wheel re lacing spoke diameter.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I have a hub motor in a wheel with many missing and broken spokes. those that remain are seized to their nipples. so i need to re-lace the wheel. the wheel rim is not round its got a little wobble in it but i think it should be correctable?

i have sized my spokes by length and received a new set But they are about half the thickness (diameter) of the originals?

the hub motor is 48v but unknown power (22a controller) busted headset.. but i guess its 750w possibly 1000w based on its size and pictures on web ads for similar sized hubs.

should i source thicker spokes to match the ones i am replacing circa 2mm thick(diameter) or can i use the thinner circa 1mm cycle spokes ? or would the torque from the larger motor be too much and result in destruction?

the thinner spokes sit into and anchor the hub fine. Im just confused as to why the thicker spokes to begin with and suspect its because they are required, otherwise the cheaper thinner spokes would have been used..

thanks in advance..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you replace all the spokes, the thinner ones will be OK, but not if you only replace a proportion of them. Also, check that the ends of the spokes can't pull through the holes in the motor.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If you replace all the spokes, the thinner ones will be OK, but not if you only replace a proportion of them. Also, check that the ends of the spokes can't pull through the holes in the motor.
Many Thanks, Yes they all need replacing, and yes the thinner spokes anchor well in the hub motor, first thing i checked..

Thanks again i can now head off and start my evening of youtube watching how to lace wheel vids .. bet i still screw up ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Many Thanks, Yes they all need replacing, and yes the thinner spokes anchor well in the hub motor, first thing i checked..

Thanks again i can now head off and start my evening of youtube watching how to lace wheel vids .. bet i still screw up ;)
Thinner spokes are easier to build with, they stay tight and they give a more comfortable ride.

Advertisers