The Best Mobile Telephone Ever Made for only £9.10

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont want to listen to horrible tinny shite sound they can blast out walking round then ;)

give me 2 fat speakers any day i like bass ;)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
http://bryston.co.uk/

thats what you want look at the warranty cant beat that ;) costs mega bucks tho but will never need a new 1 for the rest of ur life ;)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
flecc, sounds like you and me have a similar setup / use for PC's, full SSD, on in the morning off at bed time.
I read SMS's on the phone everything else is on the PC a 40" vs 4.5" screen, I know which one I prefer plus mobile internet sites are poor a excuse of the full site.
My phone auto uploads photo's to the cloud and my PC when it comes into WiFi range so again they can be viewed in comfort and on a large screen.

Switching between multiple tabs or running multiple windows etc. I honestly cannot see why anyone would preference a phone other than when out of reach of a full PC.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I read SMS's on the phone everything else is on the PC a 40" vs 4.5" screen, I know which one I prefer plus mobile internet sites are poor a excuse of the full site.
Depends who builds them :rolleyes:
http://www.douglasbrooksboatbuilding.com/
http://boatbuildercentral.com/
others coming to a screen near you soon!

I am a PC man myself but not having access to a PC at work I have a tablet. Mostly for games, learning Spanish and a little light internet browsing. I tried building web pages with it but doesn't work for me.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012

P.S. Each two months when I charge it I ring my own home number on the mobile just to keep the PAYG account active, so I had a fiver on it for that purpose............

I've quoted that important piece of Flecc's post because it caught me out when I needed mine in an emergency.

I've been on Voda pay as you go for 15 years now because I'm a tight git and my usage can't justify any sort of contract. There can therefore sometimes be very long gaps in my need to make a call.

About five years ago my Honda 50 broke down about 12 miles from home on the way to an MOT appointment.

I whipped out my Voda mobile and tried to phone the garage and was greeted by the phrase "you have insufficient credit" after dialing the number. I then dialed the balance number which told me I still had £9 in credit, so I was flummoxed. I pushed the bike all the way home (country lanes, no phone boxes) and then rang Voda on my land line.

Contrary to those confusing recorded announcements, I found out that my phone had been temporarily "quarantined", because I hadn't made an outgoing call for 6 months.

I don't know if the situation has changed now, or if it was only Vodafone, but if anyone keeps a spare "emergency" mobile anywhere, it's worth trying an outgoing call on it, to see if it still works.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Aren't they lovely! You pay for units but if you don't use them you lose them. Nobody has yet taken this to the European consumer protections court (you can't any more of course) but there is something wrong with selling something intangible to someone with a time limit on it...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Contrary to those confusing recorded announcements, I found out that my phone had been temporarily "quarantined", because I hadn't made an outgoing call for 6 months.

I don't know if the situation has changed now, or if it was only Vodafone, but if anyone keeps a spare "emergency" mobile anywhere, it's worth trying an outgoing call on it, to see if it still works.
Aren't they lovely! You pay for units but if you don't use them you lose them. Nobody has yet taken this to the European consumer protections court (you can't any more of course) but there is something wrong with selling something intangible to someone with a time limit on it...
Mine was even worse, it had a 3 month limit to total cancellation and I lost a little money, under £4. I protested about that and claimed it back, but because they'd deleted the registration etc., they had no way of getting back to how much that was, even though I knew.

That's why I make a call every two months to keep it alive. In the end I didn't lose out since as reported above in this post, they gave an unconnected donation of £30 later as part of a promotion.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The best part of my retirement was handing back that dam phone.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best part of my retirement was handing back that dam phone.
That's something we sound alike in, I think all phones are far more of a curse than a benefit.

The problem with a phone call is that it intrudes into our privacy with no regard for one's preferences or welfare.

Before it's invention, we would call upon each other, and since that incurred travel the occurrences were far fewer. Also upon arrival, that gave the option of someone telling the caller that X was not receiving at present. That message was politely accepted by the caller who would go away.

The telephone killed those good manners.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I agree with Flecc.
I do have a smartphone but rarely use it because I have a simple Doro 612.
The Doro stays charged all week, the smart phone needs charging daily.
BUT
except for the camera and torch, I cannot find any other use for it.
I can relax at my computer desk with a large screen and this is how I want to do my computing, not hopping about with a miniature screen in hand.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
except for the camera and torch, I cannot find any other use for it.
I wouldn't even get the camera use, since for my wildlife photography I carry dedicated cameras with me nearly all the time. Even the best smartphone cameras couldn't do what even my pocketable cameras can do. Like this telephoto shot of a distant blackbird as it caught a worm yesterday, click to enlarge:

Young Male Blackbird.jpg

Reactions: Geebee and jdallan

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I totally agree with the statement that mobile phones can be a tremendous loss of privacy and freedom.

During my working life before I retired (over 15 years ago now), I experienced their gradual introduction, from pagers, to message pagers, to "bricks", then to genuine mobiles. I was involved in civil engineering, so out on site most of the time.

So nowadays, my private mobile is run on a very different basis. The number is only known to my wife, in case of emergencies.

I find it to be an indispensable safety feature for outgoing calls only, for myself or anyone else I find in difficulty, whilst out and about, especially in the countryside, (and I now make bl**dy sure it's not blocked ! :rolleyes:)

Mine is a smartphone, with GPS and maps etc.., but I never pay the premium for the latest cutting edge models, and contented myself with a used HTC desire HD for about £80.....

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I totally agree with the statement that mobile phones can be a tremendous loss of privacy and freedom.

During my working life before I retired (over 15 years ago now), I experienced their gradual introduction, from pagers, to message pagers, to "bricks", then to genuine mobiles. I was involved in civil engineering, so out on site most of the time.

So nowadays, my private mobile is run on a very different basis. The number is only known to my wife, in case of emergencies.

I find it to be an indispensable safety feature for outgoing calls only, for myself or anyone else I find in difficulty, whilst out and about, especially in the countryside, (and I now make bl**dy sure it's not blocked ! :rolleyes:)

Mine is a smartphone, with GPS and maps etc.., but I never pay the premium for the latest cutting edge models, and contented myself with a used HTC desire HD for about £80.....
Just a guess, but in an emergency I expect you plan on calling someone who's phone is actually switched on?

Hopefully they will never need your help.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I dont use my mobile much, so i only ever have PAYG.....
I was with Ikea Mobile up until last year, but they shut down their mobile phone service so i had to find another PAYG mob phone company. The best deal i could find was with Three, 3p a min, 2p a text and 1p per meg. But their sims will only work on 3g/4g phones, so i had to buy a smartphone.
I bought a Huawei Ascend Y330 from Sainsburys for £30, came with a Sainsburys Mobile sim, which i threw away cos their phones are unlocked and any network can be used. Bunged the Three sim in and jobs a good un.
I only use my mobile for calls & texts and occasionally use its Bluetooth in the car.
I never use the camera, the radio, mp3 or ever turn data on..... the phone lasts almost a week on one charge.
A £10 top up lasts me about 3 months.

So mobile phones are cheap as chips for me......... young uns wont be able to relate to this at all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just a guess, but in an emergency I expect you plan on calling someone who's phone is actually switched on?

I think you've forgotten that there are landlines? ;)

I've got one too and they don't get switched off.

Reactions: mike killay

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I think you've forgotten that there are landlines? ;)

I've got one too and they don't get switched off.
I've heard of them. I didn't know that people still used them for voice communication though.

• :D

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012

?

I was thinking more of 999 calls Alan.

The ability to quickly contact the emergency services if presented with a life threatening situation, (mine or someone else), is well worth carrying a mobile phone for that sole purpose IMHO.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Advertisers