Wheel turns the wrong way.

xyzzy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2009
I have just installed a new controller on my electric scooter and the wheel turns the wrong way. If I swap the supply leads around the wheel does not turn as the Hall detectors are not in the same rotation. Do I have to change both these sets of these leads?
Why is a controller designed to drive the wrong direction? It is a big job to alter Hall connectors and I was hoping I might have done something else wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Starting from the original point with the wheel turning the wrong way, try swapping just one pair of phase leads.

xyzzy

Apr 5, 2009
Starting from the original point with the wheel turning the wrong way, try swapping just one pair of phase leads.
Hi flecc. I tried that, with the phase leads but only one configuration works. As I understand it, one has to alter the phasing of the Hall leads to conform?? Is that correct?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc. I tried that, with the phase leads but only one configuration works. As I understand it, one has to alter the phasing of the Hall leads to conform?? Is that correct?
I'm not sure but think that's right. A fiddly job to do, but it could be the answer.

I don't know what the brake arrangemnt is on your wheel or if the wheel is symmetrical, but could the wheel be reversed instead?

xyzzy

Apr 5, 2009
I'm not sure but think that's right. A fiddly job to do, but it could be the answer.

I don't know what the brake arrangemnt is on your wheel or if the wheel is symmetrical, but could the wheel be reversed instead?
Hmmm. I don't know really. It is worth looking at to see if is possible. Thanks for your help.

xyzzy

Apr 5, 2009
Hey, for anyone who is interested I've solved it. On my controller I have a pair of wires called "Self Study". I connect these together with the power on and then disconnect them. Believe it or believe it not the wheels then turned in the correct direction.
I'm not sure how this works but looking around the internet suggests one should rotate the wheel, in the correct direction, by hand for it to learn the correct direction. I didn't do that and it still worked.
I also disconnected the Hall cables and it still worked; must work on the back EMF, sensor-less control.
xyzzy

Advertisers