This brake suitable for BBSO1 overclocked?

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
Hey so I have a bbso1 250w which I plan to overclock to get me about 25 mph.

I havn't installed it yet as im thinking I need a good brake before I go ahead. Unfortunatly I cant change the fork so disc brakes are out. My plan was to have some V brake bosses welded on and then fit the magura hs11, this would cost me about £40 for the welding and then £50-60ish for the brake.

But then I found this brake, it fits a caliper so I wouldn't need to weld anything and it comes pretty much ready assembled and bled so I would just have to take my current brake out and pop this one in.

Would you trust this brake? I have no experience with hydraulics but I know that caliper brakes tend to be weak and V brakes strong. Does this carry over to the hydraulics world eg are V brake hydraulics way stronger than hydraulic calipers?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magura-hs33-r-urban-2-finger-lever-single-brake-left-right-front-black-257528

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In theory this should make the brake as strong as a hydraulic V-brake. Hydraulics adds the incredible force you can't achieve by pulling manually on a wire. Your weak point will become your rim, I don't know if they are designed to stand up to that much side pressure.

My vote is go for it.

• Agree

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
Bought it, will see what happens. Rims can easily be replaced, I imagine if the rim is the weak point it will be the same with this as it would be with a hydraulic v brake.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What do you mean by overclocking ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Over volting will fry the controller, the caps for 36v ones are only 50v max rating so 48v/13s won't work at all. 12s may work if you limit the charge to 41v with lipo but not guaranteed. The controller is small and in an enclosed space where heat dissipation is minimal, unrestricted and settings tampered may well eventually lead to operating issues and controller failure. That said my 350w controller failed (1650 miles) as left it as factory settings. The replacement controller is still going with similar mileage and reprogramming but I do get some niggles with it, mileage is a lot less with reprogramming.
The newer bbs01b's may be better and slightly improved.

Voltage doesn't increase the watt rating but amps will.

Start current doesn't affect the power/wattage it just helps to protect the controller from frying at start up by setting a lower value for a softer less abrupt initial current supply.

Keep current is the main value to get more out of the system but it will affect battery range and may also lead to controller failure.

Last edited:
  • Informative

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I have Magura HS33's on my BBS02 equipped commuter. They are as strong as disc brakes in the dry and dry the rim when riding in wet weather quicker than cable brakes. No issues with rim wear so far.

Advertisers