2 Wisper Wayfarers have very different motor assist power??

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
Hi all,

We have 2 Wisper Wayfarer bikes both with 43v 700wh batteries. One was bought September 2020 new, and the other recently bought secondhand and is 2 years old, so about 2022.

The issue is that in the same riding modes, ie in Tour, the early Wayfarer bike will get up to 15mph with no effort put in, merely just turning the pedals, it'll gain speed up to 15mph(even in eco mode eventually this will happen) whereas the 2022 model will only get up to 11mph in Tour mode and stop accelerating as motor assistance stops?

Both bikes ridden by myself back to back, using the same battery, both bikes wheels are free spinning, no drag on brakes etc. Scenario is same for both bikes,

It feels like the early bike controller limits the motors power/current in each mode, whereas the later bike it's limited by a set speed in each of the modes?

Later Wayfarer speed is 8mph in Eco, 11mph in Tour and 13mph in Sport mode and achieves 15mph in Turbo mode. It just stops assisting once reaching these speeds.

In comparison, the early Wayfarer can get up to 15mph in the lowest Eco mode, it just takes longer to accelerate but it gets there.

Do you have any idea why 2 of the same bikes ride so differently from the motors power? Are they supplied with different controllers for different years built? One limits current, other limits assist speed?

The early bike has a motor code SY743227.5TL0104YS
The newer bike has a motor code AKM20121500391 95RX.RBA-4327.5
Both motors are 43v high torque.

Please let me know why you think there is such a difference in each of the modes of these Wayfarers and if there is something i can do to change the power settings of the slower one to match the early Wayfarer.

We've bought 2 of the same bikes to go touring on and be equal riding speed but one bike is significantly slower than the other and we don't know why as they're both mechanically very good.

Just confirmed this issue by lifting the rear wheel and rotating pedals, the early Wayfarer in Eco mode spins up quickly to 15.5mph.
The later Wayfarer only gets to 8.5mph.
Is this a controller issue?

Last edited:

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I've looked at the controllers in each bike, both the same except for Number and Date.

Early Wayfarer controller
Model: YCSH-A
Number. (145-015) 20200116002377
Date 2020-1

Later Wayfarer controller
Model: YCSH-A
Number. (145-034) 20201219003338
Date 2020-12

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I'm slowly getting more info on this searching internet.

The later 2022 Wayfarer uses an AKM motor and the earlier Wayfarer uses an SY motor.

Wisper list each controller specific to the motor, and they're not interchangeable as connections and number of wires is different.

Presume the later AKM motor controller is programmed for limitation on speed in each mode, and the early SY motor controller is current limited.

Can David confirm this?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's nothing to do with the motors. The power and speed is determined by the controllers. That leaves two possibilities: Either the controllers have different software in them, or it's possible to switch modes in the controller settings, like you can with the KT controllers. Hopefully Wisper can enlighten us.

The controllers might be identical, but have different settings for each motor, like the number of magnets for the speed sensor. They've pre-set the settings so that their customers don't have to fiddle with them, and they might be locked behind a password.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
I've had a reply from Wisper uk.

The wayfarer with the AKM motor will need a software update and after that it will ride the same as our other one.

Last edited:

Advertisers