36V Bosch tool battery for e-bike use

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
This is looking more and more like a Bosch hand grenade!

So if the tool develops a short, or the output is deliberately shorted, there is nothing to stop the whole thing going bang. There is effectively no BMS on discharge, so if one cell goes out of balance, power gets dumped into it and it could burn. There is no balance function...
This is a 2.6Ahr battery, I guess its possible the others are different ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No cutout in this 2.6Ahr battery, the +ve and -ve from the cell bank goes straight to the external battery terminals.

Fuse is labeled 1 607 502 093.

View attachment 53274
That's interesting. Don't forget the battery and the device that it's working work as a team. It's probable that the LVC is in the device, not the battery. It looks like it does the charge control by temperature rather than voltage. That Bosch battery kit is the same.

Last edited:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
As far as I know, tool batteries are usually designed for very quick charge/discharge times and the temperature sensors play a very important role.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What is interesting from the video about the strip down and recelling of a genuine Bosch pack is you can see the PCB has a fuse built in. It would be good to know what value it has. The eBay/AliExpress board does not seem to have this. There seem to be quite a few other differences as well. From the Big Clive video of the Aldi pack strip down it looks like microcontrollers are used to monitor the pack. This would require proprietary firmware. If the PCB is a copy, either they would have had to steal this software, or tried to code their own. Interesting...

View attachment 53223
The Ebay kit has a fuse soldered to the red wire half way along.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It doesn't matter what it is. We know that the battery can do 30A. You don't need anything near that, so stick a 25A one in or whatever floats your boat. You can unsolder it and solder in a car blade type fuse or any other type. A fuse is a fuse.

Reactions: guerney

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
As far as I know, tool batteries are usually designed for very quick charge/discharge times and the temperature sensors play a very important role.
You would think the temp sensor would play an important role, but it seems as if the sensor circuit is grounded when attached to a charger or a tool?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
A fuse is a fuse.
Well there are different types, like slow or quick blow...

It's likely to be 30A as are there are 2 strings of cells, each with a max rating of 15A.

Do a search for glass fuses, should be able to find something at 30A:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
You would think the temp sensor would play an important role, but it seems as if the sensor circuit is grounded when attached to a charger or a tool?
I cant answer that. There website below claims 'Protection against overheating through temperature monitoring' in link below. Many mobile phone batteries also have an extra terminal for temp sensing. My understanding is that if you want quick charging, its best to monitor the temperature.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I cant answer that. There website below claims 'Protection against overheating through temperature monitoring' in link below. Many mobile phone batteries also have an extra terminal for temp sensing. My understanding is that if you want quick charging, its best to monitor the temperature.
The PCB on the 18V battery is very different, for example, it seems to have a proper BMS, monitoring individual cells.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
It appears the 6.0Ahr batteries are diferent, someone is selling the battery packs themselves with this claim "Our Bosch battery Pack comes with an original 36V 6,0Ah Electronic components"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234725132393?hash=item36a6b54869:g:3h4AAOSw6UdjQA2q&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0FlJ7Aw78J8xsJlzo5WgqWE3/tupcMGHxo5UQV8xH7AbSlDpAZdzqiHdzvMGgiKDRXKrQE6t0CcYBJSnLqg+Lr8W4AQdo/Pg8p0igdZFM7jWmEtwMzTMA/1e2FaAFc7/WXgYnjAaZ+RnMy0gm/lJEtvM9Ey+372/K9lpFoqimTkGkB8wQ55ra5vlNd2jNHE3qXaOgExpau8F0Ixfu+OFb8Lsuf5xjAWaP/DhewMCnSsdSvRR7Ml3Ywju2tKuFs659h0qQSUUWCikOn55ViS+feM=|tkp:Bk9SR4iPzba8Yg

Now the ends of the pack show what appear to be balance wires;

We cannot see if there are ballance wires in the middle of each row of cells.

However the look of the electronics board does not immediatly suggest it has a bunch of power FETs;

• Informative
Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The same seller has a similar 4Ah unit and that has the same PCB. The end photo on that you can see 10 wires, so it looks like it is a proper BMS. If there are power MOSFETs, they may be on the underside.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
There are no MOSFETs. You can see that the power terminals are connected directly to the cell-pack.
Yes, I think you're right. So it balances but still no LVC, or individual cell protection on discharge and current over protection only by fuse.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Maybe if the battery goes out of balance the 'controller' senses that and somehow uses the central connector to flag an error to the charger or tool, which stops the battery being used or charged.

The key is to look at a charger, is it able to read a signal put out on the top leaf of the central connector .....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've heard tale that some newer phones shut down when a battery circuit reports a temperature of over 40 degrees Centigrade (worryingly, this is lower than cream cheese melting temperature). I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a massive company like Bosch has destruction tested many batteries, and discovered that excessively elevated temperatures of battery packs is an early indication of imminent failure - would ebike fires be prevented perhaps, if abnormally high temperatures were detected (and the battery cease being used) several charges before they burst into flames?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It appears the 6.0Ahr batteries are diferent, someone is selling the battery packs themselves with this claim "Our Bosch battery Pack comes with an original 36V 6,0Ah Electronic components"
the battery in the picture can't be a 36V. Look at where the red and black wires are soldered to.

Advertisers