Help! Yamaha battery X60-EO replacement

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London
8yr old battery on Gepida bike. Worked OK. Unused for 1yr. Recharged inadvertently left for 1 week in charger. Showing only 1.6V. Charger says charged but still only reached 1.6v. Internal fuse ok.
Any suggestions please?
Any source for cheaper replacement than Gepida quote of €545?
Hugh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tho they might not ship to the uk but if the batt uses can bus comms then you are screwed as you cant recell the packs

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London

tho they might not ship to the uk but if the batt uses can bus comms then you are screwed as you cant recell the packs
Thanks for your advice & the link.
They say can apparently replace cells & electronics but insist on new charger as well - total cost €405 plus post by me.
I think I need to find someone in UK with cells & spot welder.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Torque-E-Cycles
139 Bibbacombe Rd
Torquay
01803 325945

it is worth a shot as they can do the bosch batts

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London
Sent photos to electric bike world who will replace cells (& electronics?) inc pp for £440 which works out about the same for BikeBat in Netherlands (sound waves suggestion) total cost.
Assuming electronics are OK then replacing cells should be say £30 batteries, £70 new spot welder, £10 metal strips, Labour 3hrs - £100, courier £40 = £250 +£50 Overhead & Profit. Must be able to get it done for <£300??
Altho here's what one company kindly advised
"The BMS in these kinds of batteries is often booby-trapped to render itself permanently unusable under a set of pre-programmed, arbitrary conditions ie. Leaving the battery uncharged for x amount of time and/or detaching the BMS from the welded pack of cells. Best sell bike without battery & convert a new conventional bike with kit & top class battery easily replaced when necessary"

Interesting approach especially as I'm not really liking the Gepida.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the bms is can bus which i think it is then you will need to use the same bms and the charger you have because if you recell the pack with a normal non smart bms when you put it on the bike it wont turn on because the bms wont talk to the motors controller.

you can get a volt meter on my bosch pack and it will show nothing voltage wise as it wont turn on unless it gets an can bus hand shake from the controller.

this is all done on purpose to force you to buy there batts but give scott a call as he is your best bet with these batts but it wont be cheap but might be able to make the pack with more capacity/ better cells.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
According to this, you can use any 24v battery you want, which would cost less than £200. Just connect the battery to the two power wires to the motor. The third wire is used to show battery info on the display, so you won't get that. Instead, these guys use a separate battery display meter. You don't need to do what they do, just fit any voltmeter or the one below. I'd test it with any 24v source first to see if works before buying a battery. You'll need a new charger to charge the new battery, but batteries normally come with one anyway. A 24v charger would be a good source to test your bike with on a stand, but not by riding it:

Reactions: soundwave

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London
if the bms is can bus which i think it is then you will need to use the same bms and the charger you have because if you recell the pack with a normal non smart bms when you put it on the bike it wont turn on because the bms wont talk to the motors controller.

you can get a volt meter on my bosch pack and it will show nothing voltage wise as it wont turn on unless it gets an can bus hand shake from the controller.

this is all done on purpose to force you to buy there batts but give scott a call as he is your best bet with these batts but it wont be cheap but might be able to make the pack with more capacity/ better cells.
You mentioned Scott. Which company/tel no was he from?

hugh burden

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2013
West London

I wonder how I could establish whether the electric motor rating would accommodate an increased voltage/amperage. I'd be a bit concerned if I upped to 36v from 24v then smelt the motor burning out. Have you witnessed this type of upgrade?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Torque-E-Cycles
139 Bibbacombe Rd
Torquay
01803 325945

i dont mean more voltage but better cells with more capacity so same size pack with more range

Advertisers