Windows 10

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I've just installed Windows 10 on one of my PCs. It was a painless process. Afterwards, there doesn't seem to be anything too confusing. It's done a good job of keeping all my settings and my stuff organised like it was before and everything is working, including my wireless keyboard. My PC browsing is now definitely a lot quicker.

Anybody else have any experience of it?

I must be a masochist to do it now. I've just got a new smart TV and a Virgin TiVo box, which I'm still trying to find my way round. I must admit that I find these new things harder and harder to deal with. I wish I had kids to help me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I installed W10 about three and a half weeks ago and found it is a lot better than 8 or 8.1, browsing is quicker and uploading/veiwing footage from my bike cams seems easier. Still trying to fathom out the One Drive though and haven't perfected transfering data yet.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've gone Windows 10 on about 4 machines now. Roughly speaking the changes are cosmetic from Windows 7.

On one machine the wireless didn't work after the upgrade. The rollback worked fine though, so it wasn't a total disaster.

I won't touch it yet for my commercial machines. Far too risky, as any software support call will end with the supplier blaming Win 10.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't adopted Windows 10 yet., on Windows 7 since I didn't like Window 8 and I've got all the speed I could ever want due to a top end I7 processor and all solid state hard drives. I may leapfrog to W.10 sometime though, just no need prompting me at present.

I know what you mean about the additions. I got a 4K smart TV with both satellite and Freeview tuners integrated, plus a dual channel Freetime satellite recorder just over a year ago which I integrated with everything else including an existing Freeview recorder. It was a bit of a struggle coping with using it all to best advantage for a while, but now it's fine and it's become second nature

But since I start my eightieth year today, I think it will be a far bigger struggle in a few years time when it all needs changing again, should I live that long!

Reactions: tillson

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Upgraded from Windows 7 and was pleasantly surprised that it is an improvement, whilst keeping everything pretty much the same, like you mention Dave.

I was apprehensive about upgrading, due to a really bad experience with a Windows 8 based laptop, but I'm so glad I did.

As for the Virgin Tivo. It's always been a complete arse to navigate and am seriously considering swapping to Sky. Whoever designed the GUI system needs shooting, as none of it is intuitive :mad:

Oh, and it's slow too. Double :mad::mad:

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
happy birthday flecc!:)

Reactions: flecc

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've used every version of Windows and also the DOS operating systems before it, as a home and also a professional IT punter.

I soon learnt to wait a few months for the bug fix releases, or even skip a version, (like millenium and vista).

I'm most grateful to the army of unpaid volunteer Beta testers though !!

Reactions: trex and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I found out the hard way. After upgrading my PC from windows 8.1 to windows 10, my BBS01 programmer stops working. No driver for the Prolific serial to USB.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I found out the hard way. After upgrading my PC from windows 8.1 to windows 10, my BBS01 programmer stops working. No driver for the Prolific serial to USB.
I would have thought the Windows 7 or 8 driver would still work with 10, as it's only a small piece of code for communication and shouldn't really need to change.

I'm not Bill Gates though :p

Do you know anyone who has had success with using 10 and the programming software?

C

Cyclezee

I have been a Mac convert for several years now but also run Windows 7 through Parallels which allows me to run OSX and Windows at the same time on the Mac.
I need Windows to run some programs that are not supported by OSX, namely Sage accounts, a battery condition tester and Heinzmann software.
I could upgrade to an online version of Sage which I could use on the Mac, but I would still need Windows for the other two.

Recently I installed Windows 10, but it doesn't support any of the programs that I do need Windows for so at the moment it is pretty useless for my needs.

I have two iMacs, one at work and one at home, I also bought an iPad a couple of years ago for my wife, she didn't get on with it so now it is gathering dust.
Now she has a Toshiba Chromebook which is great and does everything she wants.

Much as I like Apple products, I think the iPhone is a complete waste of money.

I used to swear by Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone and had a 2 year contract with EE which was way too expensive and expired 3 months ago.

To replace the Samsung I bought a sim free Huawei H7 from Pixmania which is excellent and in my opinion it's just as good as a Samsung or iPhone but for a third of the price. Then I got an ID sim thorough Carphone Warehouse which gives all the data, calls and texts that I need for £10 a month.

Reactions: trex
C

Cyclezee

In a moment of madness a couple of years ago I bought a cheapo laptop with Windows 8 pre installed, it was so bad that I gave to my daughter.
She also hated it and gave it to charity, I guess it's either in Africa being turned into some thing useful or it's in landfill.

Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

Many many years ago in a time before the interweb or 386's or anything flash like that, a work colleague and I got seriously addicted to building PC's, constantly upgrading, tweaking and messing about with early modems so we send pointless messages to each other.

Basically it was all a complete waste of time, what possible use would ever come of all this expensive electronics when we had perfectly good landline telephones, CB radios and Royal Mail:rolleyes:.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I also strongly disliked Windows 8 when it first appeared.

I set up a couple of PCs for non-techy friends who had bought them.

I felt like a fish out of water, the interface was so different from Windows 7, and I found great difficulty getting at things under the bonnet. The free games had been knobbled too, with online adverts to slow things down. (I've since found a free third party download though, which can install the complete suite of Win 7 games on Win 8 or 10, and they've been tweaked too, so that they won't bomb out when they find they're running on 8 or 10.)

However, my own Win 7 notebook finally gave up the ghost so I bought a new one with Win 8.1 pre-installed.

I found that the .1 made a great difference, with the previous Win 7 interface now much more accessible on it, together with quite a few Win 8 improvements. I can also now access all of the underlying OS, with a much better task manager for instance.

I now prefer it to Win 7.......

(I'm still not going to try Win 10 for a few months though... just in case :rolleyes:)

Advertisers