Stromer Chargers? Alternatives?

tjaszewski

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2014
Is that all one can do is buy a second Stromer charger? Is it a can bus system? My customer would like to use a Luna Charger or a Satiator and charge his batteries at 80%. Realizing this can be worked out with a multimeter and timer, he'd like a second charger and not a $199 100% charge unit from Stromer.

Any options?

Thanks!

Tom

D

Deleted member 4366

Does he know that charging the battery to 80% will most likely knock his battery out of balance so that it loses capacity?

tjaszewski

Apr 1, 2014
Seriously? That flies in the face of everytning ive learned. Please, youve been a behind the scenes soyrce for so much good knowledge and learning, this really confuses me. Doesn't charging to 100% on some schedule make that not the case! Is everything from Grin wrong? Or?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is everything from Grin wrong?
no, but Grin does not explain the details. The 80% is the fast charging high watermark. From 80% to 100%, the charging current must be reduced not to harm the cells, it's no longer fast charging.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's true that an idividual cell will last longer if you only charge it to 80%, but you have a battery of cells. the cells have to be kept balanced. Most E-bike battery have a management system (BMS) that handles the balancing. Most of them start the balancing when the cells reach about 95% of a full charge. Therefore, if you charge to 80%, the balancing will never start, so the battery will soon go out of balance.

The Satiator is a great charger if you know about these things. It's not suitable for the average guy that doesn't know any more than how to plug it in. You need to know about how your BMS works and what type of balancing system it has. It would also help if you had a way to monitor your individual cell voltages, so that you can see the state of balance. There's now BMSs with bluetooth that you can balance on demand from your smartphone. They would work well with the Satiator.

tjaszewski

Apr 1, 2014
Thank you, two things,
First, most packs on average bikes are limited to fairly low charge rates, in my experience, they are seldom over 5A and most chargers are supplied at 2A. I have all the time in the world and enough battery packs in backup to always charge a 2A rate.
Second Grin and others do clearly suggest that frequent long charges, monthly, biweekly, or some such schedule depending on battery usage, be followed.

Thanks for the advice. You panicked me at first. Now I see your point. Well taken and followed. I've had several batteries and followed Grin advised methods for as long as Satiators have been available and they are doing very very well. Confirmed by opening and testing as well.

BUT THE QUESTION.
ANYONE? Know if the stormer has a CAN bus that prevents any other charger from being used?

D

Deleted member 4366

Two wires no. 4 wires yes. (on the charger connector inside).

Advertisers