Help! Strange hub motor behaviour

Stryder

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2023
Hi all,
I’m out of ideas and wonder if someone can help…
I have an Ancheer e-bike which was working perfectly. I needed to remove the rear wheel to replace the freewheel on the hub as it was worn and now the throttle and assist seem to only work in “phases”, I.e sounds like motor has power for 3 sec or so and then a pause and then again power for 3 secs and pause. Also sometimes there is no assist or throttle response at all unless I turn the wheel backward a quarter turn or so (could this be related to sensors?) , and then it will start the “phased” power again for a while until I have to turn the wheel backwards again.

I did have to disconnect wiring to get the freewheel off. I have now removed/reconnected wiring and wheel 3 times and have checked the motor for loose magnets, lubrication, gently pulled on connectors to see if they might be loose. I tried disconnecting hall sensor 5 pin plug but it wouldn’t run at all.

I have tried two batteries (one is brand new) and there is no resistance at all when riding the bike manually or spinning the wheel.

just trying to think what on earth I could have damaged/disturbed just by removing wheel and wiring connectors….

I did have to remove the hall sensor pins from the connector but I have some electrical/basic electronics experience and did this very carefully. Not sure how to check these for continuity as one end of the loom is inside the controller sealed unit. Can I check across certain pins for signal voltage?

Thanks for any help!!

Stryder

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2023
I don’t see a marked line but the connector has a locking tab and I just checked if it can be closed any further but feels tightly connected all the way inIMG_2634.jpeg

Stryder

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2023
Isn't there a connector near the motor?
No, on the Ancheer it's a direct connection from controller to motor.
I tried a few more things after watching some videos - I have 5v at the Hall Sensor board in the motor and as I rotate the wheel, the voltage on each of the sensors cycles from 0-5v so looks like they are working. I removed and checked the sensors on the pedal crank and visually it looked ok.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The main white Hall sensor block can sometimes be an issue , on continuity test stick your probes up the back of both parts on the same wire colours and make sure all six in turn show continuity.

Phase bullets disconnect them & gently crimp them tighter. Reconnect and see if it is just a poor connection.

If all you did was disconnect wires then the solution has to be something simple like a bad connection,

Advertisers