YAMAHA EASY.. Old pedelec ebike but the 24v mid drive unit has potential

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Beach, The world would be a better place if more people adopted your philosophy.

Glad you returned to the Forum. I enjoyed your posts from 3 years ago and your stylish writing is a nice antidote to the Brexit thread :)

Have a nice Christmas.

Beach Thorncombe

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
United Kingdom
laptop pile.jpg
This wouldn't be allowed on Planet Generica!

I harvested these 40+ laptops for 18650 cells, (for ebike battery projects), but nearly every battery module on every laptop had its own, unique, idiosyncratic battery interface ... meaning none of the packs, while quite servicable in their own right, would be interchangable with another laptop.

Yes. Sure. I appreciate the concept of improving and innovating (and stylishly redesigning), our technology but wouldn't it have been wonderful if each battery module, (however refined), had some basic, generic 'legacy chip' integrated within... or some 'standard' socket arrangement ... or some common size specification ... so that, at least, a certain genre of laptop might share common 'interchangebility' features with others of its kind?

We don't need to discuss the reasons for such changes in design or spec. (We know already) BUT, goodness, wouldn't it be brilliant if there was some second life thought put into such, otherwise, throwaway machines ... especially on the energy / power side.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Beach Thorncombe

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi Beach, The world would be a better place if more people adopted your philosophy.

Glad you returned to the Forum. I enjoyed your posts from 3 years ago and your stylish writing is a nice antidote to the Brexit thread :)

Have a nice Christmas.
Good to see you, Kenny. :)

I think, perhaps, I am an aquired taste ...

I visit, (or return to), different forums on the net like Captain Kirk discovering some new planet or life form ... and like to park my starship in orbit a while ... and beam down to interact with whatever species I might discover.

Ha ha :)

Thank you for your lovely comments, Kenny.

Very much appreciated!!! :)

Beach Thorncombe

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
United Kingdom
The, now fully functioning, Yamaha Easy is an utter revelation to me.

Unlike every other bike I have owned, (Epowered or not), the machine has the character of some thouroughbred steed that just knows what its owner wishes to do ... delivering its, aforementioned, subtlety of operation without fuss, effort or fanfare.

By comparison, "The Boys", my brace of lithium dieted Powerbike Euro's, (while still worshipped and adored by me), seem like boisterous, impatient teenagers by comparison.

Their own characteristics being manifest mainly because I have removed their original, dated, metal mudguards, provided them with 2.3" Schwalbe Big Apple tyres and enhanced their, already fierce, growling motors with accompanying 'press and go' controllers and thumb throttles.

(One, the blue one, is a true 'off roader' with a minimalistic, cut down, demeanor while the other, my most loyal of machines, is a brooding black poser with every mod con attached ... and the machine that gets the most looks and an occasional, "Look at that, Dad ... WOW!"

However. There is now a murmouring in the ranks and my, newly finished and highly modded, lightweight Xbike 'beachbike' is possibly wondering if he is about to be demoted one notch in the hierarchy. (He isn't ... but I gave him a good oiling and an extra long recharge just to let him know I'd be readying him for a Boxing Day jaunt along the beach presently).

"Aunty", a rather staid, unmodified and panniered Powerbike Euro I use for domestic / shopping duties did make a barbed and cutting comment about the Yamaha being "Easy" but I've reassured her that her trips to Morrisons were not under threat.

The Easy, with her sophisticated and intellectual pedigree will, as I have outined already, form an important part of my creative output, helping with photographic and historical reference gathering both along the coast road and inland at Anglo-Romano and medieval locations within a 10 mile radius of home.

One last thing I must add.

I had a very unsettling Spring and Summer this year ... with some health issues that, entirely, overpowered and distracted my, normally, euphoric love for life.

After a black few months, it was the purchasing of "The Boys" and "Aunty", (All spare or repair ads on Gumtree), that "got my Mojo back".

Each had been forlorn, unwanted or neglected machines but, in their repairing, rebuilding and re-imagining, I actually rediscovered a "self" that had been, up until that point, beaten and battered by the aforementioned health scare.

All is well now ... as long as I behave myself ... but I have those three ebikes to thank for my return to good health.

The Yamaha Easy?

Well, as you know from reading all this.

It appeared out of the blue ... and at a local auction too!

A £35 'curveball', as I related in the first sentence of the first post on this thread.

Absolute stroke of luck! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny and flecc

Torsten

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Hello, it’s been years but I am at a similar point with my Yamaha Easy. I have replaced the battery with Lipo pack. I have the blinking LEDs but the resistor makes no difference. What is the „normal“ state for the LEDs? Any help would amazing- best Torsten

Dardar

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2022
Hello,
The 1k resistor is connected to the black wire or the red wire?
Thanks

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hello,
The 1k resistor is connected to the black wire or the red wire?
Thanks
If you post your actual question here, you will get help. But just putting a link for people to click is not the way to do it. Commonsense in this internet age says don't ever click links like that, which is probably why noone has answered you yet.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Advertisers