Third party battery issue Yamaha

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
Hello All,

Sorry re-posting this as posted in the wrong forum.

I have a Yamaha system haibike 2017 model.
I decided to get a third party battery simlar to the one on the link.
Look at this on eBayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282586937404

My one works out to be about 500w, giving a little more range than my original yamaha battery. However, it was all going brilliantly for 2 weeks until it stopped working. The basic display (i dont have the larger yamaha display) on the ebike turns on for about 4 secs and then turns off. The battery indicator on the actual pack says full charge and nothing wrong with charger. My original battery on the bike works fine. The company actually sent me a new battery(returned from customer) to try, but exactly the same issue. They gave me a full refund but now stuck with 2 bricks. Is there any hope in salvaging these? The batteries inside are samsung, so decent brand.

Please dont say i should have stuck with yamaha battery as the yamaha cost £850 for equivalent capacity, where as these were £300 each. So it was worth a try.

Any ideas about what i can do with these? Resurection? Does yamaha ststem block third party battery? Although it did work for two weeks.

Many thanks

Kevin.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I'll repost my original reply.
Yamaha system does do a handshake with the battery. If there is no communication everything looks ok, you just don't get any power. The display is powered by it's own battery, if you connect a non Yamaha battery you can switch the power on, select power levels, the speedo works etc but the motor does not get any power. I know that the communication protocols have been successfully reverse engineered in Germany. Maybe the display is receiving a spurious message and switching off, I guess without any communication it just sits waiting.
I borrowed a second battery a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine at first, then after a long descent the display had switched off. Pressed the power button and display came on but no power, turned out the battery was full of water from hosing off the hire bikes with some slight damage to case allowing the water in.

Reactions: KPNUTS#

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
I'll repost my original reply.
Yamaha system does do a handshake with the battery. If there is no communication everything looks ok, you just don't get any power. The display is powered by it's own battery, if you connect a non Yamaha battery you can switch the power on, select power levels, the speedo works etc but the motor does not get any power. I know that the communication protocols have been successfully reverse engineered in Germany. Maybe the display is receiving a spurious message and switching off, I guess without any communication it just sits waiting.
I borrowed a second battery a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine at first, then after a long descent the display had switched off. Pressed the power button and display came on but no power, turned out the battery was full of water from hosing off the hire bikes with some slight damage to case allowing the water in.
Thanks for reply
I dont have the larger yamaha display. Its only the very basic one as shown. This does run off the main battery.
www.electricbikesales.co.uk/index.phproute=product/product&product_id=1626&search=Yamaha+display

I looked after the battery well. No water damage, bumps or knocks. As mentioned, surely it is compatible as it worked for 2 weeks. So very strange for it to suddenly stop. Unless something wrong with the BMS? Do you think it might be worth sending battery for diagnostics and possible repair?

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
In the manual for your display https://winora-group.de/manuals/2017/Fahrzeuge_EU/Yamaha/PW/Zusatzanleitung_Yamaha_PW_Display_LED_2017_en.pdf it says if the display goes off after 4 seconds the battery terminals are dirty.
I dont know how compatible the aftermarket batteries are but the genuine one has a very comprehensive self test built in. The full system manual is here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://charged.bike/Downloads/x94_series.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiT_Z_gweLVAhVKKlAKHRV3A40QFggiMAI&usg=AFQjCNHqC4C3tpaZttZ6lu9zgoQTUH8AIA

I doubt your supplier can test the battery but after only 2 weeks shojld be giving a refund.

KPNUTS#

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
sussex
In the manual for your display https://winora-group.de/manuals/2017/Fahrzeuge_EU/Yamaha/PW/Zusatzanleitung_Yamaha_PW_Display_LED_2017_en.pdf it says if the display goes off after 4 seconds the battery terminals are dirty.
I dont know how compatible the aftermarket batteries are but the genuine one has a very comprehensive self test built in. The full system manual is here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://charged.bike/Downloads/x94_series.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiT_Z_gweLVAhVKKlAKHRV3A40QFggiMAI&usg=AFQjCNHqC4C3tpaZttZ6lu9zgoQTUH8AIA

I doubt your supplier can test the battery but after only 2 weeks shojld be giving a refund.
Hi,

I did get a full refund and they said there was no need to return battery. So i have the batteries just sitting here. I would like to revive somehow but dont know how to do it. Either that or sell the samasung batteries inside, as i have close to 1000w of decent batteries. Very essy to get to. I have opened it up. Just star screws.

Alvin89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2016
West Midlands
Hi, has anyone else had issues recently with the replacement Yamaha aftermarket batteries? I have one from allbatteries.co.uk. Mine has worked for a couple of months then whilst charging I pressed the power button to look at my mileage and the LCD display now switches off after 4 seconds.

Dogwheel

May 8, 2019
Have Yamaha written in some nasty circuitry to make you a prisoner of their own brand overpriced battery?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Have Yamaha written in some nasty circuitry to make you a prisoner of their own brand overpriced battery?
no imo there just using a crap bms but bosch batts can now be recelled as long as it is working ;)

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Yes they have a communication between the battery and the rest of the system. It has been reverse engineered so it is possible to use other batteries. Details can be found on pedelecforum.de use Google translate if you don't understand German.

Alvin89

Aug 16, 2016
West Midlands
Thanks, I have had a look at the German pedelecs. I have sent the Yamaha back to be checked. I have a Bosch aftermarket battery on my spare bike that works brilliantly.

Advertisers