1st Conversion

Camber3673

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2019
Hi all. Just registered and thought I'd just put out there what I've done and looking to do in the future. I know allot of you out the are many stages ahead of myself so picking your brains for useful advice and information to keep my next project on track. I've converted my specialized camber elite to run with 1000w rear hub motor and powered with 48v 21ah ion lithium battery. I've changed nothing on the original bike so could be stripped and made back to standard. I didn't want the bike to look like it just had the conversion strapped to it anyway possible so I've incorporated it into the frame the best I could...... more than happy to answer any question about the conversion but also looking for advice on a more powerful hub motor that will still fit a 135mm drop out..... I'm looking at the Mxus 3kw with 96v supply, bms, controller etc.... so really appreciate constructive advice for my second conversion.... cheers

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your gearing looks a bit low. Do you know about DNP freewheels?

What sort of torque arm did you use? I can't see any in the photos.

We don't do many high power builds on this forum. You'd be better looking on Endless-sphere for 3kw MXUS builds. There are loads there.

Last edited:

Camber3673

Jun 6, 2019
Hi vfr400... thanks for your reply. I've not heard of the freewheel but I shall take a look. I'm riding it pretty much like a single speed which is a little heavy from standing start so I use the throttle to assist if I need but when rolling its geared so I can pedal comfortably at 17-20mph with the option to shift lower on more challenging inclines. Generally it works okay for me but I shall look at the option you've suggested.... I'm guessing on here the majority are sticking within.... erm.... certain limits shall we say but you being vfr400 maybe I should have used R1 so you can appreciate the max motor speed interest... I'm an engineer so made my own torque arm... please see picture attached.... cheers

Attachments

Camber3673

Jun 6, 2019
Hey vfr....apologies, I've just viewed the pics I posted.... they were the 1st completed project pictures..... after taking it out I've gone back to the big ring on the front. I removed the 2 lower rings but reattached the front selector to stop the chain jumping off.... please see picture attached...

Attachments

• Informative

VillageIdiotDan

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Peter, is that a weird photo or is there something wrong with your forks? It looks like you've ridden your bike into a brick wall.
Ah, reminds me of my brief foray into riding motorbikes :)

Peter - love how stealthy the bike looks, the battery being that low and central must make the bike feel amazing. If it wasn't for my newborn meaning a trip to Afan / terrain that's suitable for full suss is a once-a-year trip I'd be tempted to copy!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lovely torque arms.

Reactions: Camber3673

Camber3673

Jun 6, 2019
Why not try a mid drive it is a lot less weight plus same :D love the look of the battery pack how many cells did you useView attachment 30770
Hey Peter. The battery is a single pack measuring 127x 80x 345mm bought from dhgate... the battery, controls and wiring are contained in the housing which is simply made from 150x70mm plastic flu extraction ducting. I had to raise the bottom half to 85mm inside dimension to accommodate the battery. The bike rolls great on single track but when you leave the ground you notice the weight of the rear hub. Totally understand your thoughts on mid drive but what I ride, ground clearance would be an issue on some of the more technical descents. Totally get the newborn thing but as I've had the camber from new the cost of this conversion excluding bike purchase was £450 for everything.... my next one will involve buying a bike or suitable frame to build from scratch.... this bike gets me to work and back every day and trails at the weekend... your bike looks neat vfr400 has a point though... your front forks appear a little.... erm.... not straight but sure it's just the pic

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The camera angle is misleading with the fork stickers had the bike from new not crashed it yet :eek: and the water proof bag that hides the cables is under the bars
Yes the centre gravity is very low and well balanced , this build was more about how little weight was added its easy to lift over a 5 bar gate and how natural the ride experience [ if I am honest this turned out to be to silly fast for me :oops: so its not had much use]
Had thought about a bash plate for the motor but already on to the next builds the bbs01 trike and the tsdz2 48v build no donor for this yet
Odd but I seem to spend more time building than riding now

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Hey Peter. The battery is a single pack measuring 127x 80x 345mm bought from dhgate... the battery, controls and wiring are contained in the housing which is simply made from 150x70mm plastic flu extraction ducting. I had to raise the bottom half to 85mm inside dimension to accommodate the battery. The bike rolls great on single track but when you leave the ground you notice the weight of the rear hub. Totally understand your thoughts on mid drive but what I ride, ground clearance would be an issue on some of the more technical descents. Totally get the newborn thing but as I've had the camber from new the cost of this conversion excluding bike purchase was £450 for everything.... my next one will involve buying a bike or suitable frame to build from scratch.... this bike gets me to work and back every day and trails at the weekend... your bike looks neat vfr400 has a point though... your front forks appear a little.... erm.... not straight but sure it's just the pic
Do you have a link to the seller you bought the battery from on DHgate? It looks superb like that, very stealth

Camber3673

Jun 6, 2019
Do you have a link to the seller you bought the battery from on DHgate? It looks superb like that, very stealth
Hi Joelectric, sorry only just seem your question..... my bad.... I'll look this afternoon and let you know any details I can find....

Camber3673

Jun 6, 2019
Hi Joelectric, sorry only just seem your question..... my bad.... I'll look this afternoon and let you know any details I can find....
Me again.... this is all the info I can find matey. I did originally find one that was only 70mm instead of the 80mm I ended up with hence the step in height of the battery and controller housing.... I've never used alliexpress as on dhgate it's a simple purchase..... hope this helps..... happy to answer any other queries you may have.... thank you for the stealth comment.... some do think it's a standard factory bike but obviously they aren't really into these enough to be able to spot the conversion straight awayScreenshot_20190619-124514_Samsung Internet_compress1.jpg

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
Me again.... this is all the info I can find matey. I did originally find one that was only 70mm instead of the 80mm I ended up with hence the step in height of the battery and controller housing.... I've never used alliexpress as on dhgate it's a simple purchase..... hope this helps..... happy to answer any other queries you may have.... thank you for the stealth comment.... some do think it's a standard factory bike but obviously they aren't really into these enough to be able to spot the conversion straight awayView attachment 30923
That's brilliant mate, thank's for all that info, going to have a look at them the now. cheers

Advertisers