£20 THING!, Upgrades. Battery, Bulbs, Locks etc..

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
Totally random guess on what you've got and the numbers on the label, it's 36v, 22amp? The number on the bottom right appears to be the company phone number! Just wondering if you have a smartphone and can read the barcode. That might tell you more?

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
The damaged bit of label was... ZKC3613KV-XY2

So unsure about the 22KV being the amps. Maybe the max with 13 being the continuous?

Tried the barcode and it just comes up with that code number, No links and nothing found on a search.

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
I understand your thinking about the 13/22 numbers but I think 13 would be too low for your 'thing'. Most common ebike controllers are rated at about 15amps today and are hardly very powerful and for yours I would have thought it needed more, hence the 22. One of the dealers on here said that you'd need a much bigger than usual motor for a scooter to make it go, hence bigger amps. With SLAs you're limited to what they can provide. I've had a little wander about for Wuxi controllers but the best I could find is the company website with their products: http://exufeng.en.made-in-china.com/

Started in August 2003 and now with a turnover of 100m USD! That's going some!

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Still not managed to find a picture or ID it. But I think its 2003 on the panels and 2004 on the controller.

So around 10 years old.

$100m turnover is good, But i wonder if they make $1 profit :).

Always curious as to how they can make something and post it to the UK for £1.

I bought something from China a while back that was £5 delivered. It would have cost me over £10 to send it back.
How did they make it and post it for so little?

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
"How did they make it and post it for so little?"

I've wondered that too and decided they bang so many things out that they have the economies of scale (there are over a billion people there and the rest of the world seems to want their products) and they don't pay themselves so much. I think we'd want a lot more. Regarding the post, I have no idea how these things work but I assume that the world's postal systems operate a tit for tat arrangement, billing each other might become far to bureaucratic so it's swings and roundabouts? If so, their postal system might well be a lot cheaper than ours, especially as I've just bought a book of 6 first class stamps for £3.70 (ish) and nearly fell over I couldn't take in the price. Roll on Christmas and then I'll faint.

Shemozzle might have found the controller, or the latest version of it anyway?

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Thanks guys. It doesnt look like that, More plastic but the code helps a lot.

3615 is 36 volt and 15 amp over current protection. So is that the max peak 15 amps?
Mine says 3613 (13 amps)? So mine will have a short burst peak of 468 watts?
But the continuous will be much less i expect.

Not touched it today. Its in the shed which is cold so i thought give it more time to set. Will test it tomorrow.

Had another issue with the magnets. When attaching to the centre hub. Every magnet stuck to the next one. But when on the table some attracted and some repelled.

I put them on alternate, I do hope that was right???

thanks.

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
OK... Back to amuse you all further...

Cleaned all the excess glue and make sure everything was nice and clean.

Inserted the hub as carefully as i could, Refitted the cover with half the screws to test it.

OK are you sitting down and not eating/drinking???

Plugged the battery lead in and nothing.... Twist the throttle, pedal nothing.

Checked the wiring all seems OK. Try again. Nothing.

Connect battery directly to the motor. It works.. Damn did i blow the controller when the magnets let go?

Anyone want to guess?

Well someone may have forgotten to flick the red switch on the handlebars :)

It works... I can start assembling it again now...

Last edited:

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Nearly..... Nearly.... Not quite there yet.

Not been well so had to take it easy for a while. The seat had a pin that was half the size of the hole it went through so it wobbled like mad.
I made a new pin thats a much better fit. Took me most of a day though.

Probably another day to make the lock for the seat. Not helped by the fact some of the plastic that supports the lock is missing.

I think i bought a lock thats too long also. oops. Im sure i will make something that works.

Might be running by the weekend....

Converting the lights to 12v LEDs. The tail/stop lamps are OK. I got a nice bright headlight bulb. But the indicator bulbs are rubbish.

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
Would you put a picture up when you're happy with it? I hope it goes OK but I'm not expecting to hear it's super fast. Moving and up inclines would be great I think. To the shops or whatever (being useful) would also be good.

Best of luck. It's like waiting for the comet landing!

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
On the home stretch...

A bonus of the LED's for tail light and headlight. Even when the power is off and pedalling slowly by hand there is plenty of power for the LEDs. Full brightness even by hand.

Most of the panels are back on. I had to remove a couple to get the wiring through.. Typical..

Not found any decent 12v LED indicator bulbs yet though. The ones i have are rubbish. Very directional and not that bright. Which is a pain because the identical red ones are good.

Been playing today with this....

what1.jpg

Attachments

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Not quite, I think its heavy enough :)

It houses my 2 x 5s, 4000mAh Zippy Li=Po's.

Until i know the range and how it runs on the old SLA's i plan
to have this as my backup get me home pack. Then swapping
to this pack and adding more lipo's after. I have loads of these
CD drives laying around from upgrading other peoples computers
over the years.
This ones a Toshiba and well made, Its got a plastic cage inside
so the batteries are well protected.

2 batteries with padding fits nice. There was room to put the wiring
inside, But i need access to the leads for each battery for charging.
My charger wont do a 10s pack. (6s max).

I can easily stack these up with a little bracket also. I can fit loads
under the seat when the SLAs get removed.

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Any idea on fitting the battery monitor? I have some of those digital
ones that display the total voltage and the voltage for each cell.

I think leaving them one will be risky, Draining the battery and maybe even burn out?

Ideally i want it on a simple switch to turn them on/off. Are they a common earth?

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
Not quite sure what you're asking here. If the voltage indicator is the sort I imagine, simple LED constant on type, then I would think a simple inline switch would be easiest. I'd definitely want to turn it off. The current used is small but still can be significant if left on for days at a time. A single pole switch should be fine I would have thought, although a double pole would be belt and braces. I'd interrupt the positive wire. If you're feeling clever you could tap into the key switch and run it off the live side with negative going into the return which will be constantly connected?

Like the dvd cases. Nice and neat solution with less danger of the batteries getting knocked and damaged.

Still waiting for the landing!

OldFart

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2014
Middle bit of the UK.
Had it running tonight, Too dark for pictures, But my little one went around the block on it. She said it does slow on the hills and she had to pedal.

It seems to pickup fairly slowly. Both with the lipos and SLA's. But seems to get upto a decent speed. Maybe not 15mph though?

I will have to try a GPS on my phone (android) any suggestions?

The fibrax brakes i bought are rubbish... Going to use them to clean the wheel up then swap to the clarks? ones which seem much softer.

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
I learn something new every day. I didn't know that those battery monitors were available. Looks like a common earth just like the wiring on the bike providing one positive is connected to at least one cell. I'll bear it in mind for future reference.

Good to hear it's working. Slow pick up would be down to the weight and 13 amps. It's all very positive though, I think you've done very well and it was a good project. Must be very satisfying to make it all come together.

Advertisers