250-500w or 1000w kit?

Robinchu

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2016
Byfleet
hi

I am diving into the world of e-bikes. So far the only one that has made sense is the Gocycle but cannot afford this and I have a 34 mile round trip commute. Will be doing road with a little bit of riverside path.

So my plan is to go for a hybrid (trek or carrera) 700c wheels standard alu frame and rear hub kit.

Looking at Dillenger 1000w, 10ah kit or the 250-500w kit by cyclotricity from electric bike conversions.

Thoughts?

Reactions: LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
hi

I am diving into the world of e-bikes. So far the only one that has made sense is the Gocycle but cannot afford this and I have a 34 mile round trip commute. Will be doing road with a little bit of riverside path.

So my plan is to go for a hybrid (trek or carrera) 700c wheels standard alu frame and rear hub kit.

Looking at Dillenger 1000w, 10ah kit or the 250-500w kit by cyclotricity from electric bike conversions.

Thoughts?
Don't just look at the numbers....a 1000 watt direct drive motor has similar acceleration to a 250 watt BPM hub drive,the gears within the latter dramatically changes the torque at take off and you can stay legal.
Why do you want a small wheeled bike?
What is the nature of your 17 mile commute?
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't fit a poor kit on a good bike.
there are plenty of choices for the same budget.
also, it's important that you should fit a legal kit.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
BBS01 is particularly suitable for long commutes because it puts less stress on the wheels.

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
Thanks for your help. Not particularly wanting a small wheeled bike, but the relative lightness of the bike and the power distribution on the Gocycle worked for me and there was less of a drag post 15-17 mph due its relative lightness.

I will have a look at the above and report back :7)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you want to do 34 miles a day, that's a big ask on your body and a bigger ask on the bike.All bikes need regular maintenance when used as daily transport. Kalkhoff for example recommend regular maintenance every 650 miles (1000kms).
It's possible to do 34 miles a day with a folding bike but you will spend a lot of time maintaining it. Do remember that manufacturers do not expect you to use the bike for this kind of mileage. You should ask the bike shop if the bike you are buying is good for this before buying.

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
Don't just look at the numbers....a 1000 watt direct drive motor has similar acceleration to a 250 watt BPM hub drive,the gears within the latter dramatically changes the torque at take off and you can stay legal.
Why do you want a small wheeled bike?
What is the nature of your 17 mile commute?
KudosDave
It is a couple of miles of firm off road paths and then road, so a hybrid would be ideal. The Gocycle appealed because it provided a smooth transmission of power without drag after hitting the limit and was relatively light.

I read the thread on long distance commuting and I am not that advanced an engineer to be able to do what has been done there. Am I chasing a pipe dream?

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
don't fit a poor kit on a good bike.
there are plenty of choices for the same budget.
also, it's important that you should fit a legal kit.
When you say there are plenty of choices for the same budget could you direct me to some of them? Thanks

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
As the Dillinger is around £500 plus bike a budget of £800 can be assumed.
A number of traders here offer complete bikes for that.
eBay is awash with new bikes, various kits as well.
Hub or mid drive with 15 Ah should do it easily.
However please ask before buying as there may be some lemons.

Reactions: Robinchu

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the 8-Fun BBS01 should fit your requirements. Eclipse, Panda and woosh sell them.
For a stealthier look, you should look for a rear BPM from Oxygen or Woosh new SWX02 kit which arrives later this week. The SWX02 has about the same power as the Oxygen BPM.
This is the woosh SWX02 kit fitted to the test bike that I rode last summer:

Reactions: LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks for your help. Not particularly wanting a small wheeled bike, but the relative lightness of the bike and the power distribution on the Gocycle worked for me and there was less of a drag post 15-17 mph due its relative lightness.

I will have a look at the above and report back :7)
Unless you are super fit,you will find 34 miles per day a challenge on a small wheeled bike,thats 2.5 hrs riding per day.
IMHO I think you will find it less of a test on a bigger wheeled bike.
I know some will say that at 20mph its a lot quicker but 20 mph in London requires constant concentration.
KudosDave

D

Deleted member 4366

Any of the small 250w hub-motors run at 48v will give similar performance to the Go-cycle at full power. Those big 500, 750 and 1000w motors are too big and heavy for a bicycle. they work very wll if you want to cruise at constant high speed without pedalling like an electric motorbike. the best cycling experience comes when you have a lightweight motor that can deliver a decent punch, which most of them can at 48v.

I've never heard of hub-motors wearing out. I've seen a few go rusty when they got water in (often from incorrect installation), a few with damaged cables (from falls or other abuse) and a few stuck clutches. I'm not too sure why Trex thinks they wear out unless they've been putting crappy ones in his Woosh bikes, which I doubt is the case. Perhaps he would like to explain the basis of his statement.

How heavy are you, Rob?

D

Deleted member 4366

The SWX02 has about the same power as the Oxygen BPM.
Oxygen don't and never have used the BPM motor. The 13Ah kit has the larger, stronger and more powerful (than SWX02) Bafang CST, and the 11Ah one has the Bafang SWX02C. The "C" is important. It means a motor with a cassette spline as opposed to the less desirable freewheel thread.

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
you want to do 34 miles a day, that's a big ask on your body and a bigger ask on the bike. Small folding bikes are built for 5 miles a day, not 34. All bikes need regular maintenance when used as daily transport. Kalkhoff for example recommend regular maintenance every 650 miles (1000kms).
It's possible to do 34 miles a day with a folding bike but you will spend a lot of time maintaining it. Do remember that manufacturers do not expect you to use the bike for this kind of mileage.
Not wanting to buy a folder, don't consider the Gocycle as folder either as it requires dismantling. My road bike does this with ease, but my fitness levels are declining so the ride is too long to be practicable daily.

I am going to try the Momentum Upstart this weekend as a pre-built option.

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
Any of the small 250w hub-motors run at 48v will give similar performance to the Go-cycle at full power. Those big 500, 750 and 1000w motors are too big and heavy for a bicycle. they work very wll if you want to cruise at constant high speed without pedalling like an electric motorbike. the best cycling experience comes when you have a lightweight motor that can deliver a decent punch, which most of them can at 48v.

I've never heard of hub-motors wearing out. I've seen a few go rusty when they got water in (often from incorrect installation), a few with damaged cables (from falls or other abuse) and a few stuck clutches. I'm not too sure why Trex thinks they wear out unless they've been putting crappy ones in his Woosh bikes, which I doubt is the case. Perhaps he would like to explain the basis of his statement.

How heavy are you, Rob?
100kg 6ft blonde blue eyes.

Reactions: flecc

Robinchu

May 7, 2016
Byfleet
As the Dillinger is around £500 plus bike a budget of £800 can be assumed.
A number of traders here offer complete bikes for that.
eBay is awash with new bikes, various kits as well.
Hub or mid drive with 15 Ah should do it easily.
However please ask before buying as there may be some lemons.
Thanks I will keep doing my research.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't remember saying hub motors wearing out. I did say that the clutch unit and ball bearings need replacing every 4 to 5 thousand miles and they are cheap to buy.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
is it right that the Oxygen E-Mate MTB 13AH is fitted with SWX08C?
BTW the woosh SWX02 is wound with code 10 and has freewheel thread.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am going to try the Momentum Upstart this weekend as a pre-built option.
if you look for prebuilt option, woosh have the Karoo with better components (crankset, brakes, battery) and cheaper too.

Advertisers