Steel/Aluminium core wires the norm?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
On dismantling a non working ebike, i noticed the cores within the power wires in the julet? terminated 9pin socket for connection to the hub motor were Steel? then on looking closer at the no-name controller installed its power wires were a telltale red of aluminium,

My kit installed on my daily ride came with all wires and connections encapsulated but a replacement KT? brand controller arrived from a far east seller and it too uses aluminium looking cores for the power connecting wires.

Are steel,aluminium wire core the norm? or have i just been exposed to the ultra cheap end of the market? are there KT controller Clones and copies.

Am i foolish expecting power wires to be made with copper cores?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
On dismantling a non working ebike, i noticed the cores within the power wires in the julet? terminated 9pin socket for connection to the hub motor were Steel? then on looking closer at the no-name controller installed its power wires were a telltale red of aluminium,

My kit installed on my daily ride came with all wires and connections encapsulated but a replacement KT? brand controller arrived from a far east seller and it too uses aluminium looking cores for the power connecting wires.

Are steel,aluminium wire core the norm? or have i just been exposed to the ultra cheap end of the market? are there KT controller Clones and copies.

Am i foolish expecting power wires to be made with copper cores?
The motor wires are normally silver plated copper.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The motor wires are normally silver plated copper.
Ha, I saw silver... I will be scrapping some strands tomorrow for sure..
Glad to be proven daft.. Cheers..
Ive been scanning the ads for the cables i have on slow boat order and other similar cable ad pages and no mention of wire core materials then raised my suspicions and confusion further...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ha, I saw silver... I will be scrapping some strands tomorrow for sure..
Glad to be proven daft.. Cheers..
Ive been scanning the ads for the cables i have on slow boat order and other similar cable ad pages and no mention of wire core materials then raised my suspicions and confusion further...
For the motor cables, you should use PTFE coated ones because they can get quite hot. That's what they use in the ready-made cables with the 9 pin connector on them.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thankfully Its ready made cables i have on order.. I saved about 63p by ordering from aliexpreress so have a few weeks to develop further concerns before opening a pack with a phone case in it...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thankfully Its ready made cables i have on order.. I saved about 63p by ordering from aliexpreress so have a few weeks to develop further concerns before opening a pack with a phone case in it...
What are you going to spend the 63p on? Perhaps best to save it in the piggy bank for the recession that's coming - or already here. Aliexpress is normally OK unless you can see that the price is too cheap. I get loads of stuff from them.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What are you going to spend the 63p on? Perhaps best to save it in the piggy bank for the recession that's coming - or already here. Aliexpress is normally OK unless you can see that the price is too cheap. I get loads of stuff from them.
well i kinda like the look of those surRons and similar.. every little helps.. I spent hours browsing the site comparing ads, looking for good prices and pnp costs with good reviews that didnt look coerced or bribed.. And forgot to pay attention to delivery times ho hum.. I managed to equip my microbrewery with SS sanitary fittings via aliexpress a few years back, thought i knew the tricks and forgot a pretty significant aspect DOH!! Roll on November/Oct...

Advertisers