Water in 905se motor

marco12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2009
Hi all
On Monday, while riding home from work,
I went as usual through a tunnel under the A3, as usual it was pitch black in there, so didn't see that it was flooded, when the water reached the top of my boots I had to get off and carry the bike on my shoulder the rest of the way, the bike was fine the rest of the journey and the next day, this morning however, it was making an awful racket which receded after a bit, then it started cutting out. Upshot is, I've removed the back wheel to open up the motor casing, but now I'm stuck on removing the gear cassette to access the screws, anybody got any ideas? Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
More likely water ingress is affecting your electrics--as your bike is unfortunately displaying classic symptoms !! The motor problem/sound you mention would suggest damp hall sensor wires - probably at the connector linking with the controller.Flecc will know your best course of action and how to implement it.
You could try posting in the main forum for a quicker response-- Wispers David Miall is second to none in responding to any problems with his bikes - and will no doubt soon help you out .Customer care is premium wih Wisper .

David 07733 226906 Douglas 01590 681553 Steve service@wisperbikes. com

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only just seen this. It's almost certain to be the wiring connections to the motor and not within the motor itself, so don't bother with the cassette as yet. Check the connectors in line between the motor and the controller, unplug and replug the connections to ensure continuity. You'll probably have to remove insulation to do this. Loss of a connection in the five Hall sensor wires in that line can make the motor make an awful racket that makes it sound as if it's falling to pieces. Loss of certain ones, or in one of the three thicker phase wires, can make the motor cut out. (There's eight connections in all).

Water in the controller can also bring similar symptoms, you may have to
bring the bike into the warmth indoors for a thorough drying out if the connections are found not to be faulty.

Once again, the motor itself is unlikely to be at fault so leave that until last.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi all
On Monday, while riding home from work,
I went as usual through a tunnel under the A3, as usual it was pitch black in there, so didn't see that it was flooded, when the water reached the top of my boots I had to get off and carry the bike on my shoulder the rest of the way, the bike was fine the rest of the journey and the next day, this morning however, it was making an awful racket which receded after a bit, then it started cutting out. Upshot is, I've removed the back wheel to open up the motor casing, but now I'm stuck on removing the gear cassette to access the screws, anybody got any ideas? Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks
Hi Marco, as Flecc says, this is certainly due to connection problems rather than a problem with the mechanics of the motor. If the problem persists please contact your supplier and we will get it sorted out for you.

Best regards

David

marco12

Aug 24, 2009
thanks guys, I have now disconnected the controller and packed in to a container full of rice to draw out any moisture, I will put everything back together tomorrow and inform you of the results:)

marco12

Aug 24, 2009
Water in 905se

Hello again, I have just reinstalled the controller unit, while doing so, I have noticed scorching on some of the connectors ( hall, and a ,twin connector) have just taken bike for a spin around the block, and apart from a noise that something is trying, no power, I have decided that I need a new controller, and have just ordered one from the electric tans poet shop. Once again thanks for your kindly (and prompt) reponses

Advertisers