What type/spec bike is best for trail riding

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Probably not strictly an eMTB question, but feel I might get the best answer here.
Warning long post ahead.

I have recently restarted cycling after some 30+ years and quickly realised I'm nowhere near as fit as I was in my younger years, so I bought an ebike. Another thing I have noticed is the amount of traffic isn't the same, I seem to be thinking about the traffic all the time, plus riding on roads is boring.

With that in mind I am looking to do off-road trails. The type that you can find on-line on Strava etc. Pre set out routes, but not too technical (at the moment). I have just ordered a Garmin Edge to help with this.

The question is what bike would best suit this type of riding?

I currently have two ebikes, a Woosh Fat Boy with a rear hub 250w 36v Bafang G06 motor that I have kind of tried to prep for this type of riding. The thing is it's quite a heavy bike and has 3" tyres (which I like the look of by the way, so don't want to change them), but it's lacking just a little in the performance area and too be honest I actually like the bike and it's in good condition and I don't really want to take it off road.
IMG_20200811_084605705.jpg

The second ebike I have is one I put together myself. I bought a used Trek 3500 and a used 250w 36v geared front hub Voilamart kit. This was put together for under £300 all in! The bike is much lighter and has plenty of go and accelerates very well up to the legal limit. Now this was just a bit of cheap fun for my first build, but as it is front drive I can tell that the front wheels will spin out on the off-road stuff and be challenging for the routes I want to use it on. Biggest issue is that you get full power with the pedal assist, although to combat this I added a twist throttle, but I'm guessing this will be difficult to use on bumpy surfaces as well.

IMG_20200811_085134021.jpg

With that, I want to ask what should I look for to give me the best bike for on road and off road trails? I have a small budget £300-400 for a used bike and up to £600 for a kit inc battery. Let’s say £1000 max all in.

The bike: (this is the important bit I really need advice on), I'm more interested in bike specifics here rather than make and model as I'll be buying used and limited to what comes up for sale. With that, I'm not keen on drop handle bar bikes and dedicated flat bar gravel bikes seem rare and expensive. Also do I want rigid or suspension front forks, spring coil/air, how much travel would be OK? How many gears? disc brakes or rim brakes? (will be used mostly in the dry), wheel/tyre size? (see about kits below). I'm a bit confused about what would best suit for now and possibly a bit more later.

The kit: (if you have any advice that would be great). Not too keen on mid drive to be honest as given my budget there seems to be limited chose and I'll just end up with more trouble and hassle with maintaining the thing. Rear hub is my preference, maybe the SWX02 48v 250w rear hub kit from Woosh?. One issue I have come up against is finding decent kits for 27.5" and 29" wheels, most seem to be for 26" or 28"/700c wheels. Also as far as the kit is concerned it will need to be UK road legal as well.

I think that's it? possibly more questions as (if) answers come in.

Any advice would be much appreciated and sorry for the long post, but wanted to be clear what I needed.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use a 700c hub bike for all my off road riding whether local in the woods, North or South Downs or any where between. Fitted with swept back handle bars the bike suits me perfectly, one doesn't have to be stuck with mtb style just because that's the trend.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Trail riding is a very broad spectrum
You have to ask your self are you likely to get more adventurous
If your not then happy days but you don't want to buy a bike then regret it
Choose wisely

Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I use a 700c hub bike for all my off road riding whether local in the woods, North or South Downs or any where between. Fitted with swept back handle bars the bike suits me perfectly, one doesn't have to be stuck with mtb style just because that's the trend.
True, but my personal taste does tend to lean towards a more robust looking type bike with larger tyres. Originally I was after a fat bike, but have decided against that now.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
True, but my personal taste does tend to lean towards a more robust looking type bike with larger tyres. Originally I was after a fat bike, but have decided against that now.
You can buy a plus tyre bike then you can run a 2.8 or 3.0 inch tyre there a lot better than all out fat tyres

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
You can buy a plus tyre bike then you can run a 2.8 or 3.0 inch tyre there a lot better than all out fat tyres
Ah no sorry should have said the Fat Boy already satisfies that roll. I did say I was no longer interested in a Fat Bike. Lesson learned that with a 250w motor limit, it isn't going to be much fun. Now looking for something that is easier to ride longer distances both on and off road, but still has a reasonable size tyre, maybe 2.25 or there about, therefore I would like a mountain/gravel type bike as my preference. Just want to know what setup would be best suited as I outlined above, in terms of shocks/brakes etc. ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There is no best bike except for the one you feel is most comfortable to ride, 700c for me with up to 47c tyres.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Yeah, I guess it's personal preference, taste and comfort. To be fair I haven't actually ridden either of my ebikes on a trail yet. So might be a good idea to see what I like and don't like about either I suppose.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Forgetting about type of motor/budget.
I have an ebike with chunky tyres and front suspension which is fine on roads and light trails but on anything really rough its not so good dut to the riding position. I recently bought a full suspension ebike and the notable differences are the front wheel is much further away at a much shallower angle which makes the bike feel much safer going downhill on rough ground. The brakes are uprated hydraulic discs and the tyres are plus size so I feel I can be more adventurous whilst still feeling safe.
If I had the skills to build a bike then a good quality full suspension mtb with hydraulic disc brakes would be my start point.

Reactions: MikeFB

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Yep first time on a trail today. Have to say my front hub Trek did very well, albeit a short taster run.

Was surprised how rough the trail was. Lots of tree routes across the trail made for a rather bumpy ride that was cushioned by standing up. Was also surprised by how much loose chalk/stone there was which made it quite slippery and scary especially going down hill.

By the way, I don't ride slow anywhere, I'm the type who rides quite hard, I don't like to meander about. So with that in mind I think a few more runs should give me a better idea of what I need hopefully.

Oh and while the Trek did OK, I don't think the front drive and throttle combo are the best option for me for this type of riding.

Related Articles

Advertisers