Wouldn't It Be Great If They...

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Wouldn't it be great if they invented a light system for bikes using ultra-violet darklight bulbs which shone on the bike and rider instead of the road. They would light up anything white so it glowed in the dark.

You could ride round like a glow in dark ghost of every cyclist that was ever scared by drivers passing too close... hehe

anyone else have crackpot ideas they wished were invented?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I'll try to think of something Branwen, but did you see the lighting idea posted by flecc t'other day? I think its likely someone (here) will realise this idea sometime :D.

The UV version would work particularly well with Russ's 'Foska bones' jacket - I don't know about ghostlike, but it really would look very spooky seeing what would appear to be a skeleton riding a bike :eek: :D.

I wonder if they do matching hat/trousers too :D.

Oh, I did have one idea, not sure how easy it would be or advisable: while the airZound horn is good for getting the attention of motorists or unresponsive pedestrians, it occurred to me that a horn based on the 'mosquito' anti-social behaviour deterrent (a high pitched noise, very unpleasant & almost painful to younger ears, inaudible to most people in their 30's or older) might serve a useful purpose, in extreme circumstances...

Stuart.

Stuart.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I think you can get UV LEDs. I may try to add a couple when I put the LED lighting system on. I used to have system with red LEDs on a pair of glasses to look like eyes in the dark; maybe I should dig it out and fix it.

Nick

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
it occurred to me that a horn based on the 'mosquito' anti-social behaviour deterrent (a high pitched noise, very unpleasant & almost painful to younger ears, inaudible to most people in their 30's or older) might serve a useful purpose, in extreme circumstances...

I like the idea of a skeleton riding a bike Stuart :D

Talking of anti social behaviour, I cycled up behind some one the other day and stopped behind him at the lights, just as he leaned forward, raising his butt cheeks in the air, and let off an almighty fart. A very loud fart horn would have been most welcome at that point, as I about fainted into the gutter!

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I think you can get UV LEDs. I may try to add a couple when I put the LED lighting system on. I used to have system with red LEDs on a pair of glasses to look like eyes in the dark; maybe I should dig it out and fix it.

Nick
I've seen blue and violet coloured LEDs, but they are just coloured and dont actually give off the ultra violet light needed to make you glow in the dark. Perhaps they should make a lighting kit for bikes like they have for custom cars in America, which bathes the tarmac in a coloured glow.

Not as many nutters with wild ideas as I thought there would be. on this site... just us three huh? :confused:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Being a Residential School Caretaker can have its trials and tribulations.
We are forever plagued by BMX’ers on the site out of hours.

So ….

Wouldn't It Be Great If They ... made a stinger for BMX bikes :D

It would also need to be able to take out skateboards too :rolleyes:

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I would like bikes with those Ben Hur type spikes sticking out of them to scratch the paintwork of cars that come to close when I am having days like that Footie.... :D

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I decided today it would be great if they made an electric bike that looked like the flintstone's car, I could use the help pedalling round. It would be an eco-friendly noise-friendly way to take tours round the park in the summer. They would have to have some kind of freewheel gizmo when you engaged brakes though, nothing worse than if everyone kept pedalling when the driver wanted to stop....

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Talking of anti social behaviour, I cycled up behind some one the other day and stopped behind him at the lights, just as he leaned forward, raising his butt cheeks in the air, and let off an almighty fart. A very loud fart horn would have been most welcome at that point, as I about fainted into the gutter!
I was half seriously considering building a device to make (as well as conventional horn noises) animal noises, rasps, sirens etc...

Advertisers