26 x 3.0 Rear tyre. (Extra wide.)

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Hi guys. I'm converting a downhill MTB into a super electric bike specifically for trails, it will not be used for transport.
Here's a thread I've started about it with a picture:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/high-power-conversion-advice-please-bmc-v4-motor-downhill-bike.19049/

I'm debating replacing the existing rear 2.5" tyre with a 3" tyre. It is worn and needs replacement one way or another.
This one is what I'm looking at:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/tyres/duro-wildlife-leopard-26-x-3-tyre.html

I'm after some advice from anyone in the know.
From what I can establish 3" tyres had a relatively short popularity in downhill mountain biking for various reasons and people in general now use 2.5inch.
I'm thinking though that given the extra power of a 2500watt ebike and the extra weight that it will be an advantage.

I come from motorcycling where it is very normal to have a fat rear tyre and a thinner front for off roading.
This is my plan for this conversion but before I spend the money I wanted to throw it out there and see what people think.
Ta.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I reckon you'd be more likely to get a knowledgeable response from a dedicated mtb forum _ Just forget to mention it's a powered bike
:rolleyes:

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Thanks guys. It will fit in the frame fine.
They have been used in downhill mountain biking but they are not popular anymore for a number of good reasons.

The fact that this bike will be electric, quicker, heavier and have more power to put down I think means it will be a good move.
On a MTB forum without the knowledge that it's a powered bike I'm pretty sure they'd say that 2.5" is better, it's the general consensus at the moment.

Spotty dog

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2014
I have a surly troll im running slick tyres for road light trail use but have a pair of duro lepoards they are really heavy I am unable to seat the bead on the rim properly.I use halo SAS rims which are wide at 37mm when on they look really big I will only use them in snow a cheap way to a semi fat bike.
With electric assist I won't be so concerned about the weight have you looked at surly Dirt Wizards they look similar size but much lighter.

Advertisers