Help! XF07 Hub & Brainpower S866 Issues

Sparkomatic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2023
Hi all, currently renovating a Swifty foldable ebike which came to me with a dead controller amongst other issues. I've replaced the controller with a Brainpower unit and S866 display. I've just about got it working but having a nightmare with the speedometer readout.

The speed is displayed when pedal assisting, but when coasting it reads 0. Weirdly the speed readout always works when spinning the wheel in reverse (regardless of P07, see below)?

I've set Parameter P07 to 1 which fixes the issue, but this is not how P07 should be set as it's a geared hub and I think has 10 magnets with a ratio of 4.4 so P07 should be set to 44... This means the speedometer is about accurate, but then no speed is displayed when coasting!

I don't know where to go from here.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
P07 is for the number of magnets in the speed sensor, not in the motor. External speed sensors have one magnet, and most internal ones have one magnet too, but some, mainly Bafangs, have 6.

If you set it to zero, it will use the motor hall signals to calculate the speed, but then it only works when the motor is rotating, which for a geared motor is whenever it has power or the wheel turns backwards.

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
P07 is for the number of magnets in the speed sensor, not in the motor. External speed sensors have one magnet, and most internal ones have one magnet too, but some, mainly Bafangs, have 6.

If you set it to zero, it will use the motor hall signals to calculate the speed, but then it only works when the motor is rotating, which for a geared motor is whenever it has power or the wheel turns backwards.
Ah thank you, that makes sense re the speed sensor magnets. Assuming this only has one, but I guess I can test that if can find a wiring diagram for the motor?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah thank you, that makes sense re the speed sensor magnets. Assuming this only has one, but I guess I can test that if can find a wiring diagram for the motor?
You know whether it's right when you set P07 to 1 and get the correct speed on the LCD. If you have 6 magnets, the speed would read 6 times as much and your motor would cut out at 2.5 mph instead of 15 mph

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
You know whether it's right when you set P07 to 1 and get the correct speed on the LCD. If you have 6 magnets, the speed would read 6 times as much and your motor would cut out at 2.5 mph instead of 15 mph
Ah I realise I've explained poorly! When set to 1, the speedometer does read when coasting but it shows far too fast. Setting P07 to 2, 3 or 4 doesn't seem to make any difference to that inaccuracy, but I do still get a readout when coasting. Setting to 5+ I get no reading when coasting

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah I realise I've explained poorly! When set to 1, the speedometer does read when coasting but it shows far too fast. Setting P07 to 2, 3 or 4 doesn't seem to make any difference to that inaccuracy, but I do still get a readout when coasting. Setting to 5+ I get no reading when coasting
If you don't have a speed sensor in your motor, the controller will default to using the motor hall signals, but then you only get speed displayed when the motor is turning with power.

Have you got a speed sensor on the motor? If not, you have to get a wheel magnet type. In the case of a two wire one, join the two wires to the white and the red. If it doesn't display speed like that, fit to white and black. Different controllers do it different ways round. In the case of a three wire speed sensor, red to red, black to black and the remaining wire to white.

Sometimes, those controllers have a separate connector for the speed sensor, which nearly always has red, white and black wires, otherwise you have to splice in to the motor connector or its wires.

Reactions: Sparkomatic

Sparkomatic

Oct 14, 2023
If you don't have a speed sensor in your motor, the controller will default to using the motor hall signals, but then you only get speed displayed when the motor is turning with power.

Have you got a speed sensor on the motor? If not, you have to get a wheel magnet type. In the case of a two wire one, join the two wires to the white and the red. If it doesn't display speed like that, fit to white and black. Different controllers do it different ways round. In the case of a three wire speed sensor, red to red, black to black and the remaining wire to white.

Sometimes, those controllers have a separate connector for the speed sensor, which nearly always has red, white and black wires, otherwise you have to splice in to the motor connector or its wires.
Many thanks, really appreciate the info. I think the motor has a built in speed sensor? So as well as the three phase cables, there are 6 other cables coming from the motor... hall sensors- yellow, green & blue, and as you've mentioned, red, black and white. This tallies up with the Brainpower controller and is how I've connected it up, colour to colour. I'll have another look at the motor when I get chance

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Many thanks, really appreciate the info. I think the motor has a built in speed sensor? So as well as the three phase cables, there are 6 other cables coming from the motor... hall sensors- yellow, green & blue, and as you've mentioned, red, black and white. This tallies up with the Brainpower controller and is how I've connected it up, colour to colour. I'll have another look at the motor when I get chance
You can confirm the presence of the speed sensor, its correct functioning and how many magnets it has with a volmeter/ With the bike switched on and everything connected, measure the voltage between the white and ground while you rotate the wheel backwards. The number of pulses per revolution id the number of magnets. If there are no pulses, either there is no sensor or it's not working.

Reactions: Sparkomatic

Advertisers