Spare Wheels for my Haibike

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
I realised the other day that my commuter tyres weren't up to the job of keeping me stable on slippery bridleways and towpaths. I felt distinctly unsafe in places.

The Fullseven 4 came with knobblies, but I replaced them for smoother treaded ones, as most of my route is on roads. I can't be arsed to keep swapping tyres over, so I decided to get hold of a pair of spare wheels. On another forum a kind soul offered me a pair of very nice wheels for just over £60, but that's where the fun started.

I then realised I needed brake rotors, so these were ordered. I took the opportunity to buy a larger front chainring and fitted it. To compensate, I had to order a new cassette with a 42t 1st gear. Then I ordered Slime inner tubes. Finally, I learned the hard way that thru-axle wheels come in different widths, so I'm now waiting on an adapter kit.

All in all, it's come to around £130, which I would have baulked at if I'd known at the start, but at least I'm sorted now. It goes to show that you should always consider all factors before launching into something.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
12x142 rear axles are dead now as it is all boost 12x148 these days but the upside is i can get decent cheap wheels 2nd hand.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
12x142 rear axles are dead now as it is all boost 12x148 these days but the upside is i can get decent cheap wheels 2nd hand.
Most do adaptors, so easy enough to change.

I've a new Hope pro4 i got in a sale and just the addition of the Hope adaptor kit 142-148 boost for £22 makes it good. Though some lesser known brands coming out of Alpkit and the like are 141, and you can also get adaptors taking 142 down to 141 or 135 up to 141 or 142, and you can also get 135 to 148 boost, though not really recommended by most wheel/hub companies. I think with the 135-148 boost, you really need to redish the wheel too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my dmax pro wheel set did come with front wheel adaptors for a boost fork but not much use for the rear wheel but i dont need tyres like air ships. ;)

Warwick2

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2021
So, not only was my front wheel too narrow, but when I went to fit the rear one, it was 142mm, not 148. Cue the ordering of another adapter. If there's a silver lining, it's that i was reminded to buy an axle, as I've stripped the bolt hole on mine.

Advertisers