The High Peak Trail ride, 5th October

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I'd like to propose a ride along the High Peak Trail in the Peak District, despite the name, the trail is quite flat except for two hills at one end, which can be skipped if required.

Meeting point will be Parsley Hay which is right on the trail and has ample parking (pay and display). This will be the start and end point, and there are refreshments available, as well as bike hire if you want to bring a friend.

The whole ride would be about 15 miles each way, leaving Parsley Hay and heading down to Middleton Top, where there is a further refreshment stop, this is about 11.5 miles in and would be the turn around point for any riders who do not want to go down the hill into Cromford.

After Middleton top there are two hills down to the end of the trail where it meets Cromford Canal, there is also a further refreshment stop here, however i dont recommend this one as it's also beside some sort of water treatment plant and get a bit smelly.

From here there's a short mile long ride along the canal towpath into Cromford, where a larger cafe is located and this would be a good stop for lunch. Also at this location is the famous Arkwright's Mill, which is worth a look around.

The return leg is the same as the outward leg, which is no problem as the ride is so lovely it's nice to get to see all the views again. Also, the first hill back up from Cromford, Sheep Pasture Incline is quite a good test of how your ebike climbs... and if it doesnt climb it, walk and we'll regroup at the top.

I intend this ride to be quite leisurely, and as the trail can be quite busy, please don't come if you want to blast down at full speed the whole way. Otherwise, everyone is welcome, ebikes or normal bikes, trikes, unicycles, whatever.

Here's a map of the trail:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=parsley+hay&daddr=cromford&hl=en-GB&ll=53.12947,-1.671982&spn=0.215061,0.44014&sll=53.135801,-1.653201&sspn=0.21503,0.44014&geocode=FY5SKwMd28vk_yGzdwLPkYJyTilvXD2hBSV6SDGzdwLPkYJyTg%3BFfNaKgMdBijo_ynzsLRFzIt5SDF53YU4G1sheA&t=h&gl=uk&dirflg=b&mra=ltm&z=11&lci=bike

Start time will be 10:30 from Parsley Hay, look for me in a BRIGHT yellow helmet with a black Kalkhoff.:D

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I forgot to say, if you think you'll be coming along please reply to give me an idea of numbers. Thanks

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Sadly I can't do the 5th. ...the 4th or the 6th yes, or any day bar the 5th of October.
.....my loss, enjoy your ride.
......Mike

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
A shame Mike, maybe the next one :)

Anyone else free for a ride on Sunday?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Sadly no, my bike is in dock. I had hoped to have it up & running for tomorrow but silence is the order of the day from my dealer/supplier/importer who ever. May have to change my signature.
Oops, already have done.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Ooh, I've dropped a clanger, I had meant it to be the Sunday but somehow got the date wrong.

I will still be going tomorrow, but understand if the change of date means nobody can make it now :rolleyes:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Ooh, I've dropped a clanger, I had meant it to be the Sunday but somehow got the date wrong.

I will still be going tomorrow, but understand if the change of date means nobody can make it now :rolleyes:
Brilliant ride today Street, and good to put a face to a name. Weather was as good as one could ask for in October. Looking forward to the next jaunt.:D

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Glad you had a great day!

Did a bit of cycling while holidaying there in the summer. We stayed at the lovely town of Bakewell so did the Monsal Trail and a few local routes.

My first time in the Peak District but will be going back. A beautiful part of the country.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, it was an excellent ride Phil, i'll do a bit of a write up in the main forum sometimes this week.

Skipton to Saltaire (16 miles each way) for the next one, or possibly, Skipton to Leeds (30 miles) and return on the train? Or of course the other way around?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire