Target pavement cyclists, say MPs

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That police superintendent summed it up when he said it was not illegal to cycle on the pavements, though he should have said "not necessarily illegal". That and the defensiveness of that senior civil servant result from the original statements about this law, the Home Office instructions to Chief Constables, and subsequent clarifications:

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.

"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes I saw it this morning. This topic allways winds me up and I don't even cycle much on the pavement. There are 3 reasons why I find it irritating.

1. It gets far too much publicity for what is such a very minor problem. For example (ignoring all the real problems in the UK) - cars and trucks driving on the pavement is a much bigger problem.

2. It makes carefull cyclists who use the pavement sensibly feel guilty and puts potential cyclists off.

3. The blanket statement that cycling on the pavement is illegal is not true.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I agree with 'Barnowl'

I wish they would just clear this situation up. I don't think the police even know what is illegal or legal with regard to riding on pavements.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Did anyone see the BBC news item on dangerous cycling ?

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Target pavement cyclists, say MPs

It had this comment
"Richard Devereux, the top civil servant at the Department for Transport, confirmed it was illegal to cycle on pavements but said it was wrong to assume that all cyclists were dangerous"

Surely not so unless there is a local by-law.
Have they changed the article then as I read this:
Richard Devereux, the top civil servant at the Department for Transport, pointed out that, according to the Highway Code, it was illegal to cycle on pavements. But he said it was wrong to assume that all cyclists were dangerous.
The highway code isn't the law so the whole statement is rubbish.

kelly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2008
Last week a cop in Barkingside High Street took my name and address because he said someone complained that I nearly knocked them over.

I was on a very wide pavement for all of 30 yards, I didn't go near a pedestrian, so I actually think he was lying. I had to produce my passport and he took my name and address.

I ride my pedelec extremely cautiously if I am on the pavement. I always go really slow and pedestrians always have right of way. I'm not a young person riding recklessly, I am 48 years old, I ride my pedelec because I have arthritis and sometimes need it because walking too far is not possible (if my arthritic knee is playing up).

I think this cop saw a pedelec and decided to cause trouble for whoever it belonged to. It has put me off the police for their ability to pick on someone for no real reason whatsoever. It has put me off riding my bike (which I sometimes need to get to work).

The police today are here merely to cause problems for perfectly decent and responsible people, that's what I believe. Give some of 'em a uniform and they can't control their petty power trips!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I rarely take to a pavement, but on the odd occasion if I do and on shared use paths, I ride as you do Kelly, with care and respect for pedestrians. I clearly recognise what you say and I've little doubt that police officer was lying having also suffered a similar false accusation when on my bike.

My lifetime experience is that it's mainly the young officers who overreach their authority, the only time I've ever seen it in a mature officer was when he had a new young officer with him and was clearly showing off in front of him.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
humbug

Last week a cop in Barkingside High Street took my name and address because he said someone complained that I nearly knocked them over.

I was on a very wide pavement for all of 30 yards, I didn't go near a pedestrian, so I actually think he was lying. I had to produce my passport and he took my name and address.

I think this cop saw a pedelec and decided to cause trouble for whoever it belonged to. .......!
i'm familiar with Barkingside High St. it has very wide pavements... about 25 feet in most of the shopping area, besides... you would remember nearly colliding with anyone, i think you're right, the cop 'had a plan'.

commiserations,
beeps

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
The highway code isn't the law so the whole statement is rubbish.
The Highway Code correctly refers to the Act which makes cycling on the pavement illegal. As Flecc says, police have been asked to use there discretion when applying this law.

kelly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks flecc and Beeping_Sleauty, glad you know the size of the Barkingside High St pavements, and my bike was parked at the far end, near the pet shop, which is not even the busy part of the High street.

This has put me off riding my bike, I guess if my arthritis gets worse and I cannot walk to work I should just become a burden to tax payers by claiming invalidity.

I don't trust cops any more, but I had it lucky compared to the poor sod who thought the responsible thing to do with a gun that he found in his back garden was to hand it into the cops.

Big mistake!

He was arrested for possession of a firearm, found guilty and now faces a 5 year prison sentence!

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

I can't stand what is happening to this country, it's run by conmen and clowns!

Last edited:

Advertisers