When is it time to replace a battery?

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I have a Samsung 36v 15AH lithium battery. Purchased in August 2015. Its done just over 4000 miles and, being only used for leisure purposes (approximately 20 miles each time), its probably been charged 200 times. Recently I've noticed that the "power indicator" is dropping much more often on steeper parts of my ride - although it still reverts back to full when back on the flat. I'm thinking that (due to age and number of charges) its probably time to replace this battery but would be interested in any expert comments. Also, can these batteries be "reconditioned"? Plus, if I replace the battery, what options have I got for the old battery, given that it still does the job (albeit with probably less potential ride distance). Or do I just dispose of it? (safely?)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the battery still does the job without cutting out then keep using it until it starts to do so then think about replacing it.
If wanting anew battery simply buy a new one or try and get it re-celled.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
If the battery still does the job without cutting out then keep using it until it starts to do so then think about replacing it.
If wanting anew battery simply buy a new one or try and get it re-celled.
Many thanks. I take your point but, although I usually only do about 20 miles, I do the occasional longer ride (with some steep hills) and I dont want to be in the situation where the battery runs out of power a few miles from home/car. I'm happy to pay for a replecement (after all "you cant take it with you!") - 7 years/4000 miles on this one seems a fair return for my money. However the "re-celling" option sounds interesting.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they custom build packs and do recell packs

Advertisers