Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
i see Corbyn the Clown has sent a letter to all his MP's telling them not to talk to the Gov unless she takes no deal off the table. So he wants to remove the only bargaining chip we have. I can just see Juncker and co rubbing their hands in glee. In the words of Delboy ' What a plonker'
Right. The thing the EU are MOST scared about - he wants to publicly take that off the table. The man HAS NO CLUE. Really. He is an utter idiot.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I had never listened to Gove speak prior to watching that link, so thanks for posting.

You can't deny that he is an excellent communicator and he tore Corbyn to apart. When the camera panned across the Labour benches, I thought, "What the hell has happened to Labour? The party membership has been obliterated and replaced characters suited only to cleaning toilets." That Labour woman who was wailing like a banshee needs to learn some basic manners and conduct before she is allowed out in public. What a disgrace.

I view Gove in a new light. A very impressive orator cable of conducting himself with dignity.

Thanks for posting.
Me too. I'd never seen the man so animated. Sure as OG said there was plenty of rabble-raising about it - but it had substance too. Impressed.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Gove made a remark in his recent speech which makes you wonder where his, and other's true loyalties lie, proudly stating that he and someone he mentioned in the opposition were members of "Friends of Israel"
How can this be? he is an MP who's entire loyalty should be to this country alone not carrying a torch for another state, no matter what it's politics.
The question becomes how many of them belong to "Friends of Russia" too? or "China?"
We have seen myriads of secret little societies these MP's of all parties share their loyalty with.
Time we established Sovereignty over our Mps and took back control.
And I am not joking.
Whether you voted leave or remain makes no difference
parliament is representing the people only when it suits, it is someone elses property.
I liked him standing up for Israel. The only democracy in the middle-east it deserves some support instead of continually being blamed for the whole mess that exists down there.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
there are only 50 of them as you said, but their view is supported by more than 60% of conservative membership, that's what worries TM, DC and any future conservative party leader(s).
leaving the EU does not harm the very many small businesses, more than a million of them, their owners form the backbone of conservative membership.
I, myself, stand to benefit financially from the UK leaving the EU but I know leaving comes with a cost for the country.
You think it comes at a cost for the country.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I think a lot would. I, d vote remain definitely if I thought we were heading no deal. Fingers would vote remain if he thought it would be May's. So extrapolate that sample from here and it would swing to remain by a massive margin.
Besides, we, d never know which wouldnt help the rift..

There is only one question that makes sense in the next referendum whilst respecting the result of the last one.

Do you want to join the Euro.

Yes

No.

That will be it. It covers every base.

Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Good to be reminded of this forecast. So much has been discussed and shouted about, it is far too easy to forget or miss many of them.

On Saturday the UK turns remain. Parliament must force a second referendum

Polly Toynbee

May needs to ditch her intransigent red lines as a population shift means young remainers have replaced older leave voters

You could call it swing Saturday or crossover day, for this Saturday, 19 January, marks an important moment. This is the day, in theory, when the country turns remain. Even if not a single person has changed their mind since the referendum, the demographic shift alone will have done the heavy lifting. Enough old leavers will have died and enough young remainers will have come on to the electoral register to turn the dial on what the country thinks about Brexit.

The psephologist and founding YouGov president, Peter Kellner, calculates that the leave vote has been declining by about 1,350 a day, taking into account the differential turnout: the young turn out to vote much less often than the old. By using exactly the same proportion of every age group turning out to vote exactly as they did in 2016, demographics alone will have transformed the UK into a remainer nation.

The true “will of the people” looks considerably more questionable if it turns out to be the will of dead people – not the will of those who have the most life ahead of them to face the consequences. Does this guarantee remain would win a referendum this year? Of course not. People are changing their minds, though polls show predominant movement in the pro-remain direction. But once a ferocious campaign gets under way there’s no knowing what might swing opinion. No one expected the leavers’ two toxic lies to spring out of the wicked imagination of the likes of Dominic Cummings and Michael Gove – £350m a week extra for the NHS and 70 million Turks destined for our shores.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/saturday-uk-remain-parliament-force-second-referendum

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Gove made a remark in his recent speech which makes you wonder where his, and other's true loyalties lie, proudly stating that he and someone he mentioned in the opposition were members of "Friends of Israel"
How can this be? he is an MP who's entire loyalty should be to this country alone not carrying a torch for another state, no matter what it's politics.
The question becomes how many of them belong to "Friends of Russia" too? or "China?"
We have seen myriads of secret little societies these MP's of all parties share their loyalty with.
Time we established Sovereignty over our Mps and took back control.
And I am not joking.
Whether you voted leave or remain makes no difference
parliament is representing the people only when it suits, it is someone elses property.
Also, remember this little Gove preference:

Michael Gove admits leave campaign wrong to fuel Turkey fears
Brexiter says he would have preferred campaign to have had ‘slightly different feel’

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Good to be reminded of this forecast. So much has been discussed and shouted about, it is far too easy to forget or miss many of them.

On Saturday the UK turns remain. Parliament must force a second referendum

Polly Toynbee

May needs to ditch her intransigent red lines as a population shift means young remainers have replaced older leave voters

You could call it swing Saturday or crossover day, for this Saturday, 19 January, marks an important moment. This is the day, in theory, when the country turns remain. Even if not a single person has changed their mind since the referendum, the demographic shift alone will have done the heavy lifting. Enough old leavers will have died and enough young remainers will have come on to the electoral register to turn the dial on what the country thinks about Brexit.

The psephologist and founding YouGov president, Peter Kellner, calculates that the leave vote has been declining by about 1,350 a day, taking into account the differential turnout: the young turn out to vote much less often than the old. By using exactly the same proportion of every age group turning out to vote exactly as they did in 2016, demographics alone will have transformed the UK into a remainer nation.

The true “will of the people” looks considerably more questionable if it turns out to be the will of dead people – not the will of those who have the most life ahead of them to face the consequences. Does this guarantee remain would win a referendum this year? Of course not. People are changing their minds, though polls show predominant movement in the pro-remain direction. But once a ferocious campaign gets under way there’s no knowing what might swing opinion. No one expected the leavers’ two toxic lies to spring out of the wicked imagination of the likes of Dominic Cummings and Michael Gove – £350m a week extra for the NHS and 70 million Turks destined for our shores.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/saturday-uk-remain-parliament-force-second-referendum

I remember world war 3 too.

A run on the pound. Millions more in unemployment.

An emergency budget. The world collapsing etc.

Except none of it happened.

Lies and project fear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Remain would win in another referendum but the turnout would be far less than last time
making it a very hollow victory.
The margin is more important than the turnout and I think the margin for Remain would be much larger than for Leave last time.

So being more decisive and taken with the benefit of far more knowledge now, I see no problem.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You think it comes at a cost for the country.
James, one Pound bought $1.40, 1.27 Euros the month before the referendum, it now buys $1.28 or 1.13 Euros. I know how much brexit has cost me.
The resulting inflation from the referendum added 6% to inflation.
It's not rocket science.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
James, one Pound bought $1.40, 1.27 Euros the month before the referendum, it now buys $1.28 or 1.13 Euros. I know how much brexit has cost me.
It's not rocket science.
Woosh one Pound bought 1.1131 Euros June 2011 - it now buys 1.13 Euros.

Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with that - had it?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's not rocket science.
And you know full well it works other way if you are selling stuff.. Besides pound has been over valued for a goid few years. Look at costs abroad. Diesel, petrol, food etc is more or less same cost now. For years stuff (especially fuel) has bern cheaper for brits abroad than at home. Thats never made sense. Its around parity now..
And the devaluation was not a direct result of Brexit (it still hasnt happened)

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The SNP have emphatically said they will not agree to any variation on May's offer unless No Deal is off the table.

The majority of MPs will not accept No Deal under any circumstances.

But who gets the savage criticism and insults in here for also saying No Deal must be off the table?

Jeremy Corbyn, none of the others.

That's bigotry and prejudice from those who would rather repeat media bias than think for themselves and make fair judgements.

Meanwhile, the lying, treacherous, back-stabbing Gove gets praise in here on the basis of an isolated speech!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
The SNP have emphatically said they will not agree to any variation on May's offer unless No Deal is off the table.

The majority of MPs will not accept No Deal under any circumstances.

But who gets the savage criticism and insults in here for also saying No Deal must be off the table?

Jeremy Corbyn, none of the others.

That's bigotry and prejudice from those who would rather repeat media bias than think for themselves and make fair judgements.

Meanwhile, the lying, treacherous, back-stabbing Gove gets praise in here on the basis of an isolated speech!
at least the others are talking. I personally think Corbyn wants no deal which is why he is being so evasive. He's hoping there will be chaos and he can get his bunch of loonies into power on the back of that

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh one Pound bought 1.1131 Euros June 2011 - it now buys 1.13 Euros.

Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with that - had it?
I see something I did not anticipate.
I see the economy improving slowly since the crash of 2008 then the brexit vote. The drop is over night and the new value of the GBP remained at lower value since on any FX chart.

You see what you want to see.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And the devaluation was not a direct result of Brexit (it still hasnt happened)
I have to pay suppliers every week. How often you have to buy USD?
Everyone knows that running an ordinary business is very different from running a share portfolio. What businesses need most is stability because you need to plan ahead: income, outgoing, taxes, investment, rate of return, sales, marketing, staff wages, product range, demand, supply, competition. I am not alone in wanting stability and predictability. I need a success probability in excess of 80% for any project. I put projects on hold ever since brexit. Capital sitting in the bank waiting for stability to return depreciates while we don't even know which way brexit will go.

Last edited:

Advertisers