The lost Malaysian airplane

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
there are a few theories. It's very well planned, night flight, normal air corridor, shadowing another big plane, Lithium batteries, highly skilled Chinese engineers working from Freescale semi. etc.
The worst scenario involves a mad pilot, after switching off the transponder, he reprogrammed a suicide route into the flight computer, then brought the plane up to 45,000ft, depressurized the plane to kill all passengers quietly, then brought the plane down to 15,000ft, opened door, jumped off air plane etc.
He is now hiding in the Turks & Caicos Islands under a false name.
I was reading an article in The Times this week by an "expert" whose favoured two theories were hijacking and suicide, so it seems suicide is back on the possibility list? The cockpit security issue again?

Regarding the satellite imagery, I reckon there will be a lot going on behind the scenes that we are unaware of, after all this is a very sensitive area of photography.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Consider this: I can go to google earth and tell the make of car sitting in my yard. The satellite images were supplied by a country that claims to be able to see license plate from space and fly remote controled bombs through a doorway 1000's of miles away. Yet they could not identify the debis. And why oh why, if there was any remote chance of suvivors, did they not continue to track the debris? If they would have, they could have given the search planes exact coordinates. What is really going on here?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And why oh why, if there was any remote chance of suvivors, did they not continue to track the debris? If they would have, they could have given the search planes exact coordinates. What is really going on here?
Nothing. They didn't track the debris because they didn't know they'd seen it at the time. The vast amount of data streamed in from these satellites is such that it can be days later when the analysis is completed for any one zone. That's why each satellite sighting hasn't been reported until two or three days after the satellite spotted the debris.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Emo Rider -
Consider this: I can go to google earth and tell the make of car sitting in my yard.
Tell me the colour of my motorcycle parked outside my house?

if there was any remote chance of suvivors, did they not continue to track the debris?
Cloud cover isn't conducive for optical searches add the fact that an orbit takes 90 or so minutes and tracks a different area each revolution.

Note the delay between date of images and when they eventually locate something. Its quicker nowadays than the Cold War days when they had to parachute film back, but even with digital imaging it still takes time to download, process and analyse. Think looking for a needle in a haystack using a microscope.

Last edited:

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Emo Rider -
Tell me the colour of my motorcycle parked outside my house?

Cloud cover isn't conducive for optical searches add the fact that an orbit takes 90 or so minutes and tracks a different area each revolution.

Note the delay between date of images and when they eventually locate something. Its quicker nowadays than the Cold War days when they had to parachute film back, but even with digital imaging it still takes time to download, process and analyse. Think looking for a needle in a haystack using a microscope.
The car in the google earth photo is my wife's 2002 Polo. It was taken sometime around 2006 best we can tell. That was 7 years ago. Things have progressed a great deal since then. If google earth's satellite took an updated shot when your bike was there you could indeed tell the color. Go have a look yourself instead of making a veiled attempt of calling me a liar.

As for your explaination about the satellite, that found the debris, orbit behaviour, that makes sense and gave a valid point as to why the debris was not tracked. There are, however, spy satellites in what are called stationary orbits. They never move off of a target.

They can also see at night and use radar technology to produce images as well. This works particularly well at sea. They can actually map the the surface of the earth beneath the waves from space. I believe that there is technology being used today that not only was being used to track that plane when it disappeared, it also could be used to find it. The governments with these tools are not showing their hand.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
My point being was not that you are a liar but first you need know where it is to look to see the colour of the bike … Even with my location in my profile as a clue you'd stand no chance.

re GeoStationary orbits = 22,236 miles. Photo reccie satellite = approx 200 miles. See the difference - the normal orbiting spy sats literally skim the atmosphere. Geostationary sats are too far high for hi-res imaging.

How do you know Radar sats aren't being used? again is there a satellite at the right place at the right time…

Yes the capabilities of Radar sats are impressive but it will take time to scour the area at a suitable resolution to detect anything.
  • Staring SpotLight: up to 25cm resolution, scene size depending on incidence angle, for example ~ 4km (width) x 3.7km (length) at 60°;
  • High Resolution SpotLight: up to 1m resolution, scene size 5 to 10km (width) x 5km (length);
  • SpotLight: up to 2m resolution, scene size 10km (width) x 10km (length);
  • StripMap: up to 3m resolution, scene size 30km (width) x 50km (length*);
  • ScanSAR: up to 18.5m resolution, scene size 100km (width) x 150km (length*).
  • Wide ScanSAR : up to 40m resolution, scene size up to 270km (width) x 200km (length**);

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Consider this: I can go to google earth and tell the make of car sitting in my yard. The satellite images were supplied by a country that claims to be able to see license plate from space and fly remote controled bombs through a doorway 1000's of miles away. Yet they could not identify the debis. And why oh why, if there was any remote chance of suvivors, did they not continue to track the debris? If they would have, they could have given the search planes exact coordinates. What is really going on here?
Google Earth imagery at high resolution is aerial imagery, not satellite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth. You're not comparing like with like.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
saturdays Daily Mail
Missing jet WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after DENYING it
  • When asked days ago, he said it was carrying 'tonnes of mangosteens'
  • Lithium-ion batteries have caused 140 mid-air incidents in last 20 years
  • The devices are commonly used in mobile phones and laptops
  • Classed as dangerous by The International Civil Aviation Organisation
  • Reignites theory that missing flight may have crashed after on-board fire
  • Aviation expert said it re-affirm belief that flames started in cargo hold
  • One cargo plane crashed in 2010 after attempting an emergency landing
  • Safety report said battery caught fire and filled the flight deck with smoke

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586308/Missing-jet-WAS-carrying-highly-flammable-lithium-batteries-CEO-Malaysian-Airlines-finally-admits-dangerous-cargo.html#ixzz2wlq3ruBi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Fire in cargo hold - pilot heads for nearest airport, fire interferes with comms connections or hull integrity, possibly leading to sudden depressurisation, crew rendered unconscious but plane already on a southerly heading to nearest airport.
Plane flies on and on, with unconscious (later, dead) crew and passengers until fuel ends.

Reactions: Wicky

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fire in cargo hold - pilot heads for nearest airport, fire interferes with comms connections or hull integrity, possibly leading to sudden depressurisation, crew rendered unconscious but plane already on a southerly heading to nearest airport.
Plane flies on and on, with unconscious (later, dead) crew and passengers until fuel ends.
As if lithium batteries aren't expensive enough already!

More of this publicity and they'll end having to be transported from China a couple of times a year in a large barge towed by a tug at the end of a very long towrope.

Reactions: los monty

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
As if lithium batteries aren't expensive enough already!

More of this publicity and they'll end having to be transported from China a couple of times a year in a large barge towed by a tug at the end of a very long towrope.

Perhaps we need to open our own factory for them over here. A few forum members each sticking a fiver into the pot, should see us off to a good start. ;)

Reactions: D C

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps we need to open our own factory for them over here. A few forum members each sticking a fiver into the pot, should see us off to a good start. ;)

Or persuade BMZ* of Germany to open a factory here where we can now undercut German costs?

*Kalkhoff battery maker.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
The world is saddened by the news that flight MH370 crashed in the Indian Ocean, west of Perth, Australia. Information supplied by a UK company, Inmarsat, confirmed the planes final location. As myself and other felt that this information was available, it is unfortunate that it took this long to come to light. Any hope for survivors is all but gone. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this tradgity.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Could you please show where you or anyone else previously mentioned using doppler shift to work out approx direction of flight path.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26724966
As I said in my last post and has been stated in the news artices, pings from the missing jet were recieved for five hours after it disappeared. Hence the existing information on the day of the crash. As it did take so long for a team of talented satellite tracking analyist to use a new method to determine the plane's final location, I find it unfortunate. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is also another artice, that was just released, that stated since 9/11 planes deviating from their predetermined flight paths have been tracked. It has come to light the Malaysain radar tracked a large plane flying over their airspace (flight MH370) and no action was taken. Heads will roll as Malaysian officials have some very embarassing questions to answer. Again information available but not revealed or acted upon. Unfortunate indeed.

But you felt, in light of this incredibly sad news, you had to take one last shot at me. Hope you're feeling self important with your groping for something to say. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Please feel free to substitute your body part directly south of your waist and substitute it for the word rose. Have a nice day. The families of those people certainly are not. :-(

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
In foreign flights, there are some nights
You really find appalling
But never mind, you shortly find
The ocean floor a-calling