Yorkshire Puddings

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Naw,naw, naw ! Neh flecc, neh, thas' niver mek reet good Yorkshire's wit tatty flour ,what's tha' thinking off!
Well you never know with a Yorkshireman. I cast my mind back to army days when a group of us were out in Andover, several on a midday drinking session. One Yorkshireman who was in married quarters and very much under the thumb of his wife ended up with too much to drink and hours overdue back home. In response to him worrying someone suggested taking her flowers, so he drunkenly staggered off to the market while we waited at the bus stop.

He returned shortly clutching the only flower he could find on sale.

A cauliflower.

I would so love to have been present when he gave it to his wife!

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Well you never know with a Yorkshireman. I cast my mind back to army days when a group of us were out in Andover, several on a midday drinking session. One Yorkshireman who was in married quarters and very much under the thumb of his wife ended up with too much to drink and hours overdue back home. In response to him worrying someone suggested taking her flowers, so he drunkenly staggered off to the market while we waited at the bus stop.

He returned shortly clutching the only flower he could find on sale.

A cauliflower.

I would so love to have been present when he gave it to his wife!
It turns out that you could make batter pudds with potatoe flour, but you need a whole host of other ingredients, using rice flour for the bulk of the mix, the potato flour is used to thicken the mix, used on its own they would not rise, I found a recipe for gluten free batter pudds.

But I stand by what I wrote, you can't make Yorkshire's with tatty flour!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It turns out that you could make batter pudds with potatoe flour, but you need a whole host of other ingredients, using rice flour for the bulk of the mix, the potato flour is used to thicken the mix, used on its own they would not rise, I found a recipe for gluten free batter pudds.

But I stand by what I wrote, you can't make Yorkshire's with tatty flour!
I agree, potato flour, though not as heavy as sweet chestnut flour, is too heavy on its own for any recipe that requires good rising characteristics.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I agree, potato flour, though not as heavy as sweet chestnut flour, is too heavy on its own for any recipe that requires good rising characteristics.
Here we're making a good go at catching up with the Brexit thread,will go pass a thousand?
Dare we cross posts with the bores?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Here we're making a good go at catching up with the Brexit thread,will go pass a thousand?
Dare we cross posts with the bores?
And you think this isn't boring?

• :D

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
This isn't boring and we haven't go to fu fu flour yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And you think this isn't boring?
OK. Let me add some excitement to keep viewers glued to the thread :):

It's the fat content of flour that makes for heavyness in the context of light baking. For example:

Potato

Carbohydrate 25%
Protein 10%
Fat 5%

Sweet Chestnut

Carbohydrate 25%
Protein 5%
Fat 10%

One can see that though both are very similar as food, the change in the ratio of fat to protein content makes sweet chestnut flour the heavier of the two.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
OK. Let me add some excitement to keep viewers glued to the thread :):

It's the fat content of flour that makes for heavyness in the context of light baking. For example:

Potato

Carbohydrate 25%
Protein 10%
Fat 5%

Sweet Chestnut

Carbohydrate 25%
Protein 5%
Fat 10%

One can see that though both are very similar as food, the change in the ratio of fat to protein content makes sweet chestnut flour the heavier of the two.
Ohhhhh! Bringing science into it now, domestic science, or is it home economics?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
fufu flour is
83% carbohydrate
2% protean
And only 0.1% fat
Its also high in potassium.
So a very good low fat food.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Croxden , don't like a good batter then? Just a bit of fun innit! Mind you you are following this thread, so you must like it
I can't eat Yorkshire puddings, they disagree with me.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Have decided after a pub lunch,( roast beef and trimmings, naturally )to wonder about the practice of using beer in Yorkshire pudds, Beer or Lager is often used in fish or Tempura batters ,the gases in beer provide a lighter crisper coating,could the same be proved for Yorkshire's?
But I like the denser texture of Yorkshire's pud.

• Agree

Advertisers