Split Pedelec sensor for newer bottom brackets

Gedas

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2015
Hi guys,

First post here, You are my only hope ! :)
I'm not a newbie on the scene of pedelecs but I still have a question that stays unanswered for about half a year now.
I've been using split pedelec sensor magnet discs for some time now and the are just great. But they only work with older square tapered bottom bracket assemblies.
Maybe, just maybe, somebody here knows a magnet disc solution for newer bottom brackets that don't have the gap for the magnet to fit in? a magnet ring that could work on something like this:

Let me know if anyone has an idea on how to install a magnet on this thing.
PLEASE ! :)

Will be waiting for any feedback, thanks !

Gedas.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use any standard pedal sensor. Drill the hole in the magnet disc to 25mm. The sensor needs to be moved to the other side of its ring bracket to reach forward over the bearing retainer. If the screw holes are in line, it's easy, just unscrew and rescrew on the other side, but some have holes diagonally, so you have to drill two new ones. I always mount them on the left side, but some of the split magnet disc type are directional, so pnly work on one side. You can change the direction of other types by flipping the magnet disc.

Gedas

Apr 21, 2015
Hi, thanks for the reply.
But I'm not sure this will help.
You see, in the picture above the "silver part" (the bearings assembly) is fixed to the frame and does not spin with the crank. So the magnet disc should be fixed somewhere on the crank itself.
Any ideas? :)

Thanks !

Gedas.

D

Deleted member 4366

The bearing holder unscrews from the bottom bracket, so you canfit the PAS bracket behind it between the bearing holder and the frame. Be aware that one side has a left hand thread.

Gedas

Apr 21, 2015
Hi d8veh,
Yes, installing the pedelec sensor head would not be a problem.
But what about the magnet ring that has to spin with the crank? The crank has to stay flush with the bearing casing (meaning there is no gap to insert the disk in between them). And the bearing case itself (the silver thingy) is stationary.
Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Gedas.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
GXP bb with magnet wheel attached to chain ring.

Attachments

Gedas

Apr 21, 2015
Hi Nealh,
Yes, drilling out the inner diameter of the ring and screwing it onto the chain ring is one solution. But that requires a lot of DIY. I'm not afraid of it but isn't there a ready solution for installing the split magnet ring on the left side of the bike for those newer bb assemblies? There must be something.. :)
Thanks for the idea though !

D

Deleted member 4366

Unless you have a 73mm BB, there will be spacers between the bearing holders and the BB, which you can chuck.

Even with a 73mm BB, there's still just enough room to fit one as long as it's not too fat.

Advertisers