Taking my e-bike on holiday

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
I want to take my Kalkhoff Integrale on holiday with me to Minorca, in Dec. I am flying with Monarch from Gatwick and emailed them to ask if this would be a problem (Li-Ion battery) but no reply! So I thought I'd ask here.

I think you can take up to 25kg in a cycle bag for about £40 per flight (each way). But the battery question I can't find an answer to.

Any advice or recommendations.

Thanks.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I believe that airlines will only allow batteries up to 4ah or maybe not even that. So they won’t take it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The IATA regulations have limits which mean your over 160 Wh battery cannot be taken as carry on baggage or checked in separately or checked in fitted to the e-bike.

Lithium batteries over 160 Wh can only be flown as cargo in accordance with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. I believe this would have to be in special containers and probably only on cargo-only flights.

Here's the Passenger Guidance Leaflet online.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
did you mean 160WH?

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Still no response from Monarch but I'm beginning to fear my plans won't work out.

Is there ANY other way of shipping a battery out there for the short duration of a 1 week holiday? Seem ridiculous - ebikes and batteries are made all over the world and get the UK safe and sound, yet I cannot ship ONE bike a short-ish distance for 1 week!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probably cheaper to hire an ebike out there if they have them.

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still no response from Monarch but I'm beginning to fear my plans won't work out.

Is there ANY other way of shipping a battery out there for the short duration of a 1 week holiday? Seem ridiculous - ebikes and batteries are made all over the world and get the UK safe and sound, yet I cannot ship ONE bike a short-ish distance for 1 week!
There's been too many incidents and near accidents for any more risks to be taken with flying large lithum batteries. They are sent all over by ship of course, where any fire is inside a 40' closed steel container.

Some years ago I had couriered to me by air a 360 Wh battery and have also sent the same type by UK post, in both cases contents not declared. I imagine that they'll all be a bit smarter now and recognise trhe box shape and in any case, X-raying packages in transit is commonplace now, so that would be risky.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
You are probably right and I'll try and fibd somewhere. Most of the island closes down over winter though.

Really wanted to get to know my bike though. Grrrrr. Buerocracy. And safety but I'm sure there a way to ensure that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Other issues likely to occur if you could take the bike;
1. Damage in transit both ways.
2. Getting nicked.

Advertisers