your gainful employment ?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I so love that these children are willing to get off their backside and do something productive with their lives. Hopefully it is by their free will and not being pushed by parents.

Sorry to go off topic. :)
Usually parents are less pushy at cycling events than other sports. G certainly enjoys winning, understandably she doesn't like getting wet and muddy. Even I end up getting a bit muddy.

I have a good job really, next round this Saturday, forecast is better this week, although it was supposed to have been dry last week.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
agree'd tillson .... so much so that yesterday i snapped.

cant put too much on a public forum but my company phone now looks like talky toaster and HR know where i stand on the matters. (but i did not quit)

Then i phoned the wife and explained what i did and she supports me 100%

This thread made me realise a few things - 1. Im not living in a dream world where life out side of a well paying job cannot exist (mainly because i didnt subscribe to the consumer credit lifestyle and 2. there are things in the world need doing by people who dont just follow orders blindly and are capible of free thought and innovation.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
@Artstu the following Youtube clip might well be of interest to you. It is the ten year old son of one of my mates, filmed a couple of weeks ago.

I might well be biased, but he certainly seems to have some talent for downhill riding. :)
Yes he certainly looks good, good to start young too, I imagine I'd end up like his Dad on the floor if I tried to keep.

I guess my friends two children don't ride MTB because I'm not keen, having said that I wasn't keen on them doing cyclocross either, but currently that's what they enjoy most and are no doubt looking forward to the upcoming winter cross season which will here very soon.

A lad in one of their clubs does BMX and downhill MTB and has some serious skills, Grace however still beats him at cross and they're the same age.

edit, ah I need to watch the right clip now, wow that's a steep and scary looking bank

Reactions: EddiePJ

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Their Mum and another cycling friend started an after school bike club a couple of years ago, even though they're a small school they've now got two back to back victories in the Derbyshire schools county sports finals, this year in the Italian pursuit the primary team actually posted a faster time than all the secondary school teams. Now her son has moved to secondary school they also won the cycling final.
Buxworth school got to the county finals again this year and came away with Gold again, Grace has been on the team for all of the 4 years they've been to the county finals. Last year they came 2nd mainly due to not running the Italian pursuit in a rescheduled final. Still 3 Golds and a silver is impressive for a primary/junior school with only 80 or so pupils.

Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No fear! I think the fear of gravel rash got to me at about age 12... Tyres must have been a lot better back then because we did some stupid stuff on bikes on the farm on the only bikes we had: Raleigh 24" "all purpose", mudguards dynamo, chain guard, the works. Opposite the house there was a hill that must have been in the high 30's%... Of course the only brake that worked was the rear backpedal one... :eek: Kids these days have it easy: knobby tyres, suspension, disk brakes... :D

Advertisers