Torque washers

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
torquewasher.jpg

I was tidying my garage a couple of years ago and threw this weird useless object out. What a mistake to make! I now only have one for my Bafang motor. Its 10mm between the flats and 12mm between the arches. Anyone know where I can get another? The bent steel sort won't work as the tab is outside the end of the dropouts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: Bikes4two

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
View attachment 48216

I was tidying my garage a couple of years ago and threw this weird useless object out. What a mistake to make! I now only have one for my Bafang motor. Its 10mm between the flats and 12mm between the arches. Anyone know where I can get another? The bent steel sort won't work as the tab is outside the end of the dropouts.
I got the same one as this from from Woosh bikes , they are a regular forum contributor on here.

Reactions: ChrisOfBristol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Torque arms are a belt and braces after option but not the answer to torque washers, the torque washers are needed as they act as a spacer and axle locator much like the coloured ones used with nexus/alfine hub gears.

Reactions: ChrisOfBristol

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
one has to buy from China
I had a look at your links. One was charging a ridiculous amount for postage*, the other two a fair bit, and the delivery time was one to two months, so I'm hoping joelectric's recommendation will work. They could be useful in the future though, as may Green Bike Kit who I haven't tried.

Torque arms are not the answer to torque washers...they act as a spacer
Very true, as the flattened bit of the shaft on one side of my motor is recessed within the hub. Also the hub would rub on the fat suspension forks without them.

and axle locator
In which dimension?

Torque arms are a belt and braces...option.
True, I don't think they are needed on my 250W bike on the road and my friends' bikes haven't got them. Edit: And a standard torque arm would not fit - see next post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*£10-20, I can't remember and they only show postage after you've got most of the way through the ordering process, so I can't be bothered to check.

Last edited:

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
hubshaft1.jpg

hubshaft2.jpg

A standard torque arm would not fit. The part of the axle which has the 10mm flats is only about 4mm long. On one side it is recessed into the hub, so the arm would not make proper contact. On the other the hub is flat and the arm would have to be flat against the hub, so there would be no space behind it for the bolt head or nut to connect to the arm that connects to the fork. It would only be possible if a special arm was made with either a welded on bolt or with a joggle to take it away from the hub.

I have considered a torque arm for two reasons:
  • My bike has aluminium suspension forks and I will probably try the local mountain bike trail, so I am wondering whether extra strength might be needed for that. There wouldn't be any extra torque from the motor, but some might come from shocks resisting motor rotation. I'd be interested in comments on this.
  • It would make it harder for a thief to steal the electric hub. I'd be interested to know whether anyone has had this happen.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Bafang G370 is the same one can't fit T/A's and only torque wahers. The G370 one cna only use one washer on the non cable side as the cable entry interferes with the washer fitting, for that reason I have some very nice Surly steel forks.
For 250w T/A's can be dispensed with in steel forks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One could try a T/A fitted inboard if one can sercue the end to a threaded hole.

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
One could try a T/A fitted inboard if one can sercue the end to a threaded hole.
From the messages I'm reading, I'm getting concerned about having aluminium forks, so am looking into torque arms again.

I could try bending the arm away from the hub, but I think it would be too thick to make a big enough bend in its short length. I could also try an arrangement like this:
48260torquearm.png
I'd have to tap the torque arm and I'd probably araldite the allan bolt nut and torque arm together as the 4mm arm is a bit thin for this really. Ideally a bolt should be welded into the torque arm.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020

ChrisOfBristol

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2016
UK
I managed to get some torque washers (+ nuts and plain washers) which match the originals for £6 on ebay. I've been riding on mountain bike trails without any problems, so I think aluminium forks may only be a problem with higher power motors.
[Solved]

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
aluminium forks
I changed my front suspension folks for rigid steel. Not all torque/ anti-rotation washers are created equally. I have a collection and they are nearly all different, slightly.

I got the last rare t-arm from some trade rep in here, off hand I can't remember the company, long gone, UK anyway, amazing style. Dillenger do t-arms but price and stock maybe an issue.
20230918_092136.jpg
Edit; Can't think of the name, I want to say cycle eeze. It has a multi point star at the axle for directional positioning.

Advertisers