tsdz2 no power on display

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
Hi Folks

Just wondering if any of you had experienced this and whether it was a quick easy fix. Attached the battery to the bike this morning and pressed the power on button on the display. Nothing. Initially thought the battery was the issue but it has full power. nothing else has changed since I last rode the bike other than it has been stored in a cold (1c) shed.

What do you think the problem might be? Has anyone else been here before too? Crossing my fingers the controller isn't completely gubbed.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi Folks

Just wondering if any of you had experienced this and whether it was a quick easy fix. Attached the battery to the bike this morning and pressed the power on button on the display. Nothing. Initially thought the battery was the issue but it has full power. nothing else has changed since I last rode the bike other than it has been stored in a cold (1c) shed.

What do you think the problem might be? Has anyone else been here before too? Crossing my fingers the controller isn't completely gubbed.
Check all connections, give them a good physical wobble, unplug, replug, clean contacts if you can.

Do them one at a time and start with the battery cable and mounting plates.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery discharge voltage reading ?
If 0v then battery fuse blown.

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
Battery discharge voltage reading ?
If 0v then battery fuse blown.
Ohhh I wouldn't know how to take that kind of reading! The light's come on when I press the battery self test button though. Does that mean it's all good with the battery or could the fuse still be blown?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery self test only tells you the battery has voltage internally it doesn't tell you anything coming out of it.
Use a meter on the battery discharge port, set it to 200v dc and poke one probe each in to a different side of the port .

When the display fails to sw on it is simply because no voltage is getting thru.
  • flat battery or no voltage coming out from said battery.
  • Bad wire connection .
  • Faulty controller.
Faulty controller is unlikely if last time it worked ok , though damp or leaving it outside could cause shorting when the battery is connected.

Firstly rule out a battery fuse issue by taking a proper volatge reading from the battery with a meter, no battery dismantling is needed.

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
The battery self test only tells you the battery has voltage internally it doesn't tell you anything coming out of it.
Use a meter on the battery discharge port, set it to 200v dc and poke one probe each in to a different side of the port .

When the display fails to sw on it is simply because no voltage is getting thru.
  • flat battery or no voltage coming out from said battery.
  • Bad wire connection .
  • Faulty controller.
Faulty controller is unlikely if last time it worked ok , though damp or leaving it outside could cause shorting when the battery is connected.

Firstly rule out a battery fuse issue by taking a proper volatge reading from the battery with a meter, no battery dismantling is needed.
Great thanks. _i'll try that tonight as you suggested. I had previously washed the bike with a soft pressure hose and brush. Maybe water got into the motor. Is that where the controller is? If it's shorted is the whole thing a goner?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The controller is indeed inside the motor casing. The controller itself is encase in a tough compound of sorts but the connector ends would be susceptible to water ingress.

Pressure washing of any sort around ebike connections is never a good idea.

The motor cover is easily removed for inspection to see if water did get in or not.

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
I will have a look at the weekend whenI get some luxury of daylight to see what's going on. If I cant use a hose to clean off a muddy, cruddy bike what would you recommend to wash it down and stop the parts from corroding with all the salt they chuck on Scottish roads?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@Brian park - when I clean off my bike I spray it with Muc Off first then hose wash (at normal tap pressure) all over the bike EXCEPT around the motor and other vulnerable connections where I use a wetted soft brush and maybe a cloth to finish off.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I simply use a washing up dish brush to brush off wet mud /dirt, then a damp soapy wet rag to clean things up finishing off with a wet oily rag . . WD40 is as good as anything for damping a rag and wiping over.
Also I have got some scottlier 365 cleaner and muck off , they are snake oil cleaners which I will buy if I see them at a very good price.

Hose pipes or any running water isn't a good idea for ebike elecrtics or motors.

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
I used a soft hose on mist setting so it should be fine :oops: definitely no more pressure than road spray would throw at it .Fingers crossed it should be ok...

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My commute is so bumpy the mud just falls off the next day!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My bike is a very frequently folded, picked up and carried by hand bike... so after cleainng (just the frame and motor) with damp rags, I degrease with isopropyl alcohol, because I got sick of ending up with grease all over my hands and clothes.

Reactions: Brian park

Brian park

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2018
so I dont have a multimeter to hand but I realised the battery does have a usb power outlet. Upon testing it initially there was no power to any of my devices then miraculously it started up and began charging again. What is that all about?!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Could there be an on/off switch somewhere you hadn't noticed, that the USB somehow turned on?

Advertisers