Who is right and who is wrong? - How taxpayers money is wasted!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The carriage way is for carriages, be theyhorse drawn, motor propelled or two wheeled.
And the legal term for any motorised vehicle, including pedelecs, is a locomotive. This was first used in respect of roads in the Highway Act, 1835 which made all motorised vehicles of any kind illegal.

Since then anything with a propulsion motor can only be used on the roads if it has a specific permission in law for its type. Hence new introductions like the Segway are automatically illegal.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It's not just the equipment that should be subject to scrutiny it's the operators of such propulsion vehicles, as an elite driver I do get fed up of the incompetent fools that are allowed on the roads nowadays. I think electric transportation is the future, when better more powerful bikes are built and permitted to be used they need tracks for these, you just cannot mix pedal bikes and cars on the same road it's lunacy. I am all for bikes so let's start building the 'cycle' lanes for the future without impeding the fine motorists in their locomotives :)

D

Deleted member 4366

when better more powerful bikes are built and permitted to be used they need tracks for these, you just cannot mix pedal bikes and cars on the same road it's lunacy.
Does that make sense? We've had 50cc and bigger motorcycles on the road since as long as I can remember. Is it a problem?

Where's the certificate that says that you're an elite driver? Are you sure that that's not just your imagination making a false reality?

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Does that make sense? We've had 50cc and bigger motorcycles on the road since as long as I can remember. Is it a problem?

Where's the certificate that says that you're an elite driver? Are you sure that that's not just your imagination making a false reality?
Drivers have to undergo training and a test to get licences therefore are elite compared to any fool that can jump on a bike and set off up a main road without any training or knowledge of the rules of the road or law.

• Dislike
Reactions: mike killay

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Drivers have to undergo training and a test to get licences therefore are elite compared to any fool that can jump on a bike and set off up a main road without any training or knowledge of the rules of the road or law.
In my experience, "learning to pass a driving test" and "learning to drive" are two different things. The former can be achieved in a few weeks and the latter can take an entire lifetime.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At last people are seeing sense and realising it is the clueless idiot cyclists who are getting themselves killed, another reason why ALL should have training before being allowed on a road!!!! EXACTLY what I have been saying!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3807858/Road-safety-advert-blames-CYCLISTS-run-lorries-Controversial-advert-shows-HGV-overtaking-man-bike-driving-him.html
Stills don't tell the story, a video is needed. All too often it's the cyclist who rides up into the nearside when the lorry slows approaching the corner, as many of the CCTV videos have shown.

It's that common circumstance the safety advert is about.

Last edited:

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Stills don't tell th story, a video is needed. All too often it's the cyclist who rides up into the nearside when the lorry slows approaching the corner, as many of th CCTV videos have shown.

It's that common circumstance the safety advert is about.
The video is in that link above, anyway here is the youtube link to it

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a poor video. With these sort of things you need to spell it out clearly. If you blink, you miss the important bit, which is lost between all the whizzes and bangs that divert your attention.

Reactions: flecc

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It's a poor video. With these sort of things you need to spell it out clearly. If you blink, you miss the important bit, which is lost between all the whizzes and bangs that divert your attention.
I agree with you totally, at first I thought I had the wrong video, very poor especially if its being shown where you cant replay it and only see it once.

But this is the problem, naive people playing at being big boys on the road, it can't be done, one foolish mistake and your dead! Lorry drivers are mainly professional but what hope do they have with a naive clown on a bike who thinks they can sneak up on the inside then get crushed!

I have driven towing trailers, also driven larger long and heavy vehicles and its amazing even at roundabout how some other drivers have no clue as to the space you would need or the consequences of them cutting in quickly when your braking distance is not so quick as theirs due to your load.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I've paid enough over the years towards the roads and still paying. If I choose to cycle on them, I will.
The problem is with the up their own asses, get out of my way motorists and not the cyclists.
If the cycle paths going where I want and is clear of pedestrians and dogs then I may choose that option but it's my choice.
I'm looking for the option list which says agree x100.

MS.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Instead of getting the cyclists off the road, they should get all the cars off the road. Most of them don't need to be there anyway. They're just to lazy to walk or use a bike, especially those that complain about the cyclists. I met one once outside Aldi where I get my chicken and mango salads. He had driven to the adjacent pizza hut to get his pizzas. He was fat and had already had one heart attack. How much did that cost us all?
That had cost us a real cheesy start.

MS.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
One thing that doesn't surprise me in the least is that Smart eBiker reads the Daily Heil...

Advertisers