tyre pressure and punctures

D

Deleted member 4366

Just a reminder: It's very rare that you have to remove the wheel to fix a puncture. It's only when you continue to ride with a flat tyre that you rip out the valve, which then means you have to take the wheel off to fix it. All normal punctures can be fixed by the method I outlined in my previous post.

Nearly every time I go out on my road bike, I get punctures. It's no big deal to fix them as long as you carry a puncture kit that includes rubber solution, patches, sandpaper and tyre levers. They often have chalk and a grater too, which you should use to spread over the tube around the patch to stop it sticking to the tyre when you pump it up. If you don't have that, you can use dust off the ground.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: mw1 and LeighPing

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
I am posting here so as to apologies to you for my shocking behavior. I wasn't having a good day, when i said what i did. I was just going by other forums where as they dont allow that. But it was very rude of me and i hope you can forgive me

This also applies to all here too,
I am posting here so as to apologies to you for my shocking behavior. I wasn't having a good day, when i said what i did. I was just going by other forums where as they dont allow that. But it was very rude of me and i hope you can forgive me

No problem and no offence taken. We can't all be perfect all of the time

Reactions: mw1 and Alan Quay

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
No problem and no offence taken. We can't all be perfect all of the time

No It was unforgiving of me But I hope its all sorted now its not like me to be like that, just that i have had some problems but should not of taken it out on you. Im glad you have accepted my apology. just hope others can too

Reactions: mw1 and Alan Quay

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

All forums are different on here there are no mods, on the odd occasion it gets a bit silly. Generally as long as a post is somewhat related to the thread it is fair to post, I've even posted on some one else's thread or resurrected someone else's older thread. If the I think the subject is relevant, I think it is better for some topic info to be be kept within a thread instead of separate threads for the same topic.

• Agree
Reactions: mw1

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Just a reminder: It's very rare that you have to remove the wheel to fix a puncture. It's only when you continue to ride with a flat tyre that you rip out the valve, which then means you have to take the wheel off to fix it. All normal punctures can be fixed by the method I outlined in my previous post.

Nearly every time I go out on my road bike, I get punctures. It's no big deal to fix them as long as you carry a puncture kit that includes rubber solution, patches, sandpaper and tyre levers. They often have chalk and a grater too, which you should use to spread over the tube around the patch to stop it sticking to the tyre when you pump it up. If you don't have that, you can use dust off the ground.

can see what you are saying, but if its a very small hole. I have a job to see where it is unless i am placing the tube in some water. to see the bubbles but not much good if you are not near any water. as cant take water about on bike all time, well a small bottle but thats no good. I have tried placing tub against my face to feel any air but still no good. any suggestions

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
can see what you are saying, but if its a very small hole. I have a job to see where it is unless i am placing the tube in some water. to see the bubbles but not much good if you are not near any water. as cant take water about on bike all time, well a small bottle but thats no good. I have tried placing tub against my face to feel any air but still no good. any suggestions
If you can't feel it leaking, pump it up and it'll get you home.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
No It was unforgiving of me But I hope its all sorted now its not like me to be like that, just that i have had some problems but should not of taken it out on you. Im glad you have accepted my apology. just hope others can too

You should be ashamed of yourself! :D

Ah lighten up dude. Take it all with a pinch of salt. Life's too short for bowing and scraping. Although, it's an honorable and pleasant change that you've made the effort. So nice one, and thanks. :)

• Agree
Reactions: mw1 and Angelnorth

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
It's no big deal to fix them as long as you carry a puncture kit that includes rubber solution, patches, sandpaper and tyre levers. They often have chalk and a grater too, which you should use to spread over the tube around the patch to stop it sticking to the tyre when you pump it up. If you don't have that, you can use dust off the ground.
Are the self-adhesive patches (the likes of Slime Skabs) any good? Just thinking they'd presumably save the need for chalk since you'd have no exposed adhesive.

D

Deleted member 4366

Are the self-adhesive patches (the likes of Slime Skabs) any good? Just thinking they'd presumably save the need for chalk since you'd have no exposed adhesive.
Good question. They work if you clean the rubber around the hole with the sandpaper. You must sand it until you have an even matt black surface. I have used them a few times when I've run out of normal patches, but I trust normal patches more.

Rubber solution and mormal patches are dead easy to use: Clean the surface; put on a blob of solution; use your finger to spread it around until it starts to become sticky; leave it a couple of minutes to dry; stick on the patch and press it down all round; peel of the celophane covering; cover in chalk. The hardest bit is getting off the celophane without pealing off the patch. You just have to be careful. If the edge of the patch does lift, force a bit of solution into the gap, leave it for a couple of minutes and then press it down.

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
...leave it a couple of minutes to dry...
That's the bit I find hardest - impatient? Me? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the verdict on the self adhesive ones, sounds like I'd be as well off just getting a regular kit (the various ones in odds and ends boxes around the place have been around long enough I wouldn't trust the rubber solution) and exercising a bit of patience if/when I need to use it.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Agree with the above - I've had marathon pluses and no puncture for 18 months. Just keep them up to pressure and enjoy not changing tubes in the rain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
As far as puncture repair kits go, I've found that Poundland ones are surprisingly good (had mine for years ). Other than the essentials as mentioned by D8veh, and not shown in the pic on the front of the box, mine also included a selection of Allen keys. Not bad for a pound. I just add new patches / rubber solution as required.
Mark

Attachments

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have tried placing tub against my face to feel any air but still no good. any suggestions
I hold the tube close to my lips which are more sensitive than skin, if no joy there I hold close to an eye which never fails.
Best not to put a lot of air in the tube when it's out of the tyre as it can swell and distort or worse still burst open at the original hole causing a split which can't then be repaired.
Just enough air to make it the size it would be when in the tyre is fine.
Dave.

• Informative
Reactions: Twinkleten
D

Deleted member 4366

You pump a bit of air into the tube - enough to make it swell. Wrap your hand around it, like you hold a pint of beer or your other favourite cylindrival object, except you mustn't grip it. Slide it round the tube. When you get to the puncture, you will hear it hiss. If that doesn't work, pump it up a bit more and repeat.

Holding a tube close to your face or against your cheek is a good way to detect the puncture, but not easy when the tube is still on the bike.

If the puncture was enough to flatten your tyre, you should be able to find it easily. Pin-pricks make slow puctures. They're harder to find, but normally, you can ride home without having to fix them. Just keep pumping up the tyre.

I think you're making this more difficult than it is. I've had maybe 50 or more punctures when I've been out riding my bikes during the last few years. Three days ago, I got 6 punctures at once in my road bike. We had 6 patches and no more in the kit. One time, on my electric bike, I got two in the back and one in the front at the same time, and I didn't even have a pump, but I've never had a problem fixing anything. In the case of the pump, I noticed a guy servicing his car on his driveway, so I asked him if he had a pump. Luckily, he did. Never be frightened to ask.

As well as our own punctures, we've rescued loads of other guys that didn't have puncture kits.

Reactions: mw1

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
No puncture repair kit works in the wet.

Sod's law says it will be raining when you puncture, and there will be no shelter nearby.

My first resort is always to change the tube.

I do carry - and have used - self adhesive patches.

They work in the comfort of my kitchen, but having them on board is worthwhile, the new tube might fail during installation or you might get a second puncture.

If nothing else, there's the option to give a patch to a stranded cyclist.

The Park Tools patches come in a neat little box, although my MTB riding mate prefers Skabs because they are a bit meatier and he reckons they stick better.

http://www.sprocketscycles.com/gp2c-pre-glued-super-patch-kit?gclid=CIWZxM6o6M4CFRcYGwodHxYNog#.V8UNi7VCXmA

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/slime-skabs-self-adhesive-patches-p137636

• Informative

Advertisers