‘Dongle’

Doogle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2018
Cumbria
I’ve come across the word ‘Dongle’ on here a few times, exactly what is it, what does it do or used for?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I’ve come across the word ‘Dongle’ on here a few times, exactly what is it, what does it do or used for?
A device of various types
Deristricting bikes legal cut off speed
And rendering your bike useless in the eyes of the law :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
is it about time that posts promoting dongles and high power kits be banned from this forum?

• Offensive Language
Reactions: soundwave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I received an 'offensive language' from SW...
just for the record, I have no problem accepting that riding a derestricted bike is a personal choice but promoting dongles and derestriction is not good for the forum.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
90% off the ppl on this forum have bikes that can go faster than 15mph.

one of the biggest uk dealers sell and fit dongles and honers the warranty.

and the police dont care as no member has ever had a bike taken off them.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
is it about time that posts promoting dongles and high power kits be banned from this forum?
I received an 'offensive language' from SW...
just for the record, I have no problem accepting that riding a derestricted bike is a personal choice but promoting dongles and derestriction is not good for the forum.
Who was promoting dongles and derestriction in this thread ?
As far as I was concerned the original poster was asking a question too which he got an answer

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
90% off the ppl on this forum have bikes that can go faster than 15mph.

one of the biggest uk dealers sell and fit dongles and honers the warranty.
To be fair thou that doesn’t make it right that he fits them and apart from that he is a knob as well lol

As for 90% using them have you run a poll ?
If not it would show the actual usage

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont need to run a poll as near every kit you can buy you are able to change the power and speed settings.

a dongle only removes the speed limit so its not like a kit where you can set the amps way higher and go much faster.

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
dont need to run a poll as near every kit you can buy you are able to change the power and speed settings.
You telling me that 90% of people on here have kits only and only 10% buy factory bikes

Don’t think so some how

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no you can buy a compleate bike with a kit on it but it dont change the fact you can still change the settings.

not many bikes have been made where you cant change the settings and remove the speed limits ect.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Your still telling me 90% of people on here are running illegal bikes

I’m now curious
So a Poll has been started

:)

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no what i am saying is if you have a bike with a 250w motor and 15mph limit and use it like this technically is within the law but if you are also able to alter the settings that is classed as a of road switch/mode so illegal even tho you keep it at 15mph 250w.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem is that this is an international site with American, German, Danish and Dutch members and within it is a forum titled:

Speed Pedelecs (S-Pedelecs), Non-EAPCs & overseas

Mentions of dongles, higher speeds and powers are ok in there. But they seep into the main electric bike forum, especially in queries from newcomers not familiar with the site.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't an Admin move such threads to the appropriate sub-forum??
I think a major problem is the way threads often turn into derestriction etc part way through for various reasons. Our lightly staffed Admin woud have to read every post but would still face the problem of a thread not originally a high speed one. To move or not to move.

Advertisers