Why did you buy an e-bike ?

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
In fact why do you cycle ?

Some interesting quotes here from a wide and varied spectrum of society.

http://www.bikeboom.info/quotes/

I cycle for "purpose". My bicycles are my primary mode of transport, and the only thing that stops me from using a bike, is ice.

How about you ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There was a survey on here a while back before you joined, @flecc will find the link ;)

I didn't buy an e-bike I bought a kit, then a second... Last year I did end up buying a tricycle, does that count? :p

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Coz I was fat!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As a card paying member of the working poor I can't afford a car. I live in an area with pathetic public transport - expensive, strange timetables..., but which is adjacent to an area with great public transport. My first thought was to bridge the 13 km gap between here and there.

Then when you discover that a pedelec can be a car substitute in many situations you start using it for other journeys too, in my case mucking about in the Pyrenees. And the next step is long range travel (retirement approaches!) so a recumbent trike joined the stable with a project of adding a vélomobile shell to make it faster, more economical, more comfortable in the weather...

So I guess that is full circle, from a normal car to a tiny electric powered one :)

Reactions: flecc

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
As a card paying member of the working poor I can't afford a car. I live in an area with pathetic public transport - expensive, strange timetables..., but which is adjacent to an area with great public transport. My first thought was to bridge the 13 km gap between here and there.

Then when you discover that a pedelec can be a car substitute in many situations you start using it for other journeys too, in my case mucking about in the Pyrenees. And the next step is long range travel (retirement approaches!) so a recumbent trike joined the stable with a project of adding a vélomobile shell to make it faster, more economical, more comfortable in the weather...

So I guess that is full circle, from a normal car to a tiny electric powered one :)
Like your thinking about cycles in general, especially your Velomobile fancy.
Any thoughts how you would do it, Papier mache, fibreglass, or thin ply?

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
I find it quite interesting, the questions I get asked about my bike by others considering buying one. The first is usually "how much was it ?" followed by "how far does it go ?", followed by a lot of negative head shaking. My first foray into e-bikes was many years ago. Home builds using Dawes Kingpins propelled by Atco 12 volt lawnmower power units, and a powered " pusher " driven trailer. The trailer utilised a modified lawn mower Peerless transaxle which worked well, and hauled many a load of fire wood over the years. To me, a bicycle is the ultimate form of personal transport, an e-bike takes things a step further, especially in urban areas where it bridges the gap between pedal power and petrol power. One thing that puzzles me is why the necessity for ever increasing techno babble, which invariably pushes up costs, and leads to reliability problems in later life. What is affordable to someone on a tight budget, and easily diagnosed when it goes wrong ? I bought my bike from a local dealer, who I trust, and has also taken the time to learn their product. A friend bought his bike online (for the sake of saving a few quid) and is already suffering problems, mainly as a result of buying from someone who "doesn't know what they're selling" and most of the problems being a result of poor or lack of PDI.

I regularly pass two industrial estates during rush hour periods, and notice many of the drivers stuck in gridlocked traffic stay locally, and the local council have provide genuine first-class cycle ways to both estate's. Perhaps one of the factors affecting the use of e-bikes could be the ability to purchase a second hand car for less than half the price of an e-bike. From many years experience in alternative power supplies, like e-bikes, which I put in the same category, I have learned that the product should be affordable to all, which unfortunately, perhaps by design, it is not.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
And lazy. [emoji23]
If the Brexit comment was aimed at me it was meant as self deprecating joke...

I bought an ebike because I wanted to continue riding off-road as long, and as fast, as possible. I have sciatica and scoliosis so cycling hard for long distances is a big no no. My foot starts to go numb and gradually it works it’s way up my leg. At which point, I’m basically immobile. That hasn’t happened on the ebike (so far).

I am overweight, but I’m getting out more on the ebike than I did on the analog bike and the weight is coming off slowly.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
If the Brexit comment was aimed at me it was meant as self deprecating joke...
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I just decided that I'm not going to bother with the "Brexit" post any longer, and take part in the forum for the reasons I joined; the interest, understanding, and hopefully, the promotion of e-bikes.:)

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps one of the factors affecting the use of e-bikes could be the ability to purchase a second hand car for less than half the price of an e-bike.
Although e-bike prices can be offputting, I think there are much bigger factors at play in peoples choice of a car:

1) Weather, cars warm and dry.

2) Family and friends, the ability to carry them important.

3) Transporting items, such as those trips to the recycling centre and collecting bulky items from stores.

4) Effort, cycling seen as hard work and the disappointment on learning e-bike motors don't just whisk one uphill at 20+ mph without pedalling.

5) Status and image, bicycles just don't cut it in comparison to car ownership.

6) Self-conciousness, a portly, unfit 40 plus can feel the same embarassment cycling that prevents them going to a gym.

Individually there can be even more reasons.

JulesCT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2017
Buckinghamshire
I cycle purely for practical purposes in my home town. Meet friends, grab some groceries that sort of thing. I intend to buy an ebike to extend the range somewhat.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I have ankle problems and have always been able to peddle ok sat down
and on the flat.
The Ebike turns the hills into flat.

Reactions: JulesCT

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Like your thinking about cycles in general, especially your Velomobile fancy.
Any thoughts how you would do it, Papier mache, fibreglass, or thin ply?
Finnish birch ply, a bit of spruce and a smidgen of carbon fibre. This is my current inspiration:

Foto8499.jpg

The nose bothers me, I think I will have a channel in the middle so that I can see the road and the light/air entry hole will be higher up at about motor level. The other advantage of the trough down the nose is that it improves cross wind stability and on the coast we have those winds... A quick run through the spreadsheet says that a body like that could weigh about 7.5 kg painted so an all in weight under 30 kg is on the cards.

Reactions: SHAN

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Although e-bike prices can be offputting, I think there are much bigger factors at play in peoples choice of a car:

3) Transporting items, such as those trips to the recycling centre and collecting bulky items from stores.

4) Effort, cycling seen as hard work and the disappointment on learning e-bike motors don't just whisk one uphill at 20+ mph without pedalling.

6) Self-conciousness, a portly, unfit 40 plus can feel the same embarassment cycling that prevents them going to a gym.

It is interesting reading your reply. The most unlikely cyclists that are in my family lived in Germany for over ten years, and, unbelievably to me, used bicycles for most of their daily transport, buggy's for the kids until they we old enough to pedal themselves, and trailers for shopping etc. The reason they did so was because everyone else round about used bikes, and more importantly, the cycleways were "off road" so no cars and trucks to scare anyone. On returning to the UK, the bikes were quickly given up, simply for safety reasons.

I noticed, when in Berlin, a whole multitude of weird and wonderful trailers attracted to ancient bicycles making trips to the waste centers at weekends, and a team of cyclists shifting pianos in Seattle. Self consciousness ? What's that ? Is it something that is derived from vanity ? :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Vélomobile/cargo trike:

1. check!
2. cargo trike - can do! OK one at a time unless they are small children
3. check! two bags of shopping inside the vélomobile is on the design brief and there are several Euro-palette options for cargo bikes
4. cheat mode a.k.a. a throttle is an option :rolleyes:
5. seeing how people react to the trike I can't imagine how the vélomobile would not be a status symbol. At the very least I pass for eccentric.
6. check! hidden away inside no one sees you are overweight until you get in or out :D

Like most trikes mine has accessibility accessories available so when the time comes I could design and build another body with easier access and adapted seating height etc.. That plus a little vitamin injection ;) in the power department should keep me on the road even if my pedaling power isn't what it was. The Danish designer of the Leitra is well into his eighties IIRC and still going strong thanks to electric assist.

Reactions: SHAN

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is interesting reading your reply. The most unlikely cyclists that are in my family lived in Germany for over ten years, and, unbelievably to me, used bicycles for most of their daily transport, buggy's for the kids until they we old enough to pedal themselves, and trailers for shopping etc. The reason they did so was because everyone else round about used bikes, and more importantly, the cycleways were "off road" so no cars and trucks to scare anyone. On returning to the UK, the bikes were quickly given up, simply for safety reasons.

I noticed, when in Berlin, a whole multitude of weird and wonderful trailers attracted to ancient bicycles making trips to the waste centers at weekends, and a team of cyclists shifting pianos in Seattle. Self consciousness ? What's that ? Is it something that is derived from vanity ? :)
And of course I've long done the same, as this link to my trailers page shows. For many years I did all my routine shopping by bike using these very large panniers.

But my above post illustrated the way most in Britain view the situation, and we are unlikely to convert them into being Dutch or German, as, dare I say it, the Brexit vote showed. The British prefer to be car loving pseudo Americans in true "Special Relationship" style. ;)

Advertisers