Will a 48v 20ah lifepo4 battery get too hot if enclosedin sealed box

Jimmy1234567

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2017
Hi,
I have converted a small off road motorbike from petrol to electric for my small son. It is powered by a 48v 800w hub motor in turn powered by a 48v 20ah lifepo4 battery which is an aluminium casing.
To protect the battery and controller/electrics from the wet (i.e in a wet grass field) I have enclosed eveything in a sealed plywood box that fits in where the engine used to be.
Does the battery need to be ventilated or is this ok, ideally I would like it to be sealed in.
Any advice welcome. Thanks

Attachments

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,
I have converted a small off road motorbike from petrol to electric for my small son. It is powered by a 48v 800w hub motor in turn powered by a 48v 20ah lifepo4 battery which is an aluminium casing.
To protect the battery and controller/electrics from the wet (i.e in a wet grass field) I have enclosed eveything in a sealed plywood box that fits in where the engine used to be.
Does the battery need to be ventilated or is this ok, ideally I would like it to be sealed in.
Any advice welcome. Thanks
I used to run a 48v 1200w hub motor with a 48v 15Ah battery in an enclosed bag, and even at the height of summer, didn't get noticeably hot.

I wouldn't worry too much!

Advertisers