Speedict Bluetooth BMS

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
www.speedict.com
Here's one for all the techy battery builders.
My new favorite ebike gadget, the Neptune15 Bluetooth connected, app controlled battery BMS.
IMG_20180520_170959.jpg
It can be used with cell counts from 10s to 15s using most battery chemistry. Once I figured out how to set it up and use with my lipo's I can now use them like a normal battery and charge it with a regular charger, however it is not just for lipo's it would be just as good for a spotwelded cells pack too.
------------------------------
Everything is setup within the Neptune Client app.
Realtime volts is displayed across the top bar, and each individual cell level is displayed across the bottom. Selecting each cell diplays it's own information.
The center display can be changed to monitor volts,amps,watts,speed,charge current and a tap of the center display changes from realtime reading to % display.
You set the levels these change colours from dark green, light green and red all independant of each other.
--------------------------------
You can set the cell charge/balance volts at whatever you want up to 4.2v and the discharge cell volts to cutoff where you want down to 2.8v, both can maximize cell life.
I charge and balance at 4.15v and cutoff at 3.5v
There is also a tolerance on those figures you can set to speed up the charge/balancing process.
--------------------------------
It has realtime watt meter, current and individual cell level readings. Balancing is also displayed by flashing led's on top of the BMS.
There is a data page you can set the number of features on display and personalise it to have whatever battery or cell related info you want to watch all on a single page monitored in real time.
-------------------------------
Safety wise it has short circuit cutoff (which I inadvertantly tested and it works) and cell level cutoff where you set it down to 2.8v or up to 4.2v per cell.
The only headscratching part for me was creating the 10s and 12s balance leads to plug onto the adapter-board, this isn't needed if you are just soldering it to a permanent spotwelded pack though as you would use the lead delivered with the BMS.
IMG_20170814_213831.jpg
The top 15s balance lead came with the Neptune15 and the lower 12s balance lead and adaptor I ordered as a seperate item (and a 10s too) - I had to solder each jst balance connectors onto the end of this lead to suit my batteries.
It's suprising how adictive it is to want to see the battery info in realtime, although I guess once it's set up and monitored for a while you don't need to watch the app all the time and it can be left doing it's BMS job in the background.
Power usage seems low. An off/on button means it uses just about nothing and I also left it switched on for a few days and it didn't seem to use anything noticable. it's my new favorite ebike gadget and I'm pretty sure I will be getting a second unit to have a 10s and 12s permanent set.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Did you win the lottery? You can send me one for Christmas if you like, it's too late for my birthday! :D

Seriously I would have 4 or 5 but can't justify/afford the cost of even one at the moment. Maybe when my rich uncle from NZ passes... :eek:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Just found a new feature in the pre-release app apk download which appears to enable the battery to text you alerts to another mobile. This is not mentioned in the instructions yet though and I cannot test it at the moment as the mobile I use for it can't take a sim-card.
A battery that texts you, how cool. Who else has a battery that texts them?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
TBH I don't think I want or need my battery to communicate with me in that way. I get enough annoying text messages without my battery letting me know how it's feeling today. Some relationships should only go so far.

Advertisers