motor to actually lift the whole scooter from the ground – floating a few millimetres above the road, just like the advanced trains seen in the Far East.

That silenced them a little as they pondered the limitations. Enough to practically hear the grins of the eavesdroppers as I explained that because caravans contained a large amount of plastic and fibreglass it hadn’t yet been possible to get them to float, towed behind what was, in effect, a hover scooter.

But soon, I confidently informed, battery technology would improve enough to increase the height to more than 6 inches. Imagine that… more than 6 inches, incredible, the credulous fools agreed. They seemed genuinely impressed, and chatted about converting their four by fours, leaving the shop to our regular green minded, happy browsers.

I behaved badly I know.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Bob, I know you for an honest and truthful man and I believe every word you say. Tell me, do the electric scooters also have the ability to hover above water? I could, perhaps, harness a couple to tow our little dayboat and thus render the 35 year old Seagull outboard (two stroke 10-1 petrol/oil mix) obsolete? I expect that compliance with the 4 mph speed limit on canals would enable the range to extend to upwards of 100 miles?
Anxiously waiting for your response,
Tom.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I behaved badly I know.
I am very strong minded about supporting customer service, but in this case I wouldn't at all say you behaved badly. From the description you gave they didn't sound like customers at all, but three drunken men who were trying to waste your time and disrupt your business to boost their egos. Unless you know different, it sounds highly unlikely they travelled all the way from Manchester to actually make a purchase, more that they stumbled upon your shop whilst doing a circuit of pubs.

Being drunk and disorderly and anti social behaviour are crimes. These old fools are no better, in fact worse than the much maligned youths, who at least if they thought e-bikes were uncool wouldn't even bother to walk in the shop. you would have had every right to ask them to leave the shop, on pain of a bobby being called if they didnt!

Did any of them actually make a purchase in your shop?

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Alex you are so bang on the nail, and thanks for your reassurance - I was beginning to think I was getting a bit of an old grump. I think I managed to get them a joint purchase of A 2 B magazine. But I seriously think these three have been following me for a while now...

Tom, I last parked the demo scooter on a small cumulus. As soon as I can catch up with that ninth cloud I'll give it a try.

Alistair, I'd always wish you well, never wishing a crowd of old manc cynics upon your wonderful west country shop. Though they will always hone the skills of a wily shop-keeper...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Bob, I know you for an honest and truthful man and I believe every word you say. Tell me, do the electric scooters also have the ability to hover above water? I could, perhaps, harness a couple to tow our little dayboat and thus render the 35 year old Seagull outboard (two stroke 10-1 petrol/oil mix) obsolete? I expect that compliance with the 4 mph speed limit on canals would enable the range to extend to upwards of 100 miles?
Anxiously waiting for your response,
Tom.
I think the RSPCA will have something to say about that eh?

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Alex you are so bang on the nail, and thanks for your reassurance - I was beginning to think I was getting a bit of an old grump. I think I managed to get them a joint purchase of A 2 B magazine. But I seriously think these three have been following me for a while now...
having looked at some maps and local info (which I had to do anyway as being a Southerner I had no idea where Buxton was), it might be possible the trio spend their weekends going up and down on the train - and perhaps doing a bit of trainspotting along with their drinking, and at least one of them may have a interest in ebikes..

OTOH they could be sizing up your shop (and others in that area) for a robbery or other theft. I would make sure your CCTV is in good order, and have a discreet chat with the Constabulary and other business owners if they have also seen these characters about. Most towns do a shopwatch scheme as well..

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We do have CCTV, which was really useful during an earlier break-in this spring. I don't think they are going to steal anything other than my patience and determination to spread electric vehicle joy. Any ideas for breaking their resistance and brow-beating them into compliance the next time I catch them in my shop would be warmly received.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
if they aren't just middle aged scallies, maybe try and discreetly find out why they are in the area? if all 3 of them are in drink on a Saturday afternoon I doubt they drive the 20 miles as the cops surely would have busted them by now, and unless they make a habit of randomly popping into shops to cause bother its possible at least one of them does have some interest in e-bikes..

Advertisers