What are the main reasons for why you cycle?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I cycle to work because public transport is slower, very expensive, unreliable and very crowded at rush hour.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maintaining fitness and the unique enjoyment of cycling, far ahead of any other travel mode for the pleasure that it gives.

At the end of a cycling trip of any sort, there's a feeling of satisfaction that no other vehicle can give, one that still holds good for e-bikes.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I cycle to work because public transport is slower, very expensive, unreliable and very crowded at rush hour.
I would second that.. though in addition I would say that I can't and won't drive ( never passed my test and too expensive anyway). I have a four year old and I was getting back from work about ten minutes before she went to bed.. (absent Father!). The electric bike reduces my commute time by on average 45 minutes during rush hour.. I can wiggle through residential areas). In addition, my commute involves negotiating some serious hills ( I live in Bath) and I didn't fancy doing it alone on a conventional bike as it would involve showering and changing when I arrive, so I decided to buy an electric bike that would climb the hills reliably and leave me fresh and not too sweaty!

hope that helps,
bw
musicbooks

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Ability to travel where a car or motorcycle cannot, e.g. cycle lanes. I live on a large campus and travel about 7 miles per day on it, needing to get around quickly and efficiently. The e-bike is ideal for that job.

Secondly, environmental reasons.

Thirdly, convenience: easy to start/stop, no protective clothing needed.

Fourthly, health. Being out in the fresh air for extended periods is fun (I go on long rides two or three times each week) and good exercise.

Fifthly, cost. I rarely drive distances under 5 miles where previously I frequently did.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Finding I am starting to get out of breath quicker on an ordinary bike than I used to, that and the incentive of the cycle to work scheme.

I think that it would be interesting to look at the demograph of riders. I get the impression that most on the forum are returning cyclists. In spite of it being legal to ride them at 14 there seem to very few young riders ~I assume it is the cost.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that it would be interesting to look at the demograph of riders. I get the impression that most on the forum are returning cyclists. In spite of it being legal to ride them at 14 there seem to very few young riders ~I assume it is the cost.
We had a thread on this at one time, showing the great majority of members over 50 with many in the 70s. Since then many in their 30s to 50s have joined so I think it more balanced, but there's hardly any in their 20s and I know of none in their teens, anywhere, ever.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Because I (still) can

As I get older and less able to take part in sporting activities I feel like a tree, each year another my girth grows a little (or a lot!). At 54 I find that I can not play squash, badminton, or run any more, but I can still swim and cycle. I benefit in many practical ways from cycling, and love the experience, but when it comes down to it, I do it because its one of the few things I still can.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Because i'm at my most happy on 2 wheels exploring the streets of London and the country lanes of Kent, I get bored whilst walking and waiting for public transport, I'm an environmentalist so have never driven a car, I need to get fitter and lose weight, I like to breath fresh air when possible, and i like to get to places quickly with the minimum of fuss.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Finding I am starting to get out of breath quicker on an ordinary bike than I used to, that and the incentive of the cycle to work scheme.

I'm in my late 30's, female and I started cycling about 10 years ago but hadn't ridden regularly for about 6 years due to work pressures, fitness and moving to the edge of london so unable to commute comfortably.

Buying my Wisper was the best thing I've done in years!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
A chance to say "Good morning"

Maintaining full mobility in the old joints.

Enjoying the constantly changing scenery of the urban and rural cycle routes.

It's peaceful, non-aggresive, stress free and I get to say "Good morning" to so many smiling people.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
In order:
  1. I love it (and i hate driving)
  2. Health\free exercise
  3. Commuting (more reliable than car\ same speed)
  4. Less stressful than driving
  5. Cheap transport
  6. Morals (I dont think cars should be allowed in areas where people live, outside is fine,, but not in towns or villages)

Jack.Eagle

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2008
summary so far

-pleasure getting out in the open air
-cost saving compared with other modes of transport
-Better than public transport in terms of travel time waiting time, cost and comfort
-Fitness
-Quicker than other modes of transport
-Environmental reasons
-Not wanting to use a car
-Easy and quick to use
-Seeing people on journeys

Many thanks for your comments and I look forward to some more!

Cheers

Jack

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
The main reason I bought a Pedalec was because we moved further away from the place I work. The total distance I ended up riding each week (+/- 150km) meant I was seriously knackered, and using the car more and more. I got into a vicious circle of more car use/less fitness/less wish to cycle. I am pleased to say that my Agattu has got me out of that, the only thing stopping me from cycling every day has been the terrible weather we have had recently.

I am also looking at ways I can do my bit for the environment. I have been a member of Sustrans for many years and have been looking for ways to use and expand this incredible national resource that is often overlooked.

My last reason is the unpleasant experience that driving on the roads during rush-hour has become. My particular hate is the aggression shown by drivers in this area. For example, I have frequently had the experience of being blocked from merging into a lane by someone undertaking me and then refusing to let me join the traffic. I used my car today because of the bad forecast and was tailgated by a lorry (so close that I couldn't see his headlights) for most of my journey home because I dared to try and observe the speed limit.

No longer! I have started looking forward to cycling again. I can get to work using Sustrans route 6 for 75% of the way and then off road for another 20%. I never see a moving car most mornings. And I save 30 pence a mile on petrol alone.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Cheaper, quicker (especially in Bath). I also like to pedal so believe it or not for fitness reasons!

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I can't drive and have no desire to start. It looks far too stressful.

I found traditional cycling to be too much hard work and very uncool to be struggling up hills. I think as we get older we become a little more dignified (or lazy?) :). So I gave up cycling and took up hiking/walking. But the problem with hiking was that I grew tired of the same routes in my area and it also takes up a little too much time to walk certain routes.

So ebiking has helped to maintain a cool demeanor while adding more routes to my list.

I only cycle early in the morning (6 am) when there's no traffic around. I love the "I am Legend" vibe I get when cycling along empty roads haha.

I plan to get a GPS system soon and then I'll not have to avoid unknown roads and worry about getting lost ...and ate by zombie vampires.

rustyrocker

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2008
I use my Pro Connect for travelling to work. Its only 2 miles away, a journey I used to do in a car.:eek: Total of about 800 miles a year. The poor engine never had chance to get warm! so it had to go.

The bike trip takes roughly 7 to 8 minutes each way, compared to 3 to 4 minutes in the car, so I dont even have to get up any earlier:)

Theres no way I would have given up the car if ebikes werent available though. The thought of having to do all the work myself put me off.

Image was quite important too. A pair of prescription shades was a must, as was a peaked cap to deflect the wind, but i draw the line at lycra:eek:

Mick

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
I've always had a bike. As a kid in 1960 ish it was bits put together from various tips - there was a good one at the back of where Woolworths now is in Watford, we even had a a 350 AJS out of there! Nicking I suppose, but we didn't see it that way as 13 year olds, it was scrap anyway! A bike however was a great way of increasing your horizons, fishing trips etc.

Later I had a Carlton sports bike, as a young family man it was invaluable when the car was broken and I had to get to work. Luton to Hemel was a bit of a flog but acheivable in my fairly unfit late 20s. As a young family we all had bikes and would load them all in our battered old Mardon caravan and go all round Britain exploring.

In the 90's I bought my first new bike, one of these "hybrid" things, a bit like a road bike with narrow profile knobblies. Awful thing, weighed a ton and handled like an iron bedstead. It's now been shown the local tip.

But to the core of the answer. When I was younger I loved the independance and freedom a bike gave. But now in my early 60s it's a matter of neccessity. I contracted viral myocarditis 4 years ago. That led to a complex heart condition which means DVLA have revoked my driving licence. The only way I can have some form of independance is via my electric bike, although that still means a huge loss of freedom through NOT being able to drive! I can no longer get to Ivinghoe Beacon to fly model gliders, or fish more remote parts of the countryside. Neither can I take any of my Vintage Motorcycles to runs around Britain. At least I can get down the local town though.

So lets not suppose an electric bike is a complete substitute for personal motorised transport, eh?

Advertisers