The Neo Xtrem has reached it's limit

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Or rather the limits of what I'm going to do it, although a pair of DMR flats are on the cards at some stage, as is a re paint to get rid of all BH logos and graphics.

A 12ah battery would also be nice, but I certainly won't be buying one of those.

The full list of mods is as follows.

• Deore 38/24t chainset
  • Deore Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket
  • Deore 10 speed rear derailleur
  • Deore 10 speed set up front derailleur
  • Shimano HG62 10 speed cassette 11-36
  • Deore 10 speed shifters
  • Sram PC1031 10 speed chain
  • A2Z 180mm disc rotor
  • Tecktro 180mm caliper adapter
  • Extended Tecktro brake hose
  • Lizzard Skins grips
  • Rockshox Reba front forks with pop lock (lock soon to be removed)
  • Crankbrothers wider handlebars
  • Cane Creek Thudbuster
  • FSA headset
  • Pannarace Fire XC Pro tyres
  • Topeak Mountain Morph pump
  • Fenix BT20 front light
  • Topeak Defender front mudguard (crap)
  • Home made rear mudguard
  • Slime inner tubes (sadly added extra weight)

Pre last mods.

Most recent mods.

This bike is now just amazing to ride (as far as hardtails go) and feels absolutely nothing like the original factory supplied lardy heavy slow steering bike.
The first major difference is weight. The forks alone are well in excess of 1kg lighter and I've yet to weigh the various other components, but the overall package is now one very light bike.
The original front end had some kind of gravity magnet attached to it, whereas now, it's almost hard to keep the front end down. From bad experience, one overly zealous push down on the pedals is enough to loop the bike.
The Pannarace Fire XC Pro tyres offer a hell of a lot of confidence inspiring grip, and their ability to climb out of ruts is superb. They also oddly seem very good on the road.
Changing from a triple chainset to a double has obviously lost on road speed, but this bike isn't about road use anymore. I wanted a good mix of ratio's for when I'm trying to get the most of the bike off road, and I think that this is now about right. The gear changes are now also super slick and precise, which is something that the original Alivio equipment never was. It was a constant battle to keep it set up properly.
The Wiggle ride on the South Downs also showed a massive weakness in the braking department, so hopefully this will now be partially cured with the switch from a 160mm rotor to a 180mm rotor. I've yet to try this out in anger, but first impressions are very good.
Another amazingly impressive and instantly noticeable mod, is the Cane Creek Thudbuster. The bike feels as though you have just perched yourself on your favourite old armchair. The hardtail sting has definitely gone.
The Topeak front mudguard is okay for cycle paths, but show it anything hard and the vibration from bumps, just cracks the mountings. I'm on my second and there won't be a third.
It's a shame about the mudguard as the Topeak mountain Morph pump is brilliant. Having said that, I quite like Topeak products as a whole.
The Fenix BT20 front light was a product that made me bulk at the cost, but this has proved to be an amazing front light for off road use, and has in reality been worth the money.

A decent spec full suspension bike is definitely on the cards, but even with all of the component/reliability issues that I have had with this bike, I won't be selling it as it still makes me grin from ear to ear with every ride. I also understand that BH are in the process of upping their game in relation their previously poor customer support. Obviously this is something that I'd have to see or hear first hand about to believe, but I hope that they do.
If any reading this is intending to or was intending to purchase a NEO Xtrem, the mods that I have carried out aren't essential to the product, I simply wanted more from the bike.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cock-on job, Eddie.

I agree reducing the bike's weight by a kilo or two is worth having.

On the rare occasions I take the Rose out without panniers, flask, d-lock etc, I notice it's a much nicer ride.

The new bike is just under 20 kilos and I've already worked out I prefer the ride with the supplied 8ah battery than with one of my heavier 11ah ones.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Cock-on is a common expression as far as I'm aware.
Opposite of 'cock up' is one theory, but as with a lot of slang it's impossible to pin down the precise origin.

D

Deleted member 4366

I prefer the ride with the supplied 8ah battery than with one of my heavier 11ah ones.
Aren't they the same weight? They both have 40 cells, but the 11.6aH one has 2900maH ones, and the 8.8aH battery has 2200maH. The increased capacity is due to improvements in technology, not size. Both types of cell weigh 45g.

D

Deleted member 4366

Cock on job has one meaning.
Cock on the job means something quite different.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Aren't they the same weight? They both have 40 cells, but the 11.6aH one has 2900maH ones, and the 8.8aH battery has 2200maH. The increased capacity is due to improvements in technology, not size. Both types of cell weigh 45g.
The smaller capacity battery feels a bit lighter to me - I was immediately struck by that in shop - although I don't have anything here to weigh it on.

D

Deleted member 4366

The smaller capacity battery feels a bit lighter to me - I was immediately struck by that in shop - although I don't have anything here to weigh it on.
I think you'll find that they're the same.

Of course you have something to weigh them: Use a ruler and a pencil as a balance to confirm, or a stick and a rolling pin, or anything else. What school did you go to? I need to have a word with the Headmaster.

Next you'll be telling me that you don't know how to get the fox, the chicken and the grain across the river in a boat when you can only carry one at a time,and no you can't leave the fox and the chicken or the chicken and grain together on the bank without supervision.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think you'll find that they're the same.

Of course you have something to weigh them: Use a ruler and a pencil as a balance to confirm, or a stick and a rolling pin, or anything else. What school did you go to? I need to have a word with the Headmaster..
No need for all that.

I've just dropped both of them off the top of a tall building at the same time to see which hit the ground first.

I'm sure it was the heavier one.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366
D

Deleted member 4366

It can but the cells that Bosch use are the same weight: 45g.

The weight doesn't so much vary with the capacity, but rather with the cell technology that affects both weight and capacity.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Actually there is a slight weight difference
2.4kg versus 2.6kg (classic battery)
http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/produkte_neu/classic_plus/powerpack_2/powerpack_classic_.php

2kg/2.4kg versus 2.5kg/2.6kg (active line/performance line there are two weights as rack mounted is slightly heavier)
http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/produkte_neu/active_line/powerpack_3/active_line_powerpack.php

I have not checked the weights myself. We generally just sell bikes with the larger battery.
Thought it was more, but weighing them in my hands again it clearly isn't.

Reminds me of a publican friend.

When doing the banking, he can tell by feel if a £500 wad of fivers is one short.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Advertisers