squeaky rear brake on Giant Lafree

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
hi, very cold out today but the old [5 speed] Lafree nipping to and fro with my shopping. Noticed the rear continental type hub/drum brake squeaking a bit- what's that about? I have had it in bits before when changing tyres/oiling rear mech but don't see any thing that looks like 'doing the biz' brake shoes/blocks. Just seems to me some metal on metal action.
Rather tiresome brakes in any case as tether your back wheel when it come to tyre changing.
Any thoughts, maybe 'New-avatar or is it still old F**** [or Twins; ed.]'?
Ta

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It needs some of Shimano's roller brake grease inserted. It comes in 2 sizes with part numbers as shown below, but you only need the small one, dealers will use the larger:

10 gms Y-041 40020

100 gms Y-041 20400

A good cycle dealer should be able to get some for you.

The diagram below shows number 16, the little rubber bung that closes the grease hole. Just squirt some of the grease in there:

Reactions: marwigan

marwigan

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2014
Wigan and Mid-Wales
Update ; have ordered some SRBG off internet as my LBS guy was a little distracted- staff not turned up, Christmas next month. As ad [onebay] said 'brakes, believe it or not, need grease'. The scrape, literally, I could've got into can easily be imagined; bike consigned to shed till lubed and meanwhile reverted to Raleigh Velo with its 'Heigh-Ho Silver' launch from traffic lights. Brilliant though inconsistent at times.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers